Have you tried "breading" your meats with nuts?

Options
kkerri
kkerri Posts: 276 Member
I just tried today and it was so good. I finely chopped almonds in the food processor, added some salt, garlic and seasoning and breaded my chicken in it (dipped it in eggs). I was a bit skeptical, but it was really good and easy. My kids liked it, too.

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yes. I make a pecan crusted chicken that is amazing!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Only coconut, in the form of coconut flour, and only rarely on fish or shrimp.

Wouldn't touch any other nut-based meal with a long, metal pole.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Only coconut, in the form of coconut flour, and only rarely on fish or shrimp.

Wouldn't touch any other nut-based meal with a long, metal pole.

I've also only done coconut flour on fish a few times--worked really well.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've done it with fish and macadamia nut and I've made chicken pieces coated in almond meal and spices. I'm careful with how many nuts I consume though. I haven't really tried coconut flour.. but should.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I second the pecan crusted chicken, very tastey!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Yup - I usually use coconut or almond flour. Very tasty! :)

It's been a while though - maybe I need to get on that! haha
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love making chicken nuggets this way!! in fact, I might do it today and mix the almond meal with some cajun seasoning.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    no, but I do stuff it with nuts :smile: ...can't stand coconut flour...but pecan crusted sounds good !
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yeah, must be our household, cause I don't like using nuts for any time of 'breading'. I tried coconut flour once, but the coating floated away from the food and began orbiting the naked food in the oil :angry:

When I used almond meal, I found it waaay too rich. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Netrition yesterday, I can't wait to try some of that out.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've done almond flour, the first batch in the oil turns out perfectly, but the second and third, etc, has burned bits of almonds on them, so I don't bread and then fry anymore. I've never tried baking without frying.

Coconut oil absorbs too much oil and gets soggy. I've never gotten a crispy coating with coconut flour. I've seen recipes that call for tapioca flour or arrowroot in addition to the coconut flour to allow for a stickier breading (that sticks better to the meat/itself) and allows for a crispier coating, but I've not tried them.

I have pretty much given up on breading anything and just pan sear it now instead.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to love pistachio crusted chicken in my pre-paleo days. It just occurred to me that this can be paleo! Yay, new (old) recipe!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to try that. Any tips?
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Do you guys bake it such things in the oven or pan fry it or something else? I tried this pecan coated chicken last night and it tasted ok, but it was way too dry for my liking. I got the recipe off from a paleo site and it called for oven baking so I did that . I may pan fry it next time, but I usually do not have success pan frying coated stuff because the coating wet and lumpy instead of crispy .
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil absorbs too much oil and gets soggy. I've never gotten a crispy coating with coconut flour.

Isn't that a shocker :laugh:

In regards to this and any all comments on coconut flour, I'd strongly advise baking rather than frying. The results are a lot crispier.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to try that. Any tips?

Here you go Allen. This is the recipe I use. :flowerforyou:

http://everydaypaleo.com/pecan-crusted-chicken/
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just baked mine, but thought it wasn't dry at all. I did dip it in eggs first.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We tried making chicken kievs but it was a bit crap. I should have added some seasoning or something - and gone easy on the garlic! :ohwell:

the crust itself was good though, just made with almond meal. We cooked them in the oven.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nut crusted chicken is delish! I also use pork rinds to 'bread' things.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil absorbs too much oil and gets soggy. I've never gotten a crispy coating with coconut flour.

Isn't that a shocker :laugh:

In regards to this and any all comments on coconut flour, I'd strongly advise baking rather than frying. The results are a lot crispier.

pout. yes. quite a shocker for us :(
    Good idea to bake rather than fry, it would've *never* worked out for us cause we try to fry *everything* :laugh: :blushing:
    Would've been a loooong learning curve, lol!
    Thanks for the tip :drinker:
  • crisgetsfit14
    Options
    I LOVE pecan crusted chicken!

I tried making an almond flour fried chicken... what a bust. The nuts burn too fast! ;(