Weight gain...please help!

Options
So, I woke up this morning and did my weekly weigh in....and I gained 3 pounds. I have NO idea why, so I'm hoping someone else can give me some insight? I've been consistently under on calories, keeping my carbs well under 30, and I've been hitting my macros aside from being a little low on proteins on a couple of days. My ketostix tell me that I'm producing ketones, in fact they are almost dark purple. I drink 10 glasses of water a day minimum, so I know I'm not dehydrated.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong??

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Was this the first week you gained? I wouldn't worry too much, I also don't lose weight every week, weight can fluctuate a bit. I would just stick to the keto diet and see first what happens next week. If you keep on gaining or stop losing weight then I would look more closely into it. I just posted a link earlier today about some reasons why people might not lose weight with keto:

http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

I also have heard that intermitted fasting or fat fasting can help:

http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks great. It's water weight. Don't stress. It's part of the joys of being a female. Is "that time" coming for you? I'd up your water consumption even higher and try for 12-16 glasses a day (less than that for me usually results in water weight gain).
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking it could be "that time" coming up, it just occurred to me. So it's very possible that this is my issue. Also I realized that I think I've been eating too much cheese, I hear that sets a lot of people back.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I definitely vote for water gain from "that time" if it is close. I would gain about 5 lbs about a week before I would start, and then about 2 days after it would end I would drop between 7 and 9 lbs. You might want to up your water intake during that time. The first time I went through it I was getting horrible headaches. I upped my water intake and they went away.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Do you supplement potassium? Either through tablets or through salt substitutes or whatever? I hear potassium helps you with water retention, but that may just be from exercise, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to the female body. :)

I find it odd that Sodium Chloride is useful for retaining water, yet Potassium Chloride does the opposite. I use Morton's Lite Salt which is around half-and-half NaCl and KCl with some iodide.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I definitely vote for water gain from "that time" if it is close. I would gain about 5 lbs about a week before I would start, and then about 2 days after it would end I would drop between 7 and 9 lbs. You might want to up your water intake during that time. The first time I went through it I was getting horrible headaches. I upped my water intake and they went away.

Most def. this! Only not before, but during... When the hormones get jumpy just stay away from the scale! Besides measuring is better anyway, tells way much more.