Stage 1 Squats & Deadlifts

Options
lawlorka
lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
So I've just been preparing myself for my second attempt at starting this again and I've confused myself.

In Workout A - it just says Squats? What type of squats? Bodyweight, barbell, dumbell?

Same with Workout B - it just says Deadlift? Barbell? Romanian? Dumbell?

Confused!!!

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to be snarky, but please make sure you read the book and grasp the ideas behind it before you start. The book explains things really well.

To answer your question: Barbell

Barbell back squats and barbell deadlifts, like the illustrations/explanations in the book.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, barbell back squats and barbell deadlifts. I agree with the comment above. Make sure you read the whole book all the way through--or at least give it another once over to refresh. I had to read it a couple times to really get it all and still skim through every couple weeks to refresh my memory. There's so much information in there!

The variations of deadlifts and squats that you're seeing are called out in later stages of the program.

Good luck!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have read the enitre book - twice. I was just going over it again today before heading to the gym when I noticed the later references to barbell squats and deadlifts and wondered why he didn't specifically say that the stage 1 workouts are barbell squats/deadlifts. (made me more curious becase he says Workout A Squat (page 157) and the description of the barbell squat is actually on p158. 157 describes a standard squat form)

I did Workout A earlier in the week and did barbell squats - I was just double checking I hadn't done the wrong exercise. And today I did the barbell deadlift.

Thanks
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I also read the entire book and was confused. Barbell it is!