Cost to race an Ironman

Options
FrenchMob
FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
Found this interesting article;

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/i-am-ironman/article14815416/

This assumes you're starting out with nothing, but still interesting.

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The high cost of Mdot! Ugghh!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I looked at a new bike this weekend. The Bike was $2500 I loved the bike... The Wheels that were on it were priced at $2750. I wish I had 5G's to drop on a hobby that brings me pain!

I do need a new bike.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    LOL. I try not to think about it. Good news is once you've got all the gear it's a bit cheaper. That is good news right?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I looked at a new bike this weekend. The Bike was $2500 I loved the bike... The Wheels that were on it were priced at $2750. I wish I had 5G's to drop on a hobby that brings me pain!

I do need a new bike.
    What happen to the Giant?
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I do need a new bike.
    I still have her... Cant get rid of her till I upgrade right? :) I dont really need a new bike I just want a new bike!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I do need a new bike.
    I still have her... Cant get rid of her till I upgrade right? :) I dont really need a new bike I just want a new bike!

need....want.....I don't see a difference!:happy:
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    it will cost your social life :D
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You don't need all that. I'm doing my first full IM in sept and I won't have 1/3 of that stuff. If your not pro why? An aero helmet? Really? I have a road bike ( bought on eBay) and a helmet. My bike shoes are from eBay. I did buy a used wet suit but I also rented one a ways back and I know people who don't have wetsuits and finish a full IM in freezing weather..running is just running. I hardly wear a garmin and half the time my headphones to my iPod are broken. I did my last hall IM without a garmin or bike speedometer
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    that article is wrong on one aspect: don't wear a trisuit for an Iron Man. You need separate top and shorts, for when you have to stop and pee... or worse.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    You don't need all that. I'm doing my first full IM in sept and I won't have 1/3 of that stuff. If your not pro why? An aero helmet? Really? I have a road bike ( bought on eBay) and a helmet. My bike shoes are from eBay. I did buy a used wet suit but I also rented one a ways back and I know people who don't have wetsuits and finish a full IM in freezing weather..running is just running. I hardly wear a garmin and half the time my headphones to my iPod are broken. I did my last hall IM without a garmin or bike speedometer

you are the rarity then. many triathletes, even amateurs will spend tons of money on the best and most expensive equipment for race day.

the best money on triathlon that i've spent is the $50 a year for my tri club membership, and $12 on speed laces.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You stop to pee? I just keep riding or running and spray down with water. :)

Check out the times for IM Kona 20 years ago and look at them today. There has not been a drastic difference in finishing times, but the technology has become more 'advanced.' All the proof you need that the biggest changes an athlete can make to affect their time is to put in the right training.

But those carbon wheels and arrow helmet look great. Too bad most people negate their effects through other actions during their race. And yes, I am guilty.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    You stop to pee? I just keep riding or running and spray down with water. :)

Check out the times for IM Kona 20 years ago and look at them today. There has not been a drastic difference in finishing times, but the technology has become more 'advanced.' All the proof you need that the biggest changes an athlete can make to affect their time is to put in the right training.

But those carbon wheels and arrow helmet look great. Too bad most people negate their effects through other actions during their race. And yes, I am guilty.

i don't know if i'll ever bee that dedicated.

but i meant in transitions.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yeah but how much does the tattoo cost....?
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Someone I know locally told me last summer that she did her graduate degree paper on this. She calculated it to be around $35,000. (I don't remember the actual number, just that it was around that.) I kind of laughed at her and said that couldn't be true.

With my surgery and several months of therapy afterwards for the broken wrist I got in the bike leg, I think I'm running close to $28K already.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    and family...
    Did the person begin training to accomplish a goal or escape the relationship?

Pete Simon, a fellow coach and psychologist in Tucson, uses the term “Divorce by Triathlon” to describe someone who turns to long training hours as a method for escaping a boring or unsatisfying relationship. Whatever the reason, the new athlete is seeking excitement and challenges away from their old, normal life. Often, these changes turn in to a catalyst that ends the relationship. http://www.wannatri.com/uncategorized/dont-turn-your-spouse-into-an-exercise-widow/
  • scott091501
    Options
    and family...
    Did the person begin training to accomplish a goal or escape the relationship?

Pete Simon, a fellow coach and psychologist in Tucson, uses the term “Divorce by Triathlon” to describe someone who turns to long training hours as a method for escaping a boring or unsatisfying relationship. Whatever the reason, the new athlete is seeking excitement and challenges away from their old, normal life. Often, these changes turn in to a catalyst that ends the relationship. http://www.wannatri.com/uncategorized/dont-turn-your-spouse-into-an-exercise-widow/

This aspect is way overblown. I find the athletes that have issues are the athletes who aren't realistic in setting expectations with their families about the time the process will take.
  • scott091501
    Options
    http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/11347268687/hawaii-ironman-secrets

Good article on not having to spend 20 hours a week training to succeed at an Ironman. Now I will say to pull it off to this extreme you have to have a ton of base to work off of and be extremely talented (see that he has no swim workouts really scheduled at all).