Funniest Fad Diets, 'Tips and Exercise routines

Hi,

This group sounds like a great place to vent on all the stupid stuff that get says about weight loss/gain and diets. Looks like it does need a little revival, so though I would start this thread and see what interestingly DUMB diets are still getting circulated out there - if only to make me feel just a bit better about taking what some see as the long road back to a healthy weight.

So here's a couple to start:

- The Candy diet: worked as a diet suppressant. Apparently this one was around in the 70's and 80's - became unpopular when AIDS became a big concern as it was made by 'Ayds', rather than because people started wondering why only eating a box of sweets a day was not the brightest idea.

- The Dukan diet: certain foods on certain days only. But don't worry, the initial 'attack phase' only lasts 5-10 days.

- Thin shot: claims to control appetite, boost energy levels, improve focus, and make you happy. It is sugar-free and contains zero calories. Goodness must rush out and buy immediately, cause I won't simple pee out the excess vitamins and minerals, hit a low after the caffeine wears off or feel any of the side effects (anxiety, jitteriness, nervousness, and insomnia)... happiness here I come.

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    This has to be up there.... Breatharianism: http://boingboing.net/2005/06/17/worlds-worst-excerpt.html
  • TMLPatrick
    .... and oh man.... those stupid "fitness" shoes that are unstable so that you supposedly use more of your leg muscles. The lengths people will go to not exercise.
  • TMLPatrick
    I actually kind of think Paleo is stupid, too.... it sounds plausible on the surface, but why ignore 10,000 years of human intellect for pseudo-scientific speculation on what our ancestors ate? Never-mind the fact that our ancestors likely had entirely different digestive fauna than a modern human. In other words, I'd like to think that I'm just simply *better* than primitive humans....
  • This has to be up there.... Breatharianism: http://boingboing.net/2005/06/17/worlds-worst-excerpt.html

Woh! 12 strands of DNA LOL!! Only so sad that some people didn't actually believe she is legit! What a con! Might as well be trying to teach people to walk on water - "Oh, you only sink? Clearly you don't have enough faith".

There is so much back and forth about whether there are good and bad sugars, low/no carb vs 'everything in moderation', but I'm with you on the evolution - we started living longer when our diets got changed up (among other things). Our bodies might not have adapted to a full Macca's diet or the stuff we manage to manipulate so its not really 'food' anymore, but I would like to think we have moved beyond nuts and berries. Hope someone has also thought about the man hours they put into simply finding and gathering food. Pretty sure if I had to run to catch up with a herd of aurochs or range across miles of territory every week I'd be losing weight on whatever I ate.
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    I get amused by a lot of difference advice that really boils down to "find a way to eat less calories over a day/week".

This idea gets dressed up as:
    * avoid sugar
    * avoid animal fats
    * eat 6 small meals and no snacks
    * avoid gluten
    * restrict eating to a 4 / 6 / 10 hour window
    * and so on ...

On one hand, this is fine as different people will find different approaches easier for them to restrict their calorie intake. On the other hand, many of the above are presented as the ONLY way. It is disconcerting when people are warned against other methods as 'dangerous' even though they may not be and even when they have been working for the person for some time.