New to keto

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
The idea of ketosis is quite interesting to me, I don't want to loose weight but I do want to reduce my bf%. From what I've been reading ketosis can help me do this. Someone not he main board has said that I will only burn the fat I eat though and not my bf, is that true?

Now I am slightly worried about exercise, I like to run, not major distances but a few miles. Will this be safe on a ketosis diet? I don't want to make myself ill or pass out on a run.

Also is the idea to get your weight/bf to the desired range and then gradually increase carbs until you find the 'maintenance' carb level?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. You say that you don't want to lose weight, but you do want to lose body fat %. To reduce your bf%, you either have to lose body fat (which would decrease weight) and/or increase lean body mass. If you don't want to lose weight, is your real goal to increase lean body mass?

If that's the case, you may want to check out ketogains - a subreddit that focuses on endurance, strength, and muscle via the keto diet / ketosis.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Another good resource - this video of a lecture by Dr. Stephen Phinney "The Art and Science of Nutritional ketosis".

The discussion on endurance athletes following a keto diet seems related to your running question. The key will be reaching "nutritional ketosis" which can take 2-3 weeks. At that point your body is able to access / burn body fat for energy. You also might want to check out, "The Art and Science of Low Carboyhdrate Performance" by Phinney and Volek. Running is fine, but if your goal is adding lean body mass, then this may be counter-productive. You should really be lifting.

The people on the main boards are pretty ignorant about low carb diets. There's a strong bias. (There's a strong bias here as well, just in the other direction).

I don't understand your final question. The video may help you answer this yourself though - or check out the ketogains site.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ah yes I see the problem, I suppose I do want to loose weight then. Once I have my BF down I'll see how I look and bulk up if needed :) thanks