3:59:59 for MCM - can i do it?

Options
derekj222
derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
Alright, I've only been running seriously since January, but since then I have made awesome progress in running and in all my races, with substantial improvement in every one. This weekend is the Marine Corps Marathon. I want to be ambitious and shoot for a 3:59:59, lets be honest, its hard not to when you get close to those hour markers. I have ran 2 past fulls:
Pittsburgh - May - 5:00:14 - first, I've learned from this one
Erie, PA - September - 4:10:30

Runners World half: 1:54:51
5k: 23:27

Erie was 9:30 pace flat to get that time, If I hold a 9:10 for MCM this weekend, I can get that 3:59...am i being too ambitious??
I'm only a novice, but I've learned a lot about keeping the right pace and not going out too fast, so am I shooting too high this weekend.

If I feel like I can't handle that pace by the half, I will slow down if need be...but I have the drive, I have to motivation...can I do it?
opinions? I know in the end, its up to me, but I need some runner feedback!

thx! Good luck to all MCM runners this weekend!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - I would go out with the 4:15 pace group. If (a big IF) you are feeling great at mile 21, then pick up the pace and see what you can get done.

I think your half time is still a couple minutes slow for breaking 4:00.

The problem is if you are out 20-30 seconds a mile too fast at the start, you may end up slowing down by 2 or 3 minutes per mile late in the race. This is what makes marathons so tricky to race, the pace errors become geometric as your glycogen stores become depleted.

Good luck and have fun!

A couple additional comments:

negative splits are the way to go -

perhaps you can line up so you are running between the 4:15 & 4:00 group at the start

I can tell you from experience (more times than I'd care to admit) running out too fast and trying to hang on does not usually work out well (= death march).
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First of all, have a great time at MCM! I'm a three time runner of this awesome race ('08, '09, '10). My best of the three times is 4:10:39, which was my PR for a couple of years. I have now set a PR much faster (3:41:55). Is it possible? Sure, as you say it's up to you though. If you run a smart race, hydrate, take on bars or GU's, etc. and avoid cramping up, you can definitely do it. There are some hills to contend with and some bridges... long ones. That's where the "Beat the Bridge" slogan comes from. However, in certain areas the course support is amazing (Lincoln Memorial) and it'll lift you and push you forward. Best of luck to you! I hope you'll return and post your results.
  • derekj222
    Options
    That wasn't my best 1/2 time for sure. I paced a friend the first 8 miles at a 2:00 goal, then he decided he didn't want that goal anymore so I picked it up, a lot. I knew that would draw some concerns, which you picked up on, therefore I'm not too worried. For me, I am in agony at 21 usually, so picking it up is harder for me until the last mile. It depends, every race is different.
    My $.02 - I would go out with the 4:15 pace group. If (a big IF) you are feeling great at mile 21, then pick up the pace and see what you can get done.

I think your half time is still a couple minutes slow for breaking 4:00.

The problem is if you are out 20-30 seconds a mile too fast at the start, you may end up slowing down by 2 or 3 minutes per mile late in the race. This is what makes marathons so tricky to race, the pace errors become geometric as your glycogen stores become depleted.

Good luck and have fun!

A couple additional comments:

negative splits are the way to go -

perhaps you can line up so you are running between the 4:15 & 4:00 group at the start

I can tell you from experience (more times than I'd care to admit) running out too fast and trying to hang on does not usually work out well (= death march).
  • arc918
    Options
    Well it sounds like that half gave you some neg split training so that's always good.

If you feel like your recent training supports a 9:08 pace, then go for it!

FWIW - I would rather run an even split slower race than a crash and burn faster race. Once you put together a well run race from start to finish you'll know what I mean. I can assure you there is nothing more awesome that passing people at mile 22+ (rather than being passed by other while you are death marching yet again).
  • derekj222
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Honest to God, my time was 3:59:59. I was overwhelmed with joy. It was an amazing race!
  • arc918
    Options
    Wow, great job!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Honest to God, my time was 3:59:59. I was overwhelmed with joy. It was an amazing race!

Outstanding!

One of the members from my tri club ran the MCM and was in class Monday evening for indoor riding (he's insane.....he has another marathon in about 3 weeks)
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

That is absolutely amazing. Congratulations!