How do you do more fat and less protein??

Options
Ok, I guess before my last post I should have mentioned that I am completely new to the low carb/high fat lifestyle. I used a keto calculator and determined that i need to eat 126g of fat and 85g of protein. I have used the database on MFP to look for some options and I realized that staying at or below 85g of protein is HARD.

Does anyone have any meal ideas? Or know where I can look for meal ideas?

I am typically at school from 8:30am - 9:00pm so meals that I can cook at an earlier time and take with me would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You need to take every opportunity to add fat.

Caveman Keto's website has some very good recipes. I made the Chilli last week, and took that in for lunches. The base macros have a little more protein vs fat than I try to eat, so I add cheese and sour cream to boost up the macros.

I also like supplementing with recipes from "The Fat Fast Cookbook" by Dana Carpender. The Ham and Cheese Egg Cups are super easy to make, and to take for lunches. I usually take one of these for a lunch, but my husband takes two.

I also find that kicking off the day with bulletproof coffee really helps the fat targets (vs a protein-based breakfast).

Choose snacks that have higher fat and lower protein. Pecans are higher fat and lower protein than almonds (and macadamia nuts beat them both). Look for higher fat cheese (softer cheeses usually have higher fats... go brie!)

But there are so many ways to increase fat - Butter, Heavy Cream, Sour cream, Cheese, Cream Cheese, Avocado, higher fat meats, dark meat Chicken with skin, bacon, cooking with more fat, full fat dressings.... and the best part is that these taste delicious!

Here's a good article on some high fat foods to add into your plan:
    http://www.carbsmart.com/10-healthy-high-fat-foods-perfect-for-nutritional-ketosis.html

(I love the part where he talks about the ground beef. Make sure you use 70% ground beef, then cook it in butter, add cheese, and top it with some sour cream!) :laugh: Gotta love it!

Good Luck!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ^what kira said pretty much.

There is also coconut oil, ghee, lard/tallow, olive oil, sesame oil ( use these last two raw & in smaller amounts) to make homemade dressings. Add extra fat to every protein you eat. :bigsmile:
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump