Just left Doctors - Frustrated and lost appetite!!!!!!!!

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
I finally broke down and went to the doctor. I asked him to give me just a moment to explain my issues with him......and so it began

in 2010 I went and saw a dr. regarding my feelings that I might have something going on with my Thyroid and maybe Arthritis because of serious joint pain, he tested both and came back to tell me my Thyroid was borderline and I had no Arthritis, that I was a perfectly healthy 38 year old I was just fat. He then showed me a diagram on the wall of "portion control" (as if all fat people eat too much) and told me to follow his diet.......it was basically atkins.
I started Atkins shortly after and lost 20 lbs in 1 month and then nothing nothing nothing nothing.
Heard about HCG - Jumped on the band wagon and over the next year I lost 56lbs....but knew I could not live this way forever....back to Atkins
After the 2nd attempt I could not lose...I also did not gain. I did Atkins 2 months and tested the theory I was having by doing HCG for a short round. I lost 7 lbs.
I could lose! Went back into Atkins for a total of 8 months and did not lose and did not gain 1 single pound. I tweaked my macros and tried it all....no luck.
Reached out to friends on my HCG site about my belief that HCG ruined my endocrine and that it seemed HCG was the ONLY way I could lose now. I was approached by a friend there that told me about EM2WL.
17 weeks later 3 weeks into cut and here I am asking for you to test my thyroid again and this time check me for celiac, because during all of this I seemed to develop an intolerance for it.

All that above being said, he ordered the tests and basically said. If I want to maintain my weight eat how I am, but if I want to lose weight I need to eat under 2000 cals, Low Fat (no cheese, no dairy, no butter, no hamburger - all low or fat free stuff) and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO. :brokenheart: He also mentioned that Atkins or any Low Carb diet was super damaging to my kidneys (as if being fat is good for them).
He then asked if I wanted to be referred to his nutritionist, when I declined he said he could refer me to a weight doctor, who could prescribe me something :sad:

This just sucks.....I am so frustrated.

I did not eat today before my 2pm appointment because I had to fast......and it is 5:15pm and I still have not eaten. I am so frustrated that eating is not my friend right now......I am just beyond frustrated.:cry:

Replies

• Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Whilst I cannot give you a magic answer for the issues you are facing I can certainly send you much needed encouragement and support to keep trying. I myself have had my thyroid tested with the hope that is why my body wont give up the extra weight I am carrying. Everything came back normal...whatever that is :laugh:

Best wishes to you and keep believing :smile:
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Your Dr. sounds old school and I wouldn't listen to a thing he says about diet! Medical doctors just want to throw pills at nearly every issue.

Your post breaks my heart because it could have been me writing that! I had such a horrible relationship with food and dieting! It is VERY frustrating! But I want you to know there IS life after dieting. I've wondered if your numbers are just wrong. Maybe your TDEE is lower than you think and you're actually eating at or above it. How long have you been resetting now? Maybe it's time for a cut.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ^^^ agree.

If you have clearly started on the high side.
    If you have given it a good month at TDEE to show no gain/loss to rule out women's BMR change through the month.
    If you tested TDEE by eating 250 more for couple weeks to confirm slow slight weight gain only.
    If you have removed or lessened other stresses that could be as bad as stress of too big a deficit (food sensitivity, excessive exercise, no sleep, ect).

Then you may indeed have the up to 20% reduced metabolism you may have for years, and it would be better to lose weight with reduced metabolism and hope that recovers later if ever.

But, one thing always bothers me with these rare instances where you did seem to nail your TDEE, and you were even eating above your TDEE and gaining, is that a reasonable deficit would hopefully not bother the body so much it lowers metabolism that much.

But perhaps there is something to gluten along with deficit, and anything else, is too much stress for body to handle.

Perhaps you can spend a month at what should be a reasonable deficit to your tested TDEE, without the gluten, or greatly reduced levels, and see if the deficit comes back.

Because really, if your metabolism already got hit with that upwards of 20% more efficient, there isn't much room to move to make that worse, except do things slower, or slow down your NEAT levels.
    Do you still seem as energetic and active outside exercise?
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I started EM2WL on the Low Carb side. So I was eating between 2200 and 2800 cals a day depending. My TDEE was determined to be 2467. So really it was only changing my macros from 85% fat / 5% Carb/ 15% protein to the 40 carb/30 fat/30protein. I did not gain a pound in the first 3 weeks. Week 4 I went out out of town for 6 days and did not log foods, I gained 5 lbs. When I returned and logged I realized that I had been eating under BMR the week I was gone. When I got home and started eating TDEE again, I stabilized and maintained at the new 5lb gain. This happened again 3 weeks later despite my every effort to keep cals up to TDEE and I gained 4 lbs. Again I got home started eating at TDEE and stabilized 3rd time I went out of town week 9 I did just fine, I brought food and was able to keep cals up there. I did not gain, stabilized. In week 8 I thought I had been eating at the wrong TDEE the entire 8 weeks, and made the mistake of following a different calculator which actually had me up at 2800 cals....I did fine for 2 weeks...and then week 10 I started gaining and within 2 weeks gained 15 addition pounds bringing me to 25lb gain. But again once I figured it out and got back down to my TDEE I stabilized and maintained...so yes I guess I did try the "upping my cals to see if I gain". Per Lucia I did TDEE for 2 weeks more prior to cut. My first cut was 200 cals. I did that and had no loss and no gain. I also had some binge days, so I continued on with my cut at 2200 cals and still no losses. I am heading into week 4 cut and will be dropping into 2000. At the moment I am in my cycle, always wreaks havoc on my eats. I have been Gluten Free now 3 weeks. So I will also give it time. Gluten Free and cut all together you are right, might be stressing my body. Do you recommend heading back for TDEE for a time and cutting in a couple weeks? So there it is in a nutshell.

I am better today. I had a NSV when I was sitting here on the couch looking at my arms, I pushed my bicep on my right arm surprised at this muscle I saw there and realized no more squish....that in and of itself is a great accomplishment. And though I may not be seeing any results on the scale or measuring tape, I think it is working....slow and steady.....I cannot imagine that eating and moving would be bad right?
    ^^^ agree.

If you have clearly started on the high side.
    If you have given it a good month at TDEE to show no gain/loss to rule out women's BMR change through the month.
    If you tested TDEE by eating 250 more for couple weeks to confirm slow slight weight gain only.
    If you have removed or lessened other stresses that could be as bad as stress of too big a deficit (food sensitivity, excessive exercise, no sleep, ect).

Then you may indeed have the up to 20% reduced metabolism you may have for years, and it would be better to lose weight with reduced metabolism and hope that recovers later if ever.

But, one thing always bothers me with these rare instances where you did seem to nail your TDEE, and you were even eating above your TDEE and gaining, is that a reasonable deficit would hopefully not bother the body so much it lowers metabolism that much.

But perhaps there is something to gluten along with deficit, and anything else, is too much stress for body to handle.

Perhaps you can spend a month at what should be a reasonable deficit to your tested TDEE, without the gluten, or greatly reduced levels, and see if the deficit comes back.

Because really, if your metabolism already got hit with that upwards of 20% more efficient, there isn't much room to move to make that worse, except do things slower, or slow down your NEAT levels.
    Do you still seem as energetic and active outside exercise?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I started EM2WL on the Low Carb side. So I was eating between 2200 and 2800 cals a day depending. My TDEE was determined to be 2467. So really it was only changing my macros from 85% fat / 5% Carb/ 15% protein to the 40 carb/30 fat/30protein. I did not gain a pound in the first 3 weeks. Week 4 I went out out of town for 6 days and did not log foods, I gained 5 lbs. When I returned and logged I realized that I had been eating under BMR the week I was gone. When I got home and started eating TDEE again, I stabilized and maintained at the new 5lb gain. This happened again 3 weeks later despite my every effort to keep cals up to TDEE and I gained 4 lbs. Again I got home started eating at TDEE and stabilized 3rd time I went out of town week 9 I did just fine, I brought food and was able to keep cals up there. I did not gain, stabilized. In week 8 I thought I had been eating at the wrong TDEE the entire 8 weeks, and made the mistake of following a different calculator which actually had me up at 2800 cals....I did fine for 2 weeks...and then week 10 I started gaining and within 2 weeks gained 15 addition pounds bringing me to 25lb gain. But again once I figured it out and got back down to my TDEE I stabilized and maintained...so yes I guess I did try the "upping my cals to see if I gain". Per Lucia I did TDEE for 2 weeks more prior to cut. My first cut was 200 cals. I did that and had no loss and no gain. I also had some binge days, so I continued on with my cut at 2200 cals and still no losses. I am heading into week 4 cut and will be dropping into 2000. At the moment I am in my cycle, always wreaks havoc on my eats. I have been Gluten Free now 3 weeks. So I will also give it time. Gluten Free and cut all together you are right, might be stressing my body. Do you recommend heading back for TDEE for a time and cutting in a couple weeks? So there it is in a nutshell.

I am better today. I had a NSV when I was sitting here on the couch looking at my arms, I pushed my bicep on my right arm surprised at this muscle I saw there and realized no more squish....that in and of itself is a great accomplishment. And though I may not be seeing any results on the scale or measuring tape, I think it is working....slow and steady.....I cannot imagine that eating and moving would be bad right?

You gained 15 lbs in 2 weeks?

15 x 3500 if fat = 52500 excess calories over TDEE / 14 days = 3750 daily excess calories over TDEE.

Do you think there is any way possible you ate 3750 calories daily in excess of your TDEE for 2 weeks for that 15 lbs to have been fat?

You were eating at 2800 according to above time-line. Are you sure that was truly your average eaten for those 2 weeks that you gained 15 lbs?
    Was either weigh-in that showed that 15 lb increase an invalid weigh-in? You could have had false loss on first one, false gain on second one, and possibly a real one lb of fat gained.
    But even water weight, already eating at higher levels, not really going to happen unless you were carb starved on first weigh-in, and carb refilled plus lifted the day before and had high sodium meal on second weigh-in.

That math is not possible unless some great inaccuracies are going on.

Like gaining 5 lbs eating under BMR for a week. No, not possible. You'll never gain eating too little constantly. The problem with reduced metabolism in those cases is every binge or big meal is excess stored as fat. So you could look at 3 month time span and see the average was say eating 1200 calories. Never mind the fact each weekend of that 3 months was eating about 2000 over the actual suppressed TDEE of 1200, but the week was eating 1000 or less. Those numbers would cause a 15 lb fat gain in 3 months. That is the only way that eating under BMR, or any other number, causes weight gain.

But you didn't do that in 1 week. 5 x 3500 / 7 = 2500 excess calories daily over TDEE. Which you didn't do.

So to your first cut, it would take longer than 2 weeks to show a 1lb loss, easily masked by invalid weigh-in days.

I greatly question the math above being possible, hopefully I spelled it out enough for you to see most of that is not possible either.
    Something is happening with your weigh-in's and your logging or getting your average eaten levels.

If you've lost the gluten, that is one less stress on the body already, should be able to keep the deficit and see results, if the deficit is still reasonable.
  • sassiebritches
    Options

15 x 3500 if fat = 52500 excess calories over TDEE / 14 days = 3750 daily excess calories over TDEE.

Do you think there is any way possible you ate 3750 calories daily in excess of your TDEE for 2 weeks for that 15 lbs to have been fat?

You were eating at 2800 according to above time-line. Are you sure that was truly your average eaten for those 2 weeks that you gained 15 lbs?
    Was either weigh-in that showed that 15 lb increase an invalid weigh-in? You could have had false loss on first one, false gain on second one, and possibly a real one lb of fat gained.
    But even water weight, already eating at higher levels, not really going to happen unless you were carb starved on first weigh-in, and carb refilled plus lifted the day before and had high sodium meal on second weigh-in.

Like gaining 5 lbs eating under BMR for a week. No, not possible. You'll never gain eating too little constantly. The problem with reduced metabolism in those cases is every binge or big meal is excess stored as fat. So you could look at 3 month time span and see the average was say eating 1200 calories. Never mind the fact each weekend of that 3 months was eating about 2000 over the actual suppressed TDEE of 1200, but the week was eating 1000 or less. Those numbers would cause a 15 lb fat gain in 3 months. That is the only way that eating under BMR, or any other number, causes weight gain.

But you didn't do that in 1 week. 5 x 3500 / 7 = 2500 excess calories daily over TDEE. Which you didn't do.

So to your first cut, it would take longer than 2 weeks to show a 1lb loss, easily masked by invalid weigh-in days.

I greatly question the math above being possible, hopefully I spelled it out enough for you to see most of that is not possible either.
    Something is happening with your weigh-in's and your logging or getting your average eaten levels.

If you've lost the gluten, that is one less stress on the body already, should be able to keep the deficit and see results, if the deficit is still reasonable.
    [/quote]
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I see what you are saying. But I am telling you. I was stable until I would go out of town....skip meals and only eat about 1400 calories for 6 days I would leave stable and come home 4-5 lbs heavier. Get back to routine and stabilize with the 4-5 lbs still on me. Again out of town 5-6 days, left stable , eat 1500 ish cals and come home 4-5 lbs up. The trips are every 3 weeks. Finally figured something was up and started bringing food on my trip....I ate 2400 and gained 0 last trip. Was stable. THEN my TDEE mishap - added 400 cals to my TDEE (totally incorrect) was fine for first 2 weeks and gained 15lbs the last 2 weeks......I cannot explain any other way. My weigh ins are correct, I weigh 3 times, all the same. I started at 236, went to 241, then to 244 and now I am 260. 17 weeks. I am currently not gaining anything - but have been back to TDEE recently with TOM being here this week. But hoping for cut Monday. Also will be out of town again.

I see what you are saying, but I have no explanation. I am sure my logging has been off many times, but I am sure I never ate 3750 cals over TDEE. I know I rarely ever went over my TDEE by more then 200-400...does happen.

All that being said. That is one of the reasons that I am frustrated. Also one of the reasons I had my doctor check my thyroid. Something is a wreck.......on the up side I am seeing some muscle and my hope is that some of that weight is muscle. My biceps are looking awesome and my inner thighs are slimming........just frustrating. Hoping a 20% cut will help.

[/quote]