Moving on to Week 5!

Options
StephFork
StephFork Posts: 182 Member
I finished Week 4 today and it felt great! Now it's time to move onto the biggest week that I've been stuck on 2 other times before. I'm determined to move past it though and after my insane crossfit workout today I feel confident that I can do the 20 minute run! How's everyone doing?!

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Week 5 is tough but just lower the speed to something manageable and have a go!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The trick is slowing down enough to let yourself be successful. This one is a mental game.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Keep strong - you can totally do it.

And once you get past Week 5, honestly the rest of the programme will be much easier. Week 5 is a 'mental' thing and once you get by that barrier it makes the next few weeks easier to conquer!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I am actually looking forward to Day 1 of Week 5 on Thursday. I know it's 5 min sessions but having the 3 min walks inbetween sound like heaven. I found that the 90 sec walk break between the 3 min and the 5 min didn't seem enough for me to catch my breath. I did much better on the second sessions after that 2 1/2 min break. And I really like the advice that if I was really struggling to slow to a running motion walk that I got a few days back. It really helped today to finish up the 3rd day of Week 4.
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys are right and it's all just mental. I'm doing day 1 of week 5 tomorrow and I plan on doing day 3 on Saturday! AHH! I'm nervous and excited at the same time! I like the slow down advice too. I'm going to pace myself and see how far I can get. Being overweight is such a struggle but I'm pushing myself and getting stronger and that makes me feel good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am actually looking forward to Day 1 of Week 5 on Thursday. I know it's 5 min sessions but having the 3 min walks inbetween sound like heaven. I found that the 90 sec walk break between the 3 min and the 5 min didn't seem enough for me to catch my breath. I did much better on the second sessions after that 2 1/2 min break. And I really like the advice that if I was really struggling to slow to a running motion walk that I got a few days back. It really helped today to finish up the 3rd day of Week 4.

One of the best things I learned was that the walks are about recovery. If you don't feel recovered, walk slower. If you're running as slow as you can and walking as slow as you can, use the walks as stretch breaks.
  • verdemujer
    Options
    Oct 31st: Week 5, Day 1 of program: 2.3 miles Strava:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/92388797

I did enjoy it so much more. The 3 minutes really did let me recover and I was able to judge where I would be at the end of the 5 and mentally tell myself 'you can go that far'. During the last session I found myself going 'Hurrah! I'm doing it!"

Since I will still be in the midst of this program of training at our next school 5K (coming in Nov), I might just use the 5 min run, 3 min walk routine for the whole 5K.
  • verdemujer
    Options
    I ran my day 2 today - I had to stop and look again because I was expecting the 5/3/5/3/5 pattern. What?!?!??! 8/5/8????? I had to check to see if I was on the right day. I finished though!. Wow - running for 8 minutes? Who would think I would do that? Not me!