wt gain with lifting

Options
Hey everyone! I just barely found out about this book, so I haven't started it yet, but I hope to. I have been doing my own thing at the gym lately, well for the last 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks, I lost over 6 pounds, but then last week, my husband was off a lot and I was a little bit weaker on my calorie control. I did still workout a lot, stayed off soda, and breastfed so I thought that I would still lose at least 2 pounds. You can imagine my surprise (nay extreme disappointed shock) when he scale said I gained almost 4 pounds!!!!

My husband swears that I look like I lost more and that I wasn't as bad as I think and that I must have gained muscle weight. I no muscle weighs more, and I have toned a little already. Could this be the case? Has it happened around week 3 to anybody?

I want to stay motivated, but I am extremely worried about this!

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Yes :) and it is very common. Your muscles are hoarding water to protect themselves while they heal. After a few weeks the initial weight gain goes away. My initial gain was 4 lbs as well.

If he can notice the difference - congrats!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great work! The initial weight gain is probably not muscle gain but water weight. When muscles heal, they hold onto water, it is very difficult to actually increase muscle size in such a short time. With this program, I would encourage you to take measurements and monitor your body fat instead of scale weight. I just started stage 4, I have only seen a 4 lb loss on the scale, but visible improvements in body composition and fat loss.