Why you should lift if you don't already

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Running economy is a measure of how efficiently you use the oxygen you take in while running. All other things being equal, if you improve your running economy, you should be able to run faster at the same effort level as you previously did at a slower pace (or you should be able to run the same pace with less effort).

In running-workout terms, repeats lasting 1 to 2 minutes at about your mile race pace, with plenty of rest between, are usually prescribed for improving running economy. This new study looked at whether adding weight training to traditional marathon training could produce similar benefits.

Sixteen marathoners in their early to mid 40s were split into three groups: one that did high-weight/low-rep lifting for six weeks; one that did low-weight/high-rep lifting for six weeks; and one that did no weight training. The marathoners were all members of the same running club, with the same coach, and in the early stages of a 12-week marathon build-up. Therefore, the researchers figured, their running training was mostly similar; the main variable was the weight training.

The marathoners who lifted for six weeks did the same upper- and lower-body exercises, including leg presses, half squats, bench presses, and lat pulldowns. The difference was that some of them lifted at 85-90% of their one-rep maximum for each exercise, and did four sets of three to four reps per exercise. The other lifting group followed a program more typically advised for distance runners, with three sets of 10 reps for each exercise, performed at 70% of their one-rep maximum for the exercise.

After six weeks, the non-lifting runners and the low-weight/high-rep group hadn't improved their running economy at marathon race pace. The high-weight/low-rep group, however, had become 6.17% more efficient at marathon race pace.

Read more here... http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/how-strength-training-ups-masters-marathoners-economy

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Another tick for the Heavy Lifting crew. Definitely interesting reading.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The way I figure, there is a minimum fitness level: you should be able to do a pull up, squat your body weight, run 3 miles, etc, regardless of your ultimate goals, achieving this fitness will help you. However, anything beyond this is sports specific. Muscle will slow a distance runner, a powerlifter is going to lose muscle training for a marathon.

Specifically focusing on running, the major challenge with runners over 40 is recovery. You just can't push and recover at the same level. So cross training becomes critical. Increasingly, research is showing that heavy lifting safeguards speed an endurance in older runners.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I agreee entirely Varda :)
    Though with the correct lifting program, you can increase strength by some rather large amounts with minimal muscle gain. This would be the ideal for distance runners.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I agreee entirely Varda :)
    Though with the correct lifting program, you can increase strength by some rather large amounts with minimal muscle gain. This would be the ideal for distance runners.

Truly - at least for the under 30s. After that, maintaining mass is enough of a struggle. What programs would you recommend?
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I wish I could recommend a program, I'm still trying to figure the balance out.
    My strength program currently is the You Are Your Own Gym app for the smart phones.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My strength program currently is the You Are Your Own Gym app for the smart phones.

I use that app sometimes, I know that RunnerElizabeth does too.

Check out "Never Gymless" http://rosstraining.com/blog/
  • taeliesyn
    Options

I use that app sometimes, I know that RunnerElizabeth does too.

Check out "Never Gymless" http://rosstraining.com/blog/

Thanks I'll check it out :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, Varda. I like it, but you do need either a home gym or a gym membership (prefered).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I really enjoyed that too, until the longer runs started shredding me. Looking forward to getting back to lifting next week!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I've always been a higher rep person, doing a cardio weight routine. I've been thinking about mixing it up, though.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! This validates what my trainer is having me do. Low reps-max weight. Excellent!