Documentation for plastic surgery

Options
Agate69
Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
Some one asked what I did for documentation to get some insurance coverage

Did you ever have yeast or bladder infections when you were heavy? Go back and document days and medications used
Ever have under belly rashes or slimy ness? Take a photo each and every time. Note duration of event. Document what you did to clear it up. When I first approached plastic surgeon, I had all of this ready. Approval for Paniculectomy was approved within 24 hours. Thus doctor combined these procedures, paniculectomy and abdominoplasty. Insurance paid for over half,of surgeon fees, most of hospital charges, and don't know how anesthesiology fees will work out

I am day 5 post op and still pretty sore I just walked a half mile so that felt good to be outside, at least till rain started. I a sure this will be worth it , but I am tired and sore and pushing to get off pain meds.

Replies

• stephanielindsey
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info! I have really bad skin problems in all my "crevices." It's really good to know that I may be able to get some relief from that.
  • Agate69
    Options
    Even if yo do not go to a doc every time, document with time n date stamped photos. Pictures worth a hours and words.

By the way, just recently found out that desiring diaper rash ointment withheld highest % of zinc oxide dd a great job f control Gross smelling but it worked better than fungal cream
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!! I'm one of the ones that asked you to tell us how it was done. I'm sure there are many whom will follow your suggestions.

I'm glad you're feeling a little relief, but I'll be truly happy to hear when you're pass the painful stages following your surgery. Hang in there! :flowerforyou: Janis
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks so much for the information.
    So far, I've not had one skin yeast infection and I'm approaching 2 years since my RNY. Part of my 'luck' is rubbing Palmers Cocoa Butter Skin Therapy Oil all over my belly and hanging abdominal skin twice a week since the surgery. My surgeon suggested this to reduce the laparoscopic scarring. This application has completely eliminated yeast infections and that has been bitter sweet. I want that hanging skin removed, but haven't had any ill effects. Now I'm documenting that the hanging skin, everywhere on my body, is causing more physical effects - more structural aches and pains reducing my quality of life. I hope that works. Has anyone tried this approach?
    Thanks,
    Christine
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I just had a rash this week, so next time I will start documentation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Question: I just got done reading that most insurance companies would not pay for the abdominoplasty only the pannelectomy (sp?). How was were you able to get the cosmetic side of the tummy tuck and have the muscle tightening and belly button relocation?

Did it require some creative documentation on the part of the MD?

Thank you for your help
  • Agate69
    Options
    Yeast infections were occurring in both skin folds and deep in belly button area,,, You can choose not to have BB repositioned. I think the ab tightening had to do with documentation of back pain and documented inability to do back strengthening PT due to excess. Belly as a whole. Three years of serious documented exercising with trainer numbers of sessions, and specific exercises and proof that skin was a hindrance , that and a well known/ respected docs working together (orthodox and plastics). Course, what I have paid in copays for PT and gym fees may have paid for it up front.

FYI. I had two week postoperative check yesterday, some kind of tape removed from incision and now it is much more comfortable. Still need to wear a very tight abdominal binder 24/7. No gym for at least 4 more weeks.