Losing a Best Friend?

Options
Did or does anyone feel that way...........about food? It doesn't help my husband "seems" likes he's constantly snacking and I miss it. I'm not hungry for it at all, but miss snacking while watching tv, our frequent going out to eat evenings/afternoons. I know we will just have to start doing other things to get out of the house, but today was just like, what else is there to do? Play on the PC, watch TV? Heaven forbid I should go out for a walk or do something productive in the house. (I did finally do that tonight......unburied my desk full of papers) But was just a lonely for food day. How sad is that?

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    So normal. Food was a friend, never critical, always available, exciting, and made you feel " good". It can still be a friend (go for quality not quantity! It just can't be yourBEST FRIEND any more. Still learning this lesson after 3 years.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is totally normal yet I have developed a strategy to deal with it. When ANY friend or relative suggests eating out, ordering in, stopping for ice cream or any other high sugar/high calorie food, I go right along with it saying 'Sure!!! Would anyone mind if I share a bite or spoonful from your dish/plate?' Then I get a small plastic spoon/cup and take a bit/piece. The majority of the food stays right in the 'sharer's' dish, and every OTHER person remains happy. It has worked in every situation so far - from birthday cakes to plates of brownies to full Chinese dinners.

Most restaurants are now OK with dinner sharing - they bring you a plate and you can scoop out a little portion. All my friends and relatives know my restrictions and yet they can still eat their share in peace and happiness. So far the bites/pieces/scoops & shares have not affected me in anyway. I'm happy and everyone else is too.

Try it ~ it might work in your situation. Good Luck. :laugh:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is totally normal yet I have developed a strategy to deal with it. When ANY friend or relative suggests eating out, ordering in, stopping for ice cream or any other high sugar/high calorie food, I go right along with it saying 'Sure!!! Would anyone mind if I share a bite or spoonful from your dish/plate?' Then I get a small plastic spoon/cup and take a bit/piece. The majority of the food stays right in the 'sharer's' dish, and every OTHER person remains happy. It has worked in every situation so far - from birthday cakes to plates of brownies to full Chinese dinners.

Most restaurants are now OK with dinner sharing - they bring you a plate and you can scoop out a little portion. All my friends and relatives know my restrictions and yet they can still eat their share in peace and happiness. So far the bites/pieces/scoops & shares have not affected me in anyway. I'm happy and everyone else is too.

Try it ~ it might work in your situation. Good Luck. :laugh:

I am only 3 weeks out from surgery, but I have already told my former "eating buddies" that I would be sharing their food when we go out to eat now. They are totally good with that. It's challenging to figure out how to socialize around food!

Back to the OP - I haven't so much felt like I am losing a best friend, but I have a very strong attachment to my habits that I have to break. I don't feel hungry, but sometimes I feel like I SHOULD feel hungry. In certain situations like watching tv, or coming home after work, I have to remind myself to ignore the cues to eat that are just habit.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was happy to loose "my food friend"; can't say it was ever a best friend though. I ate to deal with stress and chronic pain & fatigue. I tended to reach for carbs because most of that food has already been prepared; that is how I packed on the excess pounds.

Last night I was tempted with Taco Soup and Cornbread. I had 3/4 cup of the Taco Soup without the corn chips crushed in it. And I asked my sister for a small forkful of her cornbread. That satisfied my desire for it, and she completely understood since she has a lapband.

I think the suggestion of eating a BITE from other's plates maybe what will work for you, Debbie. It's at least worth a try. I also agree with the member that said to go for quality not quanity. Two GREAT ideas!! Thanks ladies! Boy it's nice not to have to watch someone eat around me each and every day. My dogs are all I have and I leave their dog food alone, LOL!!!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes all great ideas!! Today has been much better, but then we just returned from shopping for last minutes things for the wedding tonight. Kept busy, just wish I had had my water with me. Now back home I have some drinking to catch up on, but not hungry anyway. I'll probably have a small protein snack before we leave because even though I wouldn't be tempted to eat large portions tonight, I'm afraid everything will be carb laden and since I'm just under 3 weeks post op, too afraid to even come close to eating anything sweet or high in carbs. I've been very fortunate to avoid being sick with this and don't want to start now. It's hard to share with hubby, he eats small amounts of the high carb or fried foods.

Thank you all again for your comments. It's so nice to have a place to come to to share and learn from others. :happy: