One Helpful Tip to Ten Pounds

Options
Post your one helpful tip here that's HEALTHY and has helped you to lose weight!

My tip: I plan my entire day of eating the day before and put it on MyFitnessPal. It helps me to not stray too far from my plan (although sometimes something sneaks its way in there) and if I know I'm going out for dinner or have something I can't plan, it helps to motivate me to hit the gym so I have extra calories to "spend" on my meal. I also pack my gym clothes the night before. Then I can't forget them during the morning rush.

Also, I was motivated by a friend to make my food & exercise diary public. That way other people can see what I'm doing and offer encouragement (or chide me if need be). It's a great way to stay accountable!

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined this group. I'm excited!

My tip is for busy busy folks...& who isn't slammed these days? I have a hard time finding a bulk time to set aside to exercise. So I began doing about 15 minutes of aerobics before work. I try to walk some at lunch. After work I'm going to run errands with my little one so we'll swing by the mall for a few laps of walking with him in his stroller. Maybe when I get home I can do a mile or two on the treadmill. Even though it's not the way I truly want to work out, it's better than being a couch potato. So my tip is to not discount exercising in small spurts. At least you're moving! :)
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What helps me stay on track is planning!
    Every morning I sit having breakfast and plan my days big meals and post it right away. Then I can see what I need to do to boost my calories from snacks. I also honestly don't eat back all my calories burned through excersize. Also water is a biggie, I drink at least 10- 8 oz glasses a day and most before 6 pm.
  • eglinjoe
    eglinjoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I often try to replace a meal with a low calorie meal with high "Fulness Factor" (for example Quaker Oatmeal to Go Bars...220 Cal. and you stay full all morning) Hunger is one of the biggest obstacles to losing weight. I find myself in a vicious cycle of cutting calories or carbs and experiencing extreme hunger, which is then followed by binging and splurging on foods that are off the diet. Knowing about the "fullness factor" can help you stick to your meal plan and avoid excess eating, while choosing from a variety of satisfying and healthful foods...What is Fulness Factor? Foods that have a higher weight and volume, regardless of how many calories they contain, have a greater fullness factor. Nutrients that positively impact fullness include protein, fiber and water.
    Google "Fulness Factor" foods and learn this helpfull secret. Good Luck!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it right now, but eliminating sugar, helps me tremendously. So does cutting down on alcohol.
  • gotcardi
    gotcardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My helpful tip (or one that is working for me) is to make sure to make enough food so that there is at least ONE serving of a left over. I am single and have very little motivation to cook, but having left overs keeps me on track (and not eating out for lunch while at work) and makes sure I am eating something healthy for lunch :)
  • butler8991
    butler8991 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One tip that works for me is breaking down a meal. This works for those of us that just like to eat! For example, if I'm eating a veggie and brown rice stir fry with chicken breast I break the meal apart.

5:00 Eat the veggie and rice stir fry and a glass of water
    6:00 Eat the chicken and drink another glass of water

The water helps fill me up and I feel like I have a treat for later. Also, by breaking the meal up my digestive system can break the food down faster and it doesn't make my metabolism as sluggish.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One tip... I try to plan my day's menu the night before. It helps to keep me sane and I need all the help I can get.... Kat :)
  • 2013Amanda
    2013Amanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am a new member to this site and I am excited to shed some weight. My 1 helpful tip is that before every meal--and after every meal, I drink 1 glass of water. This makes me full and less inclined to snack or eat later. Also if you're having trouble with gulping down 8 glasses of water a day, this trick can help! Mind you, you do get water through other options such as tea (no sugar) and fruits. Just drink a glass of water every morning to get you going in the right direction. Before joining this site I weighed 165 and after about 2 months of exercising and proper eating habits I am down to 155lbs! I know it's not a lot, but it's a push in the right direction.
  • hcarmello
    Options
    I just joined the group being a former weight watcher lifer I need to try something new and I am hoping this is the ticket! I found out my first day I didn't even eat enough calories but I exercise quite frequently too! I would love to get to christmas with support and looser pants size! I am doing a biggest loser with coworkers but it doesn't seem to give me the spark I need. Would love suggestions and support!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm in the planning camp. I plan our meals a week in advance, have the shopping delivered (thank you Tesco, you've rescued me from the temptation of the weekly shop on an empty stomach) and then try not to make any little trips to the supermarket for "a bag of rocket" and then come back with two cartons of Ben and Jerry's because they were on offer.
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Even though I haaaaate it, I've found that sucking it up and waking up at 5 to work out before work makes me eat much better throughout the day.

Why would I want to waste the lack of sleep and sweat on an old donut? :smile:
  • RCharlotteRose
    RCharlotteRose Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group being a former weight watcher lifer I need to try something new and I am hoping this is the ticket! I found out my first day I didn't even eat enough calories but I exercise quite frequently too! I would love to get to christmas with support and looser pants size! I am doing a biggest loser with coworkers but it doesn't seem to give me the spark I need. Would love suggestions and support!

I am also doing a 'biggest loser' with people at my work. It really doesn't seem to do the trick especially as I am wanting to do this the healthy way whereas a lot of people are just not eating. It is reassuring to come on this site and see people with a similar mind set to my own. Good luck!!!
  • Mjconnelly586
    Mjconnelly586 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Even though I haaaaate it, I've found that sucking it up and waking up at 5 to work out before work makes me eat much better throughout the day.

Why would I want to waste the lack of sleep and sweat on an old donut? :smile:

I agree! I make better eating choices when I work out first thing in the AM. I also like the fact that it gets my metabolism going.
  • emma_lauren11
    Options
    My one tip is walk everywhere you can! There is a bus stop right outside my door that goes directly to school but instead I walk both ways. I also always take the stairs. I live on the fourth floor of my apartment and I work on the fourth floor of a building on campus so I am constantly doing a lot of stairs. Even when I have heavy bags of groceries, I will still take the stairs because it makes me feel better. I purposely enter the buildings near the stairs so that I am less tempted by the elevators.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My one tip is walk everywhere you can!

I do walk everywhere, but that's not enough for me. To lose 10 pounds at my height, weight and age takes extraordinary effort.
  • S_of_Montreal
    S_of_Montreal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get a healthy breakfast and lunch with a minimum of sugar so that my body can go and get it's reserves. I make my own lunches. The years that I ate at the cafeteria I always gain 10 pounds per year.
  • law110
    law110 Posts: 43
    Options
    I love all of the ideas! I'm going to make a small paper stocking to hang on my fridge and "decorate it" as a count down and print out the tips suggested here to put inside. Maybe I will also put a picture of my self inside at my ideal weight? I'll have to work out the details......
  • SISMELLON
    SISMELLON Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work, if I'm not carring a lot of equipment. I keep my mind set that all the elevators are broken. I can do a lot of steps in a 12 hour shift. I have noticed I can use the steps with a lot more ease and less shortness of breath. Working the night shift you eat to keep awake and to fight off boredom during down times.