Tracking Bacon

Options
Alrighty, I have been eating more Bacon than I feel is really appropriate for a human. When I add the bacon onto MFP, it usually says it's around 700-800 calories. For 7 pieces of bacon? No way man. So I'm guessing that this is the amount of calories in UNCOOKED bacon. Once I cook it, I have a TON of fat left over that I don't consume because i't just gross eating straight up grease, I can;t do it.

Anyone know how to track cooked bacon so it doesn't screw up my tracking? I know it can't be 100% accurate, but it looks as though I have eaten all my calories by breakfast.

Replies

• arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This doesn't exactly solve the issue with regular bacon, but have you thought about switching to bacon medallions ? the grease and purely fat part is much less there so you might track them more easily? :)
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    I don't really have a tracking solution for you, although I am in the same boat. I use a Foreman Grill for my bacon and the amount of fat, etc. that ends up in the collecting tray is crazy.

But, I have to say, that is some caloric dense bacon you are eating! The bacon I get from WholeFoods is 22.5 calories/ slice. Even the higher calorie stuff I got at my local supermarket chain was maybe double that. But yours is 100 calories/slice? holy crapola.

Alrighty, I have been eating more Bacon than I feel is really appropriate for a human. When I add the bacon onto MFP, it usually says it's around 700-800 calories. For 7 pieces of bacon? No way man. So I'm guessing that this is the amount of calories in UNCOOKED bacon. Once I cook it, I have a TON of fat left over that I don't consume because i't just gross eating straight up grease, I can;t do it.

Anyone know how to track cooked bacon so it doesn't screw up my tracking? I know it can't be 100% accurate, but it looks as though I have eaten all my calories by breakfast.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I count the bacon as it says but always save the grease & cook other foods in it too ;d
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a tracking solution for you, although I am in the same boat. I use a Foreman Grill for my bacon and the amount of fat, etc. that ends up in the collecting tray is crazy.

But, I have to say, that is some caloric dense bacon you are eating! The bacon I get from WholeFoods is 22.5 calories/ slice. Even the higher calorie stuff I got at my local supermarket chain was maybe double that. But yours is 100 calories/slice? holy crapola.

I know, there is NO WAY that that bacon once cooked is 100 cal a slice basically. I dunno, I guess if I'm doing Keto and my macros are where they need to be, I shouldn't worry too much about tracking the calories.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Pick a different bacon and just go with it. Most that I've seen are 25-40 cal per slice. The reality is - you don't know what you really have. The info in the database, may have been based on bacon that is more fatty, less fatty, bigger slices, smaller slices, etc. It'll never be exact to what you yourself are eating.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So MFP says 100 cals per slice, but does the nutrition facts on the label say the same? I say don't worry about it as long as you're still seeing progress and satisfied. :) yay fat!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I buy packaged Applegate Sunday Bacon from Whole Foods. It says on the label (if I'm remembering correctly, I think 2 slices = 60 calories). I usually make my bacon in a skillet and then cook my eggs in the bacon grease.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My bacon is 290 calories for 2 slices!! The only bacon I can find for 60 cals for 2 slices is Turkey bacon. I've wondered myself if the cal count is for raw or cooked.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    When I enter it, I enter "Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried" because that's just what comes up in the search when I search for Bacon. If that helps you.

Also, keep in mind that it's not bad to have saturated fat, even from bacon. I almost have to remind myself of that because the American "low-fat" stigma is so deeply engrained in our way of thinking. But there's so much research to show that actually, you don't need to worry about where your fat is coming from. Check out Drs. Peter Attia, Stephen Phinney and Eric Westman if you haven't already for more on that. Basically, as long as you're hitting your macros, don't worry too much about a few extra pieces of bacon. Trans-fats are way worse ;)
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Oh one more thing....if you want to mix it up some with your meat, I just discovered that turkey breast fried in coconut oil is beyond delicious! Seriously....I think it might be better than bacon. Blasphemy, I know!