The ultimate incentive to loose weight

Options
When you have an incentive to loose weight does it help you? It works with me and this time I have set my goal on something I never imagined I would be doing at this age. When (not if) I reach my target I am going to do a tandem parachute jump and as I will be 70 next year I plan to do it around my 70th birthday. For me that's something really different' albeit a bit bizarre' to aim for. Mentioned it to my husband and family expecting negative comments but they think its a fantastic idea. I mentioned my plan to a close friend who will also be 70 next year and she wants to do it with me. How about you. What is there that you wouldn't normally do that would be the best weight loss incentive for you.. Mad or what !!!!!!! :happy:

Replies

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! Tandem parachute jump. I expect to reach goal sometime next year. Will be 73.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You BOTH are INSPIRATIONS to our Sassy Seniors Forum...I get MOTION SICKNESS...but APPLAUD such thrills!! My daughter did that...in her MUCH younger days...and my MOM would have done this, given the opportunity...I think the thrill game skipped me!! hehehe...WTG, *EcoGranny* and *amfautist*
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have lost the weight I needed to. So I have had to set some new goals. #1 Go horseback riding again. #2 Go cross country skiing. #3 So on a cruise to a cruise to a warm climate. I know this are sedate compared to parachuting but can't so the height thing.
  • ecogranny
    Options
    I am so glad that others think in a similar way and I do think challenges keep you on your toes. Speaking of challenges my husband Jim (JB) normally grows a moustache for Movember ( play on November) to support male awareness of prostate cancer. He absolutely loathes the feeling of facial hair but feels the effort is worthwhile. Last year at our Christmas fair in the village (mine is the only non-French stall) the local reporter did an article on our Scottish participation in the fete but then did a large aritcle on Movember. RESULT....as any bit of publiciity heps and Jb was happy his horrible hair had helped. He isn't doing it this year as next weeks he's having heart surgery for an aneurysm on his artery. Its been there for 6 years, but now needs attention. Because his surgeon asked him to lose weight (he lost 20kgs in three months without a diet sheet ) and because of the diet change and lots of exercise he is approaching this surgery in the best physical state possible and his attitude is superb, totally optimistic and looking forward to having a bit of the Christmas pudding I have just made.
  • debilang
    Options
    *amflautist* Your new profile pic of your adorable dog...is sooooo cute!!!!!! I *love* when my granddog (standard poodle) yawns...her tongue is ALSO very long...hehehe...neat! (big smile)...

*greattimes* Wow...WONDERFUL Bucket List!!!!

Hope all are having a WONDERFUL life as you stick to your health and fitness goal :) I *love* to dance to my R&B Classics...and I got grrrreat exercise today!! My NSV was fitting into slacks that were a bit snug around the waist and hips...and they fit WONDERFULLY now!! I am forming my Bucket List...it is JUST SO MUCH FUN to do :happy:

Until next time!!
    Deb :heart: :drinker:
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well done to all the seniors doing parachute jumps etc, very proud of you
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    ......... Jb was happy his horrible hair had helped. He isn't doing it this year as next weeks he's having heart surgery for an aneurysm on his artery. Its been there for 6 years, but now needs attention. Because his surgeon asked him to lose weight (he lost 20kgs in three months without a diet sheet ) and because of the diet change and lots of exercise he is approaching this surgery in the best physical state possible and his attitude is superb, totally optimistic and looking forward to having a bit of the Christmas pudding I have just made.

Dear ecogranny, I do hope that all is going well with your husband and the surgery that was scheduled for him sometime this week. And that you are taking care of yourself also as you take care of your husband. That is awesome how he changed up his diet and exercised and is going into surgery in a very positive place.
    Praying for his recovery,
    Hugs :flowerforyou: ,
    Mary
  • ecogranny
    Options
    Thank you Mary for your kind thoughts - just what I needed today as yesterday I couldn't settle and its amazing when your routine is upset how your eating plan can go haywire. I love to cook but just couldn't and instead ate a whole pile of junk but didn't have the energy to stop myself. However got up today and and made myself a list of things to do/ to make etc and not all of them are onerous. As Jb was having his operation today it was exactly what i needed so I made lavender bags and cleared out kitchen cupboards. Rang the hospital tonight and all so far is well but its early days. Jb had a good start yesterday as the French radiologist asked him if he was English. On learning Jb is Scottish he burst into song, singing what is fast becoming Scotland's national anthem "Flowers of Scotland". So Jb joined in and sang along. The radiologist explained that he goes couple of times a year to Scotland for the rugby......................and the town is just 15 mins from my home town. Coincidence and a good start for Jb. What the rest of the hospital staff thought goodness only knows!! Cooked a simple pasta meal tonight so I feel as if I am back on track.:happy:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Thank you Mary for your kind thoughts - just what I needed today as yesterday I couldn't settle and its amazing when your routine is upset how your eating plan can go haywire. I love to cook but just couldn't and instead ate a whole pile of junk but didn't have the energy to stop myself. However got up today and and made myself a list of things to do/ to make etc and not all of them are onerous. As Jb was having his operation today it was exactly what i needed so I made lavender bags and cleared out kitchen cupboards. Rang the hospital tonight and all so far is well but its early days. Jb had a good start yesterday as the French radiologist asked him if he was English. On learning Jb is Scottish he burst into song, singing what is fast becoming Scotland's national anthem "Flowers of Scotland". So Jb joined in and sang along. The radiologist explained that he goes couple of times a year to Scotland for the rugby......................and the town is just 15 mins from my home town. Coincidence and a good start for Jb. What the rest of the hospital staff thought goodness only knows!! Cooked a simple pasta meal tonight so I feel as if I am back on track.:happy:

ecogranny, You described really well how our eating plan can go haywire when life is happening to us. Oh my, I totally understand not having the energy to stop myself when I feel like eating mindlessly and too tired to put on the brakes.

Well done starting over today by making your list and sticking to it. Doing that gave you clarity and focus for today.

I love the story of your husband's radiologist bursting into singing "Flowers of Scotland" and JB joining in. What a wonderful beginning of his hospital stay. That had to have such a positive effect on your husband's body and mind as he was preparing for surgery. I say bravo to the radiologist for caring about his patients as persons and not just a body being treated.

Your pasta meal was most certainly delicious since you like to cook :smile: Sleep well tonight.

Hugs,
    Mary
  • greypanther23
    Options
    Hi people, am back again, give it another go. Is 'reply' the only way of posting ? As one is not always replying?
  • debilang
    Options
    Hi Greypanther,

Thank you for keeping the conversation alive here. I have actually NOT been around, but, love reading encouragement from whence it came. Fortunately, encouragement and incentive to lose weight, and just to be healthy is sooo important at our age in the Senior category :laugh: I just want to be lucid and live my life with quality! Thank you for saying HI...

My *new* incentive is to STOP the Sugar intake (refined) for 30 days. I did it before, and felt ABSOLUTELY free from allergies. Yes, unfortunately, I am allergic to all that I was *testing* to see if I still was. hehehe...excuses, excuses...but the breakouts (rash) are real and uncomfortable. It is ALSO nice that I fit COMFORTABLY in all my clothes, and with all of my regiment here at MFP (more on then off)...I have reach a goal that wasn't on the radar...I wanna go back there (smile)...

Thanks again for your and everyone's thoughts!! Please keep them coming :))

Hugs and Smiles,
    Deb
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Hi people, am back again, give it another go. Is 'reply' the only way of posting ? As one is not always replying?

greypanther23, If you want to respond to a specific post you click on 'quote' under the post you want to respond to and then it creates a copy of it in your post and you can write out your response underneath. Just like I did with yours.

If you just want to make a post generally in the thread then you have to clidk the green 'reply' button.

Hope this helps. :flowerforyou: