How much protein do I need a day?

Options
Hi,

I'm 5'2, 108lb and 18 years old. On gym days (3X a week) I do a timed mile on the treadmill, a mile on the elliptical, calisthenics and about 45 min of weights (using 20lb dumbells for arms, 55lb barbells, squat 70lb, other stuff). I run 2.3 miles on my non-gym days + calisthenics and a 4.6 miler on Saturday.

I don't really eat much meat and when I do I freak out that I'm taking in way too much and sometimes I'm really concerned I'm not getting enough. How much should I eat per day? Thanks.

For example, today I ate a 4oz chicken breast and 3oz of fish as meat protein today. I had the option of a 3oz piece of turkey since I was still hungry after dinner but I went for fruit instead. Today was a lifting day; would it have been really bad to eat the 3oz of turkey to fill me up? I also had a egg, 1/4 cup of black beans, 1/4 cup of plain-nonfat greek yogurt as other protein sources as well today. And yes, I eat tons of fruits and vegetables (currently trying to cut back on the fruit).

On an average day I usually just eat 1 serving of meat-based protein and sometimes on non-lifting days I eat none at all.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least eating 1g per pound of lean body mass, myself. Though, my iifym calculator suggests 1g per pound of body weight. I weigh and measure everything, so I know I'm not guessing intake. I love Greek yogurt, chicken, Quest protein bars. Really, you're highest source of protein will be your meats and as long as you're weighing it out, you won't be guessing :) I also love Trutein protein powder. You shouldn't be afraid to eat <3 protein is very important, especially strength training.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    IMHO, on a lifting day, it would have been really good to eat the 3oz turkey to fill you up. Unless you have kidney problems, you're probably not going to get too much protein in your diet. Like Phoenix_Warrior, I aim for 1g per pound of lean body mass, which rounds up to 100g/day -- but I take that as a minimum. I get mine mainly from lean meats -- chicken, turkey, pork chops, ham.
    At your age, you may still have some growth going on too, in which case the extra protein you eat will be put to good use. Back in the day, the common wisdom was that an active teen should get twice the protein required by someone older. Not sure whether that guideline has changed, but the bottom line is -- protein, yes please.
  • Hastyfar
    Hastyfar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need much. Body builders eventually have kidney failure due to too much protein. I have 12% body fat. I've been vegetarian for almost 28 years. I know vegetarian body builders with 9% body fat. Ithink I look awful if I
    go lower. Too thin.
  • ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Acsm recommends .8 to 1 gram of protein a day for athletes. So somewhere around 85 to 100 grams of protein would be appropriate and beneficial for you. Bodybuilders who get kidney failure wouldn't be because of protein intake.
  • Hastyfar
    Hastyfar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

Bro+Do+You+Even+Science_.png
    The links you pointed to are not about protein, but about doping. And yes, taking large quantities of drugs over an extended period of time is usually hard on the body's elimination system. It's a good idea to read things before linking to them to support an argument.

OP, you got good advice in the ETP forum. Follow it and prosper. :smile:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need much. Body builders eventually have kidney failure due to too much protein.

That's a load of B.S.
    think protein is a myth in bodybuilding. (IMHO)

It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about, even with the help of Google. Next time you're on Google type in "Protein Synthesis" as it pertains to skeletal muscle growth.
  • dmarcon
    dmarcon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper's book, the 20 skinny rules, he says you should have half your weight in protein. Such as you weigh 135, you should have 67 grams of protein.