Heybales - HRM and exercise intensity

Options
skbarton
skbarton Posts: 141 Member
Thought I'd start a new topic - here is what you said in the SS thread:

"Curves is more likely medium, if not high depending on how you do it. I'd say do a treadmill at 4mph flat, either get HR for that effort, or really see how you breath and how it feels, then go do the Curves workout.
If it feels like less or same effort, medium cardio, if it feels like a whole lot more effort, high cardio.

And that can change as you become more fit. My walking flat 4mph barely hits HR of 90 bpm. So except for walking, all my exercise is way in to the high cardio level. I even mow the lawn fast, and out of curiosity found my HR is about 120 doing that. So even that is high cardio.

So currently you could walk 4 mph flat and hit 120 HR, and Curves just hits that level by nature of the workout.
But after a long while your walking 4mph only hits 100 HR, and Curves has remained at 120 or you can now push heavier and reach 130 average over the entire workout - now it's high cardio."

On my treadmill at 4 mph, my HR per a Polar FT7 averaged in the 140's with a peak at 153. Felt like race walking and was not a pace I could sustain. I can sustain 3 mph and my HR ran in the 130's. Per the HRM I seem to average 115 - 120 at Curves, depending on how I push it on the "cardiac/rest" boards after doing a machine and my peak HR has been 135 - 145, typically on the stair steppers.

Knowing the HRM isn't the greatest on weight/strenght/resistance/upper body work, I'm thinking moderate/medium on the Curves? I easily sweat there but can carry on a conversation unless I am pushing myself on the cardio portion.

Replies

• skbarton
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curves for sure medium cardio for you right now then.

That is an excellent baseline you have now for 3 and 4 mph. I'd write that down somewhere.
    Like in the spreadsheet, far right column next to those activity levels, those are unused cells even though not yellow. You can put that avg HR right in there as reminder.

I'll bet in 1 or 2 months, you've lowered the avg HR by 10 bpm.
  • skbarton
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I've added that and have used other unused cells for other information, HR tidbits, and so on. Thanks for all the work you've done on the spreadsheet and the advice you give!
  • heybales
    Options
    Did you get the new spreadsheet on 10/23?

Change in activity calc to take in to account the fact that women's metabolism and TDEE is lower by 5-10% compared to a man at the same LBM.
  • skbarton
    Options
    Yes, thanks, I did. And unhid the future you tab :)

Question - simple setup tab states that "If the TDEG currently is close to your BMR because you have a lot to lose and/or are doing lifting rather than high cardio, suggest you take 1 day every week and eat at TDEE. Make it a lifting day for max benefit, at least a workout day at minimum." The SS gives me a BMR of 1327 and a TDEG of 1327. I want to lose at least 35 pounds so that could fit into the the "a lot to lose" part but I don't consider Curves to be lifting per se - should I eat back exercise calories to be sure I net my BMR? I have included the Curves (3 days a week 35 min per session average) and 2 walking days a week (average 30 min 3 MPH pace) on the simple setup page.

Guess I should add in there the SS states my TDEE is 1581 yet my fitbit has been averaging 1700+ the last few weeks even wtih adjusting my height down.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes, thanks, I did. And unhid the future you tab :)

Question - simple setup tab states that "If the TDEG currently is close to your BMR because you have a lot to lose and/or are doing lifting rather than high cardio, suggest you take 1 day every week and eat at TDEE. Make it a lifting day for max benefit, at least a workout day at minimum." The SS gives me a BMR of 1327 and a TDEG of 1327. I want to lose at least 35 pounds so that could fit into the the "a lot to lose" part but I don't consider Curves to be lifting per se - should I eat back exercise calories to be sure I net my BMR? I have included the Curves (3 days a week 35 min per session average) and 2 walking days a week (average 30 min 3 MPH pace) on the simple setup page.

Guess I should add in there the SS states my TDEE is 1581 yet my fitbit has been averaging 1700+ the last few weeks even wtih adjusting my height down.

If you have a lot to lose (your reason a little, plus smaller TDEE, not the "or" part of lifting reason), your body is more willing to give up fat without a fight.
    But because it could still impact the hormones, that advice to do TDEE once per week is needed.

That will balance out not netting BMR on the workout days. Which actually within 48 hrs you literally do.

Wow, if your TDEE for being a woman didn't have 7.5% taken off, the TDEE actually would match FitBit.

1700 - 7.5% = 1573. Mighty close to the 1581 in activity calc.

So there is no easy way to adjust the height to compensate more for the smaller TDEE per LBM, for the FitBit to be more correct.

If you ate back to BMR, you'd lose your 250 cal deficit you appear to have max on most days.
  • skbarton
    Options

If you have a lot to lose (your reason a little, plus smaller TDEE, not the "or" part of lifting reason), your body is more willing to give up fat without a fight.
    But because it could still impact the hormones, that advice to do TDEE once per week is needed.

That will balance out not netting BMR on the workout days. Which actually within 48 hrs you literally do.

Wow, if your TDEE for being a woman didn't have 7.5% taken off, the TDEE actually would match FitBit.

1700 - 7.5% = 1573. Mighty close to the 1581 in activity calc.

So there is no easy way to adjust the height to compensate more for the smaller TDEE per LBM, for the FitBit to be more correct.

If you ate back to BMR, you'd lose your 250 cal deficit you appear to have max on most days.

So this week I will try eating TDEG with one day at TDEE. Hormones are already screwed up due to menopause, but why mess them up any more LOL

Good news is while I'm not dropping pounds, I am dropping inches, FM and BF%. My BMR continues to increase as does my LBM. Since starting Curves in July, I have lost .6 pounds but the better news is my average BF% has decreased from 43.54 to 40.52. LBM has increased from 94.3 to 99. FM decreased from 72.7 to 67.4. BMR increased from 1294 to 1340. Overall inches lost 9 inches. I LOVE the progress tab - it gives such encouragement to see differences!