Which Meds 4 Weightloss

Hello. I would love to know what meds have worked best for hypothyroid patients to loose weight.
I am hypothyroid due to hypopituitaryism. I am on a descicated thryroid supplement from my naturopathic doctor that is supposed to be similar to Armour. For some reason it's available without a prescription. It has helped a ton, but not with weight loss. There are a few other symptoms still around including lack of energy. We've increased to a pretty high dose, so I'm starting to think it's just not the right med for me - despite it making me feel a lot better than I did before taking it. I'm going to a different doctor this week and I think I want to switch, but I'm worried about gaining more weight when switching. I would also love for the switch to work :)
Any advise for this would be appreciated.

Replies

• ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Hello. I would love to know what meds have worked best for hypothyroid patients to loose weight.
    I am hypothyroid due to hypopituitaryism. I am on a descicated thryroid supplement from my naturopathic doctor that is supposed to be similar to Armour. For some reason it's available without a prescription. It has helped a ton, but not with weight loss. There are a few other symptoms still around including lack of energy. We've increased to a pretty high dose, so I'm starting to think it's just not the right med for me - despite it making me feel a lot better than I did before taking it. I'm going to a different doctor this week and I think I want to switch, but I'm worried about gaining more weight when switching. I would also love for the switch to work :)
    Any advise for this would be appreciated.

Thyroid meds won't "make" you lose weight. They will regulate your body where you are able to lose weight taking the normal steps (diet + exercise). For most, that regulation comes from both T4 and T3 hormones. Armour is a combo T3/T4 drug. I've found that in order to lose weight (when regulated), I have to eat less than other people. I stay below 1400 calories per day and do not eat back my exercise calories. With low-thyroid, your metabolism is slower. For me, gluten, dairy, and red-meat free have helped me maintain and lose weight. Everyone is different though. Bottom line- thyroid hormones aren't going to make you lose weight unless you're taking too much (but in some cases taking too much can make you gain weight as well), and you don't want to be taking too much.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    I have to agree with the last response and suggest eliminating certain foods. I haven't had any problems with red meat, but gluten and soy do a number on me. If I did just the meds alone, I don't think I would be having the same results. If you do look into a different eating plan, such as paleo or gluten-free, give it a full month trial to see how you feel.