New To Group

Options
Hey Everyone. I am actually almost 2 years post-op(Lap-Band). I was only 20 Years old when I decided to get the surgery, but luckily I had a fantastic support system within my family. My Father, Aunt and Grandmother have also have the surgery. I have done pretty well so far. I am down about 70 lbs. I know I could have lost more, but im absolutely terrible at keeping track of everything and I believe this website could be really helpful. I have tried to use it in the past but I always seem to lose interest in it. This time I am hoping to get more connected with some people that might give me a reason to keep logging in here besides just putting in the food and things. I am actually a pre-med student and have been working in the office of the doctor who did my surgery, so I am learning new things everyday and would be happy to talk to just about anyone or help answer any questions if I can. I am actually getting ready to go in for another surgery because my band has slipped and needs to be re-positioned. I figured this is one of the best times to really buckle down and work hard on this.

Feel Free to add me.

Jessica

Replies

• sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica! Welcome to the group. I'm 14 months post op from RNY and love coming here to the website. I make it a game to see how far under calorie goal I can come in and still get my protein. Makes it a bit more fun. Plus I'm an over achiever by nature...lol But sounds like you may be too with the whole pre med thing.

Enjoy!!
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm six months postop RNY. I've been in a stall the past month but I'm down about 73 lbs, give or take a little.
  • tropicislander
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well. I'm in Kaiser's bariatric program leading to a sleeve sometime next year (estimated surgery April/May time frame). I have lost almost 20 pounds since tracking my food and exercise on myfitnesspal, I still would like to lose 100 pounds. Any advice from those who have had a sleeve is most welcome and desired. In particular, what can I be doing now to prepare for the change(s) that will happen post surgery! Please feel free to friend me!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone who is new here! I am a year and one month post RNY and have lost all my excess weight within the first 8 months. I'm now working on MY goal, which is to get back in my size 4/6's comfortably--just two pounds to go. I hit normal BMI months ago and feel great. MyFitnessPal has been a great tool and keeps me on track. I weigh and measure everything and log it all, down to the tiniest morsel. Good luck to everyone!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well. I'm in Kaiser's bariatric program leading to a sleeve sometime next year (estimated surgery April/May time frame). I have lost almost 20 pounds since tracking my food and exercise on myfitnesspal, I still would like to lose 100 pounds. Any advice from those who have had a sleeve is most welcome and desired. In particular, what can I be doing now to prepare for the change(s) that will happen post surgery! Please feel free to friend me!

I can only speak for myself, but I spent the 8 months pre-surgery getting used to the lifestyle changes that would help me after surgery, such as making better food choices and exercising regularly. I lost 70 lbs prior to surgery ( I sill have a LOT more to lose), and I think making the healthy changes a habit in advance of the surgery made my recovery easier too. I am only in week 3 post-surgery, but I feel confident that as I gradually start eating more and being able to exercise more, I am going to be able to take this on with no problems! Good luck to you :-)
  • NGCByrden
    Options
    hi i am also new to the group. i am 10 months post op from RNY. it took me a year and a half to get my surgery done at University of Florida Shands. i started in that time changing my eating habits and getting used to protien shakes. wanted to try all the differt kinds to know what i liked best being they where going to be a hugh part of the rest of life. i lost 60 lbs before surgery, i really had to prove i wanted it for my Dr to do it. now post op im doing great. weight is coming off alittle slow but my Dr say its has to due with my excessive exercise and some of my medications(that cant be changed). it must be ok because the way im going through clothing sizes is crazy. at day of surgery i wore a size 26 and now im in 18s and some of those have wiggle room. this was the best thing i ever did for myself.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies. This is a great group to belong to; so many of the members are an inspiration. Those of us that recently have had our surgeries motivate each other, and the members that have been doing the diet and exercises are truly an inspiration. Good luck to each of you on your Weight Loss Journey! I hope you'll continue to let us know how you're doing so we can all celebrate together.