What do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Just stuck a new profile picture on. Any guesses as to what's in the stomach of this dog?
  • knekno
    knekno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is the arrow an X-ray marker or part of the "thing"?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's just a marker. Trying to show the client what was in there. It's really kind of funny when you find out. The dog should be able to pass them but I'm still laughing. :laugh: :laugh:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's just a marker. Trying to show the client what was in there. It's really kind of funny when you find out. The dog should be able to pass them but I'm still laughing. :laugh: :laugh:
  • rsjsmart
    Options
    Hi all! Just joined group. I'm a public safety officer at a private university working 11pm-7am. I love seeing what other night shifters do.
  • mlandx3
    Options
    Hey! :) I work 630pm-730am.. im a nurse tevh on a medical surgical floor, which requires alot of movement and strength. I am struggling with when I should be eating.. my appetite is all over the place. I never work a set schedule. So I just cant get used to it. Help!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Hey! :) I work 630pm-730am.. im a nurse tevh on a medical surgical floor, which requires alot of movement and strength. I am struggling with when I should be eating.. my appetite is all over the place. I never work a set schedule. So I just cant get used to it. Help!

Oh man isn't that the truth! You eat when you can and tank up because you never know when the next case will take HOURS! That's one of my biggest problems. I got so used to just grabbing what I could. Now I'm still grabbing meals as time permits but I had to quit grabbing frozen burritos and burgers and start grabbing salad and healthy frozen food I can just pop in the microwave. I have no idea who invented the microwave but I could give them a big hug. :laugh:
  • mlandx3
    Options

Oh man isn't that the truth! You eat when you can and tank up because you never know when the next case will take HOURS! That's one of my biggest problems. I got so used to just grabbing what I could. Now I'm still grabbing meals as time permits but I had to quit grabbing frozen burritos and burgers and start grabbing salad and healthy frozen food I can just pop in the microwave. I have no idea who invented the microwave but I could give them a big hug. :laugh:

its honestly killing me! Let me just say the extra weight ive gained can only be blamed on my poor eating decisions. I need to learn to try to eat veggies, fruits and salads and other health foods. Im always so under calories because , my appetite is all over. I have a bad habit of not eating. Thats probably the worst thing I could do. So its either poor decisions or under eating. :/
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

its honestly killing me! Let me just say the extra weight ive gained can only be blamed on my poor eating decisions. I need to learn to try to eat veggies, fruits and salads and other health foods. Im always so under calories because , my appetite is all over. I have a bad habit of not eating. Thats probably the worst thing I could do. So its either poor decisions or under eating. :/

I tried the not eating thing. That would lead to binge eating later. Besides, it slows your metabolism. I really hate feeling like a rabbit. I try to mix up the fruits and veggies with other foods but soups, lentils and higher protein low carb frozen stuff has helped quite a bit. There are still nights like last night where we sent someone to Wendy's but now I have the chicken instead of the double baconator. I don't feel as bad about it since I picked up my exercise. We have a treadmill and I was able to put my bike on a stand at work and about 3 AM when things slow down I can get in a ride or a walk. That helps both burn the calories and it doesn't leave me sitting around thinking about food.
  • mlandx3
    Options
    Binge eating isnt an issue for me. Im just not hungry or dont have an appetite for anything. My body just cantkeep up with my work schedule. So I have to figure out a schedule thatworks regardless if I work or not. Because when im off, I sleep at night. Then sleep all day when I work. AHHH, so much back and forth!

downloaded another app like MFP, called noom coach. Its really helpful too. Im definitely not a calorie counter, I struggle with keeping up with the food log. But on noom coach, I type it in andit brings everything up for me. So maybe between the 2, I can keep up.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    That flipping schedules is the worst. I had to force myself to keep the same schedule even on my days off. Right now I'm working 7 days a week so it's easy but once the replacement staff is in I'll have to work on keeping the same schedule. You'll have to keep us posted on the new app and let us know if it helps. You are right though. That flipping schedules will really mess with your metabolism in a hurry.
  • mlandx3
    Options
    The app called noom coach is really good. It already has most foods logged on it and the serving sizes and calories. So instead of trying to keep track of everything, you just have to keep track of the serving sizes. They also have a section for recipes for everything you can think of. For me it helps more than my fitness pal. But that's just me! Tryit, you might like it!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'm a TV Engineer
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'm a TV Engineer

As in you design new TVs? What ever happened to the smart sound TV where the commercials weren't any louder than the regular programing?
  • mizzhogbear
    mizzhogbear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm a nurse on a challenging behaviour unit and i have only recently started doing night shifts. I generally work 3 to 4 nights a week and they can differ what night I work. I work from 7.30pm to 7.30am. I tend to eat a meal before going to bed at 9am... sleep but annoyingly wake up at 11am and 1.30pm for the loo ... and finally wake up at 3pm to pick my daughter up from school. I have a meal around 5ish then snack at 11ish .. meal at 1 or 2am and possibly a snack again at 4 or 5 am ... I'm planning on going the gym more after work but the thought of it drains me lol I've lost nearly 60 pounds on days and I want to lose another 35 pounds or more by may but it feels more of a struggle whilst doing nights :'(
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow! That's impressive weight loss. I would just like to drop 10 pounds but I think that won't happen until spring. Night shifts make it too easy to snack on things like chips and cookies. People are always bringing that kind of stuff in. I love that they think of us, but it makes weight loss tough. :-) It's OK, come spring I'll get out on my bike again instead of just on the trainer. I'm going to try for Going to the Sun road again this year. A Beautiful road through glacier park that they close to cars during may and it's only an hour away.
  • mizzhogbear
    mizzhogbear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks sufferlandria .... I have have stalled for the past 3 months and its basically been a struggle to lose anything although I've lost my first pound since 3 months ago ... So I'm supper happy and thinking maybe nights aren't as bad as I thought lol I think the structure helps although Id like more engery and time to go the gym... I went the gym today after 2 hours sleep and felt alright :-)

It's not very busy on here??? Where are all the night workers???? lol
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    There used to be two threads that were hopping at night. This one and "Official Nightshift thread" which is up to part 70. They have both kind of died out for the last month. There is more activity on the other thread and you're welcome to join us over there. The more the merrier.

I'm lucky in that I have gym equipment at work and if it's slow I can work out on my shift. If not, I try to go right after work. Even if I work out for a couple hours, I have no problem getting to sleep.

I got sick this last week and I can't believe the pounds I put on when I couldn't work out. I'm hoping that a lot of that is fluid retention and as I start to work out again it will go away. 5 pounds in one week!!.

Hope your night is going well.

Dean
  • mfreeman918
    mfreeman918 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey every one! I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Megan and work the 7p-7a weekend option on a Med/Surg floor. I also work PRN for one of the local ICUs in town. I LOVE LOVE my jobs, especially ICU. When I have completed my first year of Nursing I plan on going full time in a Cardiovascular ICU. With working night I have a hard time finding the motivation, really just the time to work out, is horrible. I have been trying to go after work, but I also have a husband and a son at home and struggle with mommy guilt for taking time for myself, and then fitting sleep in, but I'm working on it. I was able to go to the gym yesterday after work and as soon as I'm done with this post I'll go for a jog. I'm so glad to see this group! I was always curious as to how working night and sleeping different hours effect others. Anyway, hope everyone is doing great and having a wonderful day! I look forward to keeping up with ya'll's journeys. Yes, I said y'all :tongue: