Winter vegetable soup recipe + awesome cookbook

Options
samuelsson
samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
With winter right around the corner -- especially here in western Pennsylvania -- I'm sharing this soup, which brings that delicious harvest feel to a lovely low-carb veggie soup.

The ManBeast and I have absolutely loved every recipe we have tried from this cookbook, "The Low-Carb Gourmet" by Karen Barnaby. I cannot recommend it enough. Every recipe can be further "keto-ified", although the macros in these recipes are pretty good for keto eaters!

ETA: I added a parsnip to my soup, too. The macros below are WITH the parsnip included.

WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 c. finely diced celery
1/2 c. finely diced onion
1 T. finely chopped Italian parsley
2-3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
8 c. chicken stock
2 c. canned Italian plum tomatoes with juice, finely chopped (I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juice)
1 c. diced turnips
1 c. diced daikon radish
1/3 c. diced parsnips
2 c. chopped green cabbage
2 c. chopped green kale leaves (remove stems)
1 oz. Parmesan, Grana Padano, or Pecorino Romano cheese, chopped into small chunks (or you could use cheese rinds, but remove those before serving)
bay leaf
sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a very large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery, onion, parsley, and garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.

Add the remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour, or until veggies are tender and soup has thickened. If too thick, add more stock or water. Season to taste. Remove the bay leaf and cheese rinds, if using.

Per serving: approx. 90 calories / 8 g. net carbs / 5 g. fat / 3 g. fiber.

Before serving, I like to put 1 t. basil pesto into the bottom of the soup bowl, then ladle the hot soup on top. Stir the pesto into the soup -- it is DELICIOUS! Sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan/pecorino romano. Serve alongside a pan-grilled bratwurst for a toasty fall meal.