Stress eating

Options
Have been logging in my food, and am realizing that I "think" I am eating pretty healthy, but the longer the day goes on I eat more junk, way more! I know this is a bad habit, and it is one that I am having a hard time overcoming. Most of the food I eat that is bad, is sugar.... any kind of candy, cookies, if nothing is around, I make chocolate frosting that is like fudge....breaking this sugar addiction is sooo hard. I know that if I can just get past the 'urge' for a couple of days the need for sugar eases, but I can not seem to get past those two to three days.....errrrr, so frustrating.

I am hoping that my using MFP, and forcing myself to write down EVERYTHING I eat, I will be more accountable for what I DO put in my mouth. There it is....Hope.

Replies

• debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I know that if I can just get past the 'urge' for a couple of days the need for sugar eases, but I can not seem to get past those two to three days.....errrrr, so frustrating.

I am hoping that my using MFP, and forcing myself to write down EVERYTHING I eat, I will be more accountable for what I DO put in my mouth. There it is....Hope.

Accountability is sooo important :flowerforyou: and by writing everything down, you can see your downfalls and your VICTORIES. I am a Sugarholic, and because of that bad habit, I had a heart attack in 2009. I was never overweight.

I just listened to an incredible podcast saying that it is NOT the high cholesterol that causes Heart Attacks, but, the erosion of the artery lining that allows the cholesterol to seep in eventually block the blood flowing to our hearts. That erosion is caused by glucose. Carbs and sugar cause glucose. I've successfully been on 30 days Sugar Free Challenges, and now I think I can eat a portion of something so that I don't spike the insulin that has to take away all of the bad stuff. If it cannot use it as energy, our insulin brings it to our fat cells. GLUCOGEN on the other hand allows the RELEASE of the fat in our fat cells for energy. I've been looking into the Zone Diet, though there are other ways of eating that do the same as long as the portions are Complex Carbs (we need carbs for energy...vegetables, LEAN protein, and Good Fats (Olive Oil, Avocados, and the like). It was an amazing podcast. Now I can eat all day, and make sure I do not go over my limits, and if I do, I plan for it. For instance I had a SMALL red velvet cupcake with black coffee with a friend, and I did NOT feel the SPIKE of insulin, and tiredness afterward. I was happy about that!

You can do this for you...and we will be here to CHEER you on :happy:

Wishing you the best always...and hope to see you often here to give us your progress or challenges! :drinker:
    Deb :heart:
  • trinkylynn
    trinkylynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I had never heard that glucose erodes the artery lining; that puts a new perspective on what I have been putting in my mouth all these years. If you do not mind, what is the podcast you were listening to? I am interested in listening. I also have acid reflux, just wondering if my sugary eating habits have contributed to that too? Hope you enjoy the weekend, and thank you, again.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with dibilang. I understand that sugar ages us, causes inflammations and it messes up our blood and hormones. It's an oxidizing trouble-maker. Throw all your tempting sugary food out and that way there won't be any in the pantry to concoct fudge or anything that will blow your new eating habits. Think about all the damage sugar and cakes and candies do. Especially when we are older and our metabolism is so different from a young person. Up till a few months ago, I was eating caramel candy, barbeque sauce with all my meats, dreamed about when candy-apple season would start (now) and drink rum with fruit juices every night. Since I have lost some weight, I really do feel better, I sleep through the night and I know my belly fat has reduced and I am so happy with that! I had to cut out the sugar, plain and simple. Good luck and stay the course, slow and steady wins!
  • debilang
    Options
    Sorry for being so late on where I heard this podcast.

Here is the site:

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/jonathan-bailors-smarter-science-of-slim-podcast/page/3/#1

There are several podcasts, but look for this title: Bonus: Dr. Dwight Lundell – The Real and Surprising Cause of Heart Disease

Good Listening :flowerforyou:
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You caught my attention with your suggestion that glucose was the culprit in arterial disease, not cholesterol, and so I was eagerly awaiting your link to the podcast.

I am having problems taking this idea seriously, based on the bio of the Dr who advocates this idea. I have not read his book about the subject, nor have I looked into any scientific literature about it, but when I started my research into it by typing Dr Lundell's name into Google, this link came up. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

Lundell seems to have multiple conflicts of interest in promulgating this message. Basically, having lost his medical license and gone through 2 bankruptcies, he needs to sell a lot of books.

Just wondering - have you investigated the scientific lit regarding this claim?

P.S. Totally agree about throwing out all our sugar!!! And agree that inflammation is the cause - or maybe the precipitant - of many of our body's illnesses. It's just that my career as a scientist makes me want to see the research to back up the specific claims about the evils of glucose in my arteries. I'm sitting here thinking hey wait a minute! Glucose IS the energy for our cells. Our bodies change carbohydrates into glucose, then deliver that glucose to our cells via our arteries. Is it possible then that glucose destroys our arteries? What kind of Darwinian evolution created that system? If this were really true, wouldn't everyone - every human, every mammal - have arterial disease? It's not making sense to me.

Nonetheless, let's all throw away our sugar!
  • trinkylynn
    trinkylynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the feedback. I know that getting rid of all the sugar in the house would do the trick. I would have to have a 'goodbye' service though, it has been my friend (?…nemesis) for soooo long! Have not checked out the podcast yet, does sound interesting. I, as everyone, have my demons to fight, and this has been one I have lived with my whole life….time to change that!!
  • debilang
    Options
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

Lundell seems to have multiple conflicts of interest in promulgating this message. Basically, having lost his medical license and gone through 2 bankruptcies, he needs to sell a lot of books.

P.S. Totally agree about throwing out all our sugar!!! And agree that inflammation is the cause - or maybe the precipitant - of many of our body's illnesses. Nonetheless, let's all throw away our sugar!

Thanks for your comment...

Having had a heart attack, and knowing we already produce cholesterol, this podcast which was free, caught my interest, and I shared it. I have come to understand inflammation *is* the cause of many of our ailments, and my comment that cholesterol is not the cause for heart attacks, but the erosion of the lining of the artery for the cholesterol to seep in and ultimately block blood flow, did come from the information of this podcast. I am publicly apologizing if someone went out and bought this guy's book,...I spent no money. However, it made sense to me that glucose caused by refined sugar and empty carbs, and the culprit of many diseases such as diabetes just made sense, and gave me a bigger reason to stay away from refined sugar and processed junk food.

I appreciate the time you took to look up the credentials and possible subsequent bottom line motives of Lundell. I will contact Jonathan Bailor whose show Lundell appeared, and let him know what you found on this guy for my own piece of mind. I do believe that over abundance of processed sugar and refined carbs is a culprit, and I promised myself, I will do whatever I can to *not* have another heart attack, and listening to that podcast did give me pause. I am still on a quest for information to share, but will be more careful of the source in the future.

Thanks,
    Deb:drinker: (toasting with water)
  • ecogranny
    Options
    10 years ago when we decided to retire to France (I was 58) so we bought a second hand caravan - a first for us and with Jb my husband and Harriet our lovely retriever we set off from UK on our adventure.However at my last medical appt in UK our Dr said in a throwaway kind of fashion "by the way your blood sugar is borderline so you should keep an eye on it whilst you are in France". I really hadn't much idea about the effects of blood sugar but after investigation bought myself a simple British Medical Association booklet "understanding Diabetes" and even bought a simple blood monitor. As we were moving throughout France I had no regular doctor but knew I could monitor my blood sugar.. Life was good, sunny, linguistically challenging to say the least but many afternoons were spent enjoying coffee and gateau in the various little cafes we came across. However after a couple of months told Jb that in view of what the Dr had said I intended to stop eating cakes , biscuits , tarts etc and also said I wanted to stop eating ready made supermarket meals although we never ate a lot of these and foods high in animal fat. No easy task as we both love to cook, bake and eat. We changed our eating habits and now when we can we have our main meal in the middle of the day. Porage is part of our daily diet. and we eat only a small portion of meat, lots of fruit and veg as well as lentils, beans, couscous and in Jb's case FISH. He adores it. I hate it but am happy to cook it. Now I seldom eat chocolate or dessert and have no longing for it. Still love a glass of wine but gone is the regular munching of Mars Bars, Bounties and cream festooned gateaux. I would never have believed I could do it. Since coming to France my three older brothers and sister in UK (they are in their 70's) have all become diabetic. Would the same have happened to me? I am just so grateful for the way things have turned out for me. We still thoroughly enjoy eating out or with friends but I try to have a bit more exercise following these meals and it seems to work . I do my diary early in the day so I leave room for a couple of snacks (10 almonds) an apple etc and in the early days I would go off to bed early with a great book........what could be better and no snacks around to tempt me...............So saying I have just made 2 yummy Christmas puddings........now there's a sugar fest. But thankfully its only once a year............ Good luck with your sugar attack.
  • debilang
    Options
    What a beautiful story and "actual proof" of living a healthy lifestyle **ecogranny**...especially since you do not have diabetes. How WONDERFUL we are able to hear from Pals globally! We wish you the best, and are encouraged by your efforts.

Sincerely,
    Deb :drinker: :heart:
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I just revisited this thread last night and it had me thinking and pondering again this morning. Here is my understanding, but only briefly. Regardless of the integrity or background of the particular person who was the guest on the podcast the intention of the message seems to be concerning inflammation and the harm it does in our body. And what causes inflammation in our bodies. I'm only going by the posts written b/c I have not had a chance to listen to the podcast.

Whether or not the guest had his information totally correct I do not know. However this I know from how I feel that if I'm overindulging for a length of time in sweets and simple carbs (which are processed in our body like simple sugars) that I will eventually feel the inflammation in my feet, joints, my headaches and other symptoms like the brainfog, my low mood and so on. It is all very subjective to my experiences but valid enough that it eventually forces me to do another 180 and change my intake again. When I change my diet it only takes a few days to start to feel remarkably better. And I do not mean going on any detox or cleanses, just getting back to the basics of eating what for me is healthy which is mostly whole foods and much less processed foods.

susanrechter wrote: "I agree with dibilang. I understand that sugar ages us, causes inflammations and it messes up our blood and hormones. It's an oxidizing trouble-maker. "

I agree and have to add that it is not only obvious sugar or treats that can do this. But the obvious sugar is a huge culprit indeed.

I have been overindulging over the past weeks and even though I have not 'gained' weight (I have been flirting with the same .5-.8 pounds all season which is water weight, or at the very least not actual ft b/c it fluctuates day by day) as such I feel so yucky (totally a non medical term :laugh: ) and achy and all what I perceive to be my overt inflammation symptoms. I shudder to think what is also going on deep within my body.

Hugs :flowerforyou:
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've just read through this thread and one thing really hit home. I don't usually eat much chocolate or cakes etc, but Christmas brings an abundance of the lot, usually in the form of gifts from folk who like to buy these two old biddies a treat they think we might appreciate!! Now, about the only thing on my body that doesn't ache is my eyelashes!!
    I'd already decided it was time to cut out the sweet stuff, but now, the realisation that my sweet excesses are very likely to blame for how I feel will, I hope, help me to concentrate on the "good stuff". I've made a start with a grocery delivery today, which includes plenty of veggies and no sweet stuff.