The Scale Friend or Foe?

An MFP friend of mine, CandiceJoy posted this today and I found it very motivational and encouraging so I thought I would share it here.

With my hypothyroidism weight loss can be extremely slow and I get discouraged easitly. Funny enough before I read her post I took my measurements this morning to remind myself I am on the right track even if the number on the scale isn't reflecting it!

I have lost a total of 3" all over my body.

The scale can be a valuable tool in any weight-loss journey. It can tell you where you started and help you track your progress. It's the tool people use most as a measure of success--or failure. As useful as the scale can be, don't forget that it's just one tool you can use, not the only tool. It's entirely possible for those numbers not to budge, but you find yourself having to tighten your belt because you've lost inches. Used regularly, the scale can help you check in with yourself and help you catch upward swings in pounds before they become double-digit problems. But used too frequently, the scale can drive you crazy. If you find yourself weighing in often (multiple times per day or every day of the week) you're not doing yourself any favors. There are certain times when weight fluctuates, and seeing every fluctuation can be disheartening and really mess with your head and your motivation. Many people find it difficult to give up the scale entirely, which is fine--but there are a few times when the scale isn't doing you any favors. Take the results with a grain of salt in these situations.

7 Times the Scale is Lying to You
1. Right after you've eaten.
2. During your first few weeks of a new diet or exercise program.
3. Immediately after a workout.
4. You just chugged a bunch of water.
5. Just before bedtime.
6. You just had a baby.
7. Practically any time during your menstrual cycle.

So don't let those daily fluctuations discourage you--or get you too excited--when it comes to weight loss. Use your scale as a guide, not the definitive standard of success. The best way to use the scale is to weigh in at the same time of day every couple of weeks. Even then, your body could be maintaining or losing body fat even if the scale never budges. Be sure to find other ways to measure your progress and success outside of the scale—and you'll stay more motivated for the long haul!

Have a great day everyone!

Karen

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Great post. The scale can be so cruel. :)
    You feel so happy with a loss and so discouraged with any gain even if you are expecting it.
    As long as you are seeing movement in those measurements is all that matters really.