started keto with bulletproof coffee, hungry now, why??

Options
sixpacklady
sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
This is my first day of keto and I had 300 calories worth of bullet proof coffee at 7. Its 9 am now and I am hungry. Its just like the other days when I just have a plain black coffee and I get hungry by 9. So what is happening. I thought all the butter, mct oil and heavy cream is supposed to fill me up and keep me full till lunch. Its 300 calories worth of stuff !!

Anyone else felt the same?

Replies

• craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I copy and pasted this from my morning bp coffee...I also drink mine throughout the morning though, so it lasts for me. I usually start drinking it at 8 a.m., done by 10-10:30 and not hungry until noon or 12:30...sometimes later. But my total was 394 calories and 45g fat this morning. The cream may help me a bit more too if you don't use that. But perhaps you need to up the fat content. Also, if this is your first day doing keto (not sure if you've been doing lowish carb already or not before this), but it will still take some time to get your body used to using fat as energy instead of carbs...so your body is probably craving those morning carbs still. Give it time and eat more fat. :)

Starbucks - Komodo Dragon Coffee, 8 oz
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.2 tsp
    Spices - Nutmeg, ground, 0.1 tsp
    Nutiva - Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin, 1.25 tbsp
    Dean's - Heavy Whipping Cream, 3 tbsp
    Butter - Unsalted, 0.75 tbsp
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    thanks, will give it some time.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    You should probably try to add a little protein in the morning, that will definitely help. I like to get mine from eggs, nuts or bacon, but you can definitely use something else if you prefer, those are just ideas. I find that even in ketosis, I will still get hungry pretty quickly if I don't eat something in the morning....keep in mind that when you wake up your body has had no food for 8 hours! Usually though, at least in my personal experience, if I have breakfast I don't get hungry until around 2pm. But in general it is a little harder the first week, especially if you've been having a lot of carbs before starting keto. Hope you adapt quickly and good luck!
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    You should probably try to add a little protein in the morning, that will definitely help. I like to get mine from eggs, nuts or bacon, but you can definitely use something else if you prefer, those are just ideas. I find that even in ketosis, I will still get hungry pretty quickly if I don't eat something in the morning....keep in mind that when you wake up your body has had no food for 8 hours! Usually though, at least in my personal experience, if I have breakfast I don't get hungry until around 2pm. But in general it is a little harder the first week, especially if you've been having a lot of carbs before starting keto. Hope you adapt quickly and good luck!

Thank you. yes, I am gonna add in some eggs for breakfast, there is no point in starving...
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a few people with this issue. Here's my theory. When I drink coffee, I'm a sipper. It's now noon, and I still have a few final drinks of my BPC to go - I've been working it since 8 am. For folks that drink a lot of coffee, I think they drink this straight down. Coffee started at 7 is gone by 8. So for those that drink it quickly, they are looking for something else to then have.

That's just my theory though. Give it a few more times, and if it doesn't work for you, find something that does.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks, while your body is changing from using carbs to fat as fuel, you are going to get hungry more often. This isn't true hunger but actually cravings. Many people don't track their calories during the first week or so because it is really hard to stick to the diet either way during that week. After getting into the habits, then people start tracking again. Both my husband and I had to do this and we both still lost weight, even though it is only water weight it is still nice to see the scale go down. Good luck!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a few cups of regular before I have my BP coffee. I try to start it later - about 9am and sip it. If I am in ketosis it holds me for 4 hours easy. I was out and am trying to get back in this week and it is not the same. I think once you get into ketosis you will see a change. Give it a few days of strict keto. Good luck!
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks, while your body is changing from using carbs to fat as fuel, you are going to get hungry more often. This isn't true hunger but actually cravings.

This ^ You have stated that you just started and your body is probably not in ketosis yet. Once you are in ketosis and your body's main fuel source is fat, you will feel full after a cup of bulletproof coffee (at least I do and my appetite dies). You can keep drinking it to keep the fat count up, but the effect you are looking for right now will not occur until you system has switched from carb burning to fat burning. You can speed up the effect by burning out your glycogen stores and forcing the change to occur quicker (lift, run, get active).
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Thank you all!

Strangely, I am finding that I used to be full at 1700 on my 40c/40p/30f ratio, but today (first keto day) I had to eat around 1950 to keep me satisfied. Will wait and see...
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is my first day of keto.../...Its 9 am now and I am hungry.../...I thought all the butter, mct oil and heavy cream is supposed to fill me up and keep me full till lunch.
    I began Keto in October. I guess it was sometime into the second week that I noticed I wasn't looking at the clock waiting for lunch time to hurry up and get here. Now, I'm fairly confident I could go without, however, I eat because I know I need to. Things will change. Be determined and give it a little more time. I bet you see a change fairly soon.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    You all are rockstars!! You guys had mentioned that once I get into ketosis, I will not feel hungry after the BP coffee.

So today, I had 1 tbsp MCT oil + 2tbsp cream with coffee, thinking that I will eat eggs when I become hungry at 9 AM. Now, its 11 AM and I am still not hungry.

Am I in ketosis already? This is only my 2nd day...

I am feeling a slight tummy discomfort, probably from the MCT oil. I use coconut oil for cooking, so I thought I wouldn't have any discomfort. So maybe I should try 1/2 tbsp MCT..
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can buy some keytone strips in the diabetes section of Wal-Mart. They are a (cheap) way to tell if you are ketosis, but I don't think you would be by day 2. It usually takes a minimum of 3 days and that is with burning off your glycogen stores. It takes a little longer for your body to make the required switch in chemistry to utilize fat efficiently.