Ready to throw in the towel

Options
*I've also posted this question on the EM2WL forum, no responses yet though Im just seeking more ideas here*

I began my reset on sep 2nd this year. I gradually increased up until TDEE of 2150 cals where I ate at for several weeks. I have logged into MFP every single thing I've eaten, measured with a digital scale. I felt ready to start cut this past Monday 28 oct down to 1700-1850 cals.
My measurements and weight have increased (see below).

Weight:
Was- 59 kg Now- 61.5 Difference: + 2.5 kg

Waist:
was: 70 cm, now 75 cm Difference: +5 cm

Hips
was: 94 Now: 97 Difference: +3 cm

Bust
was: 88 cm, Now: 91 Difference: +3 cm

thighs
was: 58 cm Now 60 cm Difference: + 2 cm

I'm so so disappointed as it's summer here and now I'm bigger than what I was in winter. I can't wear summery clothes as I'm so self conscious of my size increase. I know our metabolisms/bodies don't care about fashion statements, or deadlines, but I'm so let down by this whole process. I have painstakingly weighed and measured absolutely everything that passed my lips for 2 whole months, only to gain weight? what a waste of time and energy. Sorry to sound so mopey, but I really thought there would be something to look forward to, some results however slight they might have been. How the hell did I manage to get bigger and barely fitting into my clothing?

my background: 2 years prior to my EM2WL journey I lost 37 pounds (from 158# to 121#) with low cal (approx 1000-1200 cals per day). Weight finally plateaued despite more cardio and less food. I tried low carb, high protein, gluten free, dairy free but to no avail. There's nothing wrong with my thyroid or vitamins as I only recently had them checked. I'm so ready to pull the plug on this, I'm completely de-motivated after my weight crept up to its highest point in 2 years. I do not want to go back to TDEE, I cant be eating like a heifer when I've already eaten at that level with no problem and have cut and now my weight is increasing. It's been 2 months, my metabolism wasn't so damaged that its going to take months and months to function normally.

My macro ratio this past week according to MFP is Carb: 38% Protein: 22% Fat: 40% I'm an endomorph blood type O + Age is 24 years and female. Light activity level. height 5 ft, BMR 1380, approx TDEE 2150. Goal weight is 110-115 pounds

PLEASE advise on what to do! I'm so tempted give up altogether

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling so discouraged right now. It is definitely not always an easy process (mentally or physically).

Remember, you are coming from a history of low calorie dieting. You said it yourself that even while on a diet of 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day, that your "weight finally plateaued despite more cardio and less food." There is a good chance that your metabolism has been suppressed as a result of all of that.

The important thing to remember when doing a reset is that if you are coming from a history of VLCD and inconsistent dieting "I tried low carb, high protein, gluten free, dairy free but to no avail." your body may not react favorably (weight-wise) at first. It takes some time for the body to adapt and adjust to the new increased intake.

A couple of things that sort of stuck out to me: You said that you began your reset on Sept 2nd and gradually increased calories where you ate for several weeks. Coming from your history, my guess is that "several weeks" may not have been enough time. It can often take a couple of months for the body to stabilize while eating at TDEE.

You also said that you started your cut on October 28th. That was only a few days ago. You definitely need to give it more time. Three days is way too early to determine if the process is working, Stay at this cut level for a month or two. Depending on what happens eating at this level, re-evaluate at that time. If your weight stays stable, you may even want to reconsider going back up to TDEE and doing a longer reset. It is all about tweaking your numbers and trying to find your sweet spot.

Make sure your TDEE calculations are correct, continue to weigh and measure your food, but try to not stress over the process. Stress is not our friend, especially in terms of weight loss.

Remember, we are all going through the same process - trying to figure out what works best for each one of us. There is no "one size fits all" response or answer. I have even found that what works one time will not work the next time. Our bodies are amazing at adapting. Hang in there and give it some time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Couple things stand out that shows you probably did your setup wrong.

You say you did sedentary during the reset, not sure why, as exercise, especially lifting, is the best thing to do while eating more and your metabolism is catching up.

If your hope was to remove stress from the body, usually the diet is enough unless you have a disease, sleep terrible, eat foods you are allergic too, and daily life is stressful, and your exercise was intense and frequent.

So no where is that recommended to stop exercise.

You say your TDEE is 2150, but you were sedentary during reset, and even in this message you say lightly active level.

But TDEE 2150 / 1380 BMR = 1.55 activity factor - which is Moderately Active, roughly 3 to 5 hrs of exercise on top of sedentary lifestyle.

But you didn't do 3-5 hrs of exercise, and sounds like even now you aren't.

Where did you get your TDEE level from?

From that, most definitely over-eating for what you needed to, even with unrecommended non-exercise level of activity.

Your complaint seems to be that you expected results during the reset, no inches and weight gain.
    So as Anitra explained, that can happen anyway with a rising metabolism and eating at what possible TDEE could be, but it's especially going to happen when you got the math wrong.

I'd suggest you start here with this spreadsheet. Seeing the numbers may help you understand what has to happen. Stay on the Simple Setup tab, and Progress tab, only.
    Get best estimates of BF%, BMR, activity, TDEE, and log your progress in inches.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker