Varda's Half

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
I ended up wearing the running tights, long sleeved shirt with short sleeved shirt over it, baseball hat with gloves and a neck gaiter. The gloves were annoying because they felt like they were going to slip off so I tucked them in my belt. This was perfect. My clothes got sweaty so when it warmed up the temperature balanced out. The neck gaiter was perfect to keep the cold from irritating my lungs. I took some puffs of albuterol before the race began.

I put both Preparation H and body glide on the balls of my feet and between my toes to prevent blisters. This was effective.

I got to the race about 45 minutes early and got my bib and filled up with water. I also did the warm ups I could remember. I opted not to take my phone as headphones weren't allowed. Though I did see runners wearing them.

They had signs at the start to help us line up far enough from the start. So way far away we heard the starting gun and meandered to the chute.

I followed Maru for the first two miles as he was drawn on the back of a hoodie jacket. Eventually he pulled away. Soon I noticed that a Galloway runner was running at about my speed. She'd drop behind me on the walk but pull ahead on the run. I introduced myself. Her name was Jackie.

At mile 7, I had to walk for a bit. I caught back up with Jackie and asked if I could run/walk with her because otherwise the last couple of miles would be brutal. We ran together until the last half mile when I could smell the finish and didn't stop. Jackie said it was ok. I ended up finishing a whole minute in front of her. I really, really appreciated her help in keeping together. I was both faster and in less pain than any of the training runs over 7 miles. As a matter of fact, I felt pretty good. For my part, I pushed her just enough that she did faster mile splits - she'd never been under a 13 minute mile. So that was 31 flavors of awesome.

I fueled with Bloks every other mile and took some Gatorade at mile 11. I had my fuel belt so I didn't stop for any water.

I'm really happy with the race and would recommend Galloway to any new runner (under a year) that is not winning age group awards but wants to test themselves against 13.1 miles.

My official time was a decent 2:39:34.

Replies

• likitisplit
    Options
    Oh. And I passed Maru at mile 13.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Oh. And I passed Maru at mile 13.

I love this entire update, but this part made me chuckle out loud.

You worked so very hard for this - glad to hear it went so well! I hadn't heard of the Preparation H trick before.

I found some Galloway treadmill workouts online last night - one for a hills run and one for a long run - so I had written them down intending to try them out. Good to hear further endorsement of him.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    YOU are 31 Flavors and then some! Rock on Varda! Amazing. I appreciate all you wrote as well. I'll take your tips when it's my turn next Spring. Woo hoo!!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Varda, this is an awesome post! You rock, Girl!!! Congratulations on such a good finishing time!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If I would have trained to walk the intervals, I probably could have hit 2:30 :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You worked so very hard for this - glad to hear it went so well! I hadn't heard of the Preparation H trick before.

Pep H shrinks swollen tissue, so under eye bags and blisters as well as more traditional uses.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Pep H shrinks swollen tissue, so under eye bags and blisters as well as more traditional uses.

I had heard it worked for under eye bags, although I've never tried it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and thanks for posting your experience. It gives us something to look forward to. :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The four things I payed attention to were engaging my core (tucking my butt), making sure my calves fully loaded energy, my cadence stayed high and my foot strike was under me. Also loose arms. This translated into easy, efficient running.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You did it! You did it!!! I'm soooo stoked about this! You rock!!!! I hope to be in your shoes in a few months! :-)!!!! Did you get your 13.1 magnet/sticker? I am not a stickers on the car kid of person, but I want that 13.1 if I make it.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! So happy you had such a stellar run
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your half marathon!! Awesome accomplishment!! Sounds like a great run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    You did it! You did it!!! I'm soooo stoked about this! You rock!!!! I hope to be in your shoes in a few months! :-)!!!! Did you get your 13.1 magnet/sticker? I am not a stickers on the car kid of person, but I want that 13.1 if I make it.

Definitely!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I didn't see a sticker, but I didn't get the drop bag either. I kind of hobbled over for donuts and a t-shirt. You can buy the stickers anywhere though. And I will.

Becky was right about relying on the training. I spent all too much time worrying about my performance. The actual race was easier than my 9 mile run through pitch black where I was exhausted and had no hope of ever reaching the end. Fresh legs too, which is not a force to be underestimated at this distance.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic achievement!

So proud of you and your determination to see this through - 13.1miles seems an amazing distance for anyone to run but more so for someone in their first year!

What's next? :bigsmile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanksgiving day 5k
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh, and I don't know why I was so fixated on the sweep time. The results page doesn't indicate any sort of cut off.

(I don't think I mentioned the few seconds when I noticed another pair of Brooks and briefly felt bad for letting down my shoes. I'm sure that's somewhere in the DSM-V.)
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the details of your run. You ROCK!!!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you had a wonderful race! And your time was very respectable, heck I'd be happy to break 3 hours. And tell the truth I bet you're already looking for another race to do......
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Terrific run! You rock the half marathon! Thanks for the race write up!