Keto, Pork Rinds, Blood Sugar

Options
Chris_B62
Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
Has anybody noticed that eating Pork Rinds has an effect on your blood sugars?
My bs this morning was 89 and it has been running in the mid to upper 70's since I began Keto. I stopped my DM Meds when I began keto x3 weeks ago and my bs has been fine. I have noticed this morning and a couple times over the past 3 weeks that when my am fasting bs is elevated (upper 80's) I can correlate that with eating 1 - 2 ounces (1 serving = 0.5oz) of pork rinds the evening before. Coincidence or ???

ps. my diary is open to all.

Replies

• Chris_B62
    Options

I read the majority of this article and scanned the rest. I was not able to find any information regarding the effects on blood sugar levels r/t eating pork rinds. Can you cut & paste the piece of information you are referring to into one of these reply boxes? Thanks for the pointers.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds by themselves shouldn't have an impact - unless you ate a huge volume of them (they actually have a good amount of protein). Check the ingredients list and see if there's anything funky. Should just be the pork skin and salt (they should just fry in their own fat).

Chris - we may have to pull your keto membership card. Neufchatel cheese (aka lite cream cheese)? Lite Mayo? tsk...tsk... You're missing such good opportunities to add more fat!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Is it still in normal readings? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis can happen with a lot of protein without fat to slow down the digestion. Basically, your body makes glucose out of protein, which is why a lot of protein can spike insulin response.
  • Chris_B62
    Options
    Chris - we may have to pull your keto membership card. Neufchatel cheese (aka lite cream cheese)? Lite Mayo? tsk...tsk... You're missing such good opportunities to add more fat!

Don't shoot, don't shoot! I'm simply finishing off the light Hellman's that I have been using. A brand new jar of the real stuff is waiting in the pantry to be opened. Same with the cream cheese. I'm trying to mix it up a little. I have one more package of the reduced fat cream cheese to go. I have 2 full fat sitting behind it. And I absolutely LOVE that I was able to go back to full fat dressing on salads!

So don't pull my card just yet. :bigsmile:
  • Chris_B62
    Options
    Is it still in normal readings? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis can happen with a lot of protein without fat to slow down the digestion. Basically, your body makes glucose out of protein, which is why a lot of protein can spike insulin response.

I think you're right. For some reason I didn't pick up on the fact that there was a lot of protein it them. AND, they're highly addictive. Because of those I was over on protein that night but was still under on fat. The next morning my bs was 91 I think. Not too terribly high. It was the second time my bs got in the 90's since I went Keto. I took myself off my DM meds after starting keto and my bs went from averaging 150 to the 70's in 2 days. I'm just apprehensive when I see it climb back up. It will probably take a while of seeing in the normal range before that apprehension dissolves.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    regarding fasting, there have been a couple things written about that recently in Grain Brain and Jimmy Moore also noted that on his graphs on his fast - last a bit and then goes down. also went back up briefly again when the fast was ended but returned to normal.