Bikram, thinking about it...

Options
KombuchaCat
KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
So I know there's probably a million people on here who have asked questions about Bikram...but I'm really just looking for an opinion from you guys. I'm moving this weekend and have 3 yoga studios within a quarter mile from my new place (can we say YAY!) One of them is Bikram which I've never tried before. I've been doing various forms of yoga fairly seriously for a number of years now but never Bikram. I still have about 25 lbs left to lose so I was thinking I would try Bikram 2-3 days/week for a month along with cardio 2-3 days/week to kind of jumpstart this new leg of my weight loss...thoughts? Is there anything I should be aware of as an experienced yoga practicioner but first time Bikram?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a pass. Just go to a couple of classes before you decide what you think. I would try the other studios as well.

I know I could never do it - partly because I refuse to give that man a dime of my money, but also because I don't like being miserable. I've done yoga outside in the Texas heat and humidity, but inside? no thanks.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I went to bikram on a regular basis for about 6 months, but the classes get REALLY repetitive, and work the exact same muscles/joints every time. I was lucky enough to move to a city that has a studio which does Bikram style classes (90 min, same poses, w a couple replacements, Im assuming for reasons having to do w not being an "official" bikram place?), as well as flow, yin, and a bunch of other classes (all hot). Its an amazing studio, but Im not sure if it's one-of-a-kind. Try them all out near your house, and see which combo works best!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I like to throw in a Bikram style class every now and then but I don't think I could do it continuously. I prefer hot vinyasa flow classes which change up the routine.

If you try it out, keep in mind you might struggle your first class or two. It's very hot and humid and is a shock to the body. I know when I take a class after not going for a while, it takes me a class to get used to the intensity. This is even though I do hot yoga regularly.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram yoga for about a year, 2-4 times a week. At first I liked it - the repetition - it's the same sequence of poses every time, I liked that it was predictable and consistent. But as someone else mentioned, it got old after a while. I also liked the heat. Then, I found that I wasn't sleeping well, even though I didn't do a late class. I ruled out everything I could, and it came down to the yoga. As soon as I stopped, my sleeping improved. The studio I went to was run by a husband and wife, and I found out while I was going there that they didn't teach the classes the way they were supposed to, meaning that most Bikram teachers are taught to be harsh and a little bit bullyish. They were very nice, and I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted a year if they had been any other way.

I agree with what others have said - try all your options. That is great that you have so many choices! When you try Bikram, make sure you bring water, a towel, and dress for the heat (wear as few clothes as you can!). Have something to pull your hair up - you'll want it off your neck. I brought an extra towel to sit on for the car ride home as I was drenched in sweat and preferred to shower at home.