Is it ok to slowly reduce carbs?

Hi guys, my first post in this group, I was wondering about a few things

Some background: I'm impatient so I've always tried many diets thing at once, akak paleo + low carb + IF, but I always broke within 3 days, so for the past month, I've just been taking it easy and doing calories in and calories out.

This month, my plan has been to keep within my TDEE - 20% and slowly reduce carbs. I plan to reduce carbs to 100g this month, but will I feel any difference? I notice that a lot of people here eat 50g of carbs a day but I can't really comprehend that coming from a rice-eating region! Which is probably my biggest issue with a low carb diet, I shudder to think of how much meats I would need to cook and eat for this! (I live alone)

Btw what if I love sweet potatoes, carrots, radish and all? They are relatively high in carbs but still lower than potatoes and rice! I can still eat them, right?

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    My DH does great restricting his carbs to 15%. And I've recently upped mine to 15% and feel much better that way. So, imo, your goal of 100 carbs a day is great!
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    you d be suprised how easy and convenient it is to hit protein goals never mind the fat goals...

we d be suprised if you approached anything like keto on 100g of carbs !

Best remembered a keto diet is what it is and if you dont hit the macros you dont achieve a state of ketosis

( Been struggling to get back in myself sub 20g ..... in desperation i checked everything and it turns out the protein powder i always use has changed its nutritional information on the tub despite still being advertised as before when sold to me. carbs increased from 4g to 15g and protein reduced from 86g to 70g which was enough to throw my diet out the window and notice it physically. )
  • natalieyeo39
    natalieyeo39 Posts: 90 Member
    you d be suprised how easy and convenient it is to hit protein goals never mind the fat goals...

Best remembered a keto diet is what it is and if you dont hit the macros you dont achieve a state of ketosis

( Been struggling to get back in myself sub 20g ..... in desperation i checked everything and it turns out the protein powder i always use has changed its nutritional information on the tub despite still being advertised as before when sold to me. carbs increased from 4g to 15g and protein reduced from 86g to 70g which was enough to throw my diet out the window and notice it physically. )

Oh what are the macros for keto then? I've read that people can feel that they are 'burning fat' when on keto, is that true? Do you need to take any supplements on keto and how long can you stay in there for?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member

Oh what are the macros for keto then? I've read that people can feel that they are 'burning fat' when on keto, is that true? Do you need to take any supplements on keto and how long can you stay in there for?

we all use different macros, some to lose fat some to lose fat and preserve muscle and someone will be along to better advise for just losing fat...
    As for suppliments, you ll get differing views but i use a multivit, 3x 1000mg of omega 3 if i havnt had oily fish for breakfast and primrose oil..
    I know nothing about people feeling "burning fat" but after a 30 day period of heavy ketosis i started to notice the muscles trained get very warm and feeling very different to when trained and eating carbs.

As for how long you can stay in keto, again you ll get differing views but for me its sub 20g carbs for two weeks then a carb evening and sub 20g the next week ,then a carb evening and so on - but i take breaks to maintain as i m part of a family and i m not obssessive enough to not join them for a drink or a meal out and we plan those ahead !

( note "carb evening" - eat them in the morning and you ll crave them all day and overeat them ! )