advice

Options
singhstyle
singhstyle Posts: 11 Member
Hi

I have am going for the Reading half marathon in march of next year..! yes i know but i have been running now for 2 months 3 times a week and hitting the 5miles market each time in about 58mins (low i know but not bad givern where i was ..i.e no running!)

I just wanted some advice as I tried to run a bit more this weekend ( just an extra 2 miles) and loads of lost energy !!! tips on fueling pre-and during run would e appreciated. I don't eat meat but do have fish etc . I am losing weight and having 1300 calories a day but am sure that is not good for running as too low.
thks
kam

Replies

• smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    1300 is way too low, what is your weight at the moment?
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    1300 is a very low calorie intake for a male. We are all different but if you take the popular average of 2500 cals for a male then its a long, long way off.

In my opinion and experience you will certainly need more than that as you start increasing your weekly long run. 10-13 miles is a long way to go and takes fuel to do it.

I'd expect you can lose well at 2000 calories a day and on the days when you run you should increase them by a couple hundred, and by 700-900 on the days you do your 10 miles.

These are all very rough numbers, I'd suggest doing a little more research on nutrition for running.

Congrats on signing up to the half. It's a wonderful experience and one you will not forget.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think you definitely need to be eating more. I'm a short female and I eat 1600 cals a day in order to lose weight, running less miles than you per week..

If you use the very rough calculation that you burn 100 calories per mile, on your 5 mile runs you're probably only netting 800 calories a day - far too little for anyone.

I'm no expert by any means but the 2mile jump in mileage is also quite ambitious - I'm not saying don't do it but you've got loads of time before the Reading half marathon so you could take mileage up at a more nominal rate of maybe half a mile per week and still be well on track.

Good luck with the race :smile:
  • singhstyle
    singhstyle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i am 87kg at moment but hoping to hit 82 in next few weeks and stop diet and shift more to maintenance.