Marathon lesson learned.

Options
nicruns
nicruns Posts: 201 Member
My first marathon (in 2011) was experimental.
I was training over the winter for a local 30k event, and thought: 12.2 km more...!? WHY don't I just keep training for an extra month & half and try a full marathon.
It went well, I wasn't stressed about finishing time or anything, had friends & family along the route and enjoyed the CRAP out of my first marathon
(I finished in 5:14)
& I knew I wanted to do another.
So fast forward to 2013.
I had a free entry I had earned from previously volunteering, and thought: this will be my shot at establishing a new PB at the marathon distance!
Another local event, PLENTY of training support, I had lots of time to train for it, so away I went.
I committed to the marathon goal in May 2013 and the event was just yesterday (Oct 20/2013).
I didn't complete 100% of the training, but was regularly supplementing my training with lots of cross training (swimming + cycling) and strength training.
I had aches and pains along the way, but nothing overly detrimental.
I was relaxed and excited for marathon Sunday!
The training was enjoyable, I participated in a handful of lead-up events to make sure I was on track with my training (a 20k event in July) + a 30k in August, and felt confident that I was on pace to set a new personal best!

Then came race day...
PICTURE PERFECT weather.
Sunny, cool, no wind... just gorgeous.
The first 5-10km were fairly slow (due to the crowds), but I felt strong (physically and mentally).
Then I felt a twinge in my left knee at the 19km mark that I thought would go away.
& sure enough... at the 28km mark.... ouch.
(& uhoh.)

It was a new knee pain.
Sharp stabbing pain at the inside-side of the knee that just wouldn't ease up while I was running.
(runner's knee perhaps?)
I tried breaking it down into manageable pieces "just run between these two traffic lights"
but the pain was just brutal.
So I walked most of the final 12km of the race (save for that final mile).

I knew it was a new personal worst, but I didn't check my time until I got home.

Turns out... I only added 9 min to my marathon time.
Maybe this should have been a relief?
Yet, I couldn't help but dwell and think of the personal best that could have (& should have!) been.

This week, I'll get my knee checked out to find out just what sort of treatment/recovery will be needed to FIX this, then after a bit of rest, I'll refocus, GET some of this extra weight off, and then GET that pb in Spring of 2014.

Happy I finished and that I can say I've completed two marathons... yet I'm still disappointed.
I'm hoping the disappointment/frustration will turn to renewed motivation...?
(but that transition isn't happening QUITE quickly enough!)