Why the Starch Solution??

Options
Why did you decide to turn to the Starch Solution? What appeals to you? How long have you been eating this way?

Replies

• cfhburn
    cfhburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it started with Forks Over Knives. I missed the message of the movie and went vegan. Which helped some things like Blood Pressure and Blood sugar. I still ate junk food. Just vegan junk food like Oreos.

Then I discovered McDougall and watched a lot of his talks on you tube and was an instant convert. Been doing it for a month or so. Cholesterol down from 240 too 163. Not perfect but better. BP from 156/100 (with medication) to 132/76 (no meds). So far so good.
  • perky12415
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats. I went vegan after FOKs as well. And like you, it was junk food vegan. I am trying to make the switch now to the MacDougall program. I was doing Fuhrman's for awhile but it struggled mentally with it. With the starch solution, I find that it's difficult for me to wrap my head around that all that starch is so good. I somehow drank the Fuhrman kook-aid even though it is so hard to do it that way.

Either way, I am doing my best to stay away from oil.
  • cfhburn
    cfhburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fuhrman had a few interesting things...but I definitely can't do that amount of calorie restriction. The oil is hard, but worth it. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and drink lots of water.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to adopt more of these principles into my plant based approach. it seems to help fill me up better with foods that stick with me longer.
  • LydiaZembower
    LydiaZembower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy eating the healthier foods, especially fruits and veggies. I will have to make a homemade salad dressing. Does anyone know a good recipe. I will look at McDougall's books and see if I find one. I am not into junk food, so that is not too bad. I find that if you don't put any in your mouth, you are okay. However, as the saying goes, "No one can eat just one." That is so true. They put chemicals in the junk food that makes you want more.
  • ConnieDCuster
    Options
    Any McDougallers still out there? I've never done on line support/chatting. Saw pics of self yesterday and was stunned at my weight gain. I have become F-A-T. Have degree in Exercise Physiology & nutrition. Knowledge w/o accompanying behavior sucks! I'm very pleased with what I have learned by studying McDougall approach. Due to stress have put off change in life style until I retire... which is two weeks away. It's time to make the decision to match my eating behaviors with my beliefs. My new job will be to learn to cook a starch based McDougall Diet and befriend our fabulous Mission Valley YMCA in San Diego. I've set up a fit bit bracelet and synched their program w/ MFP. Anyone interested in a chat? I want to increase my healthy lifestyle consciousness. I should call myself "Potato Head" in honor of the world health organization's recent food of the year and the mainstay of the McDougall diet.

Cheers!
  • karenkkj
    karenkkj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I watched Forks Over Knives and loved it. I wanted to eat a whole foods plant based lifestyle but they didn't really tell me how to do it. I found that The Starch Solution showed me how to do it and in a way that kept me from being hungry all the time. The book just makes sense. Please feel free to add me as a friend, please mention you eat the McDougall way.Karen
  • neybor
    neybor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started eating the starch solution diet. I wanted to feel better and loose weight. I watched Forks over Knives probably 3 years ago. I bought and read the book The Starch Solution, then decided that I would try this. I am pre-diabetic (I take pills not injections) and my mother (was), father and sister are insulin dependent. I have been at a plateau and decided to make the change to the starch solution. I have been doing this for a month.

I have noticed that several things have improved: I had a case of psoriasis on my scalp (which I have blamed on my blood sugar medicine because it came on when I started taking the pills) has totally cleared; my knees don't hurt any more; my back does not hurt; I have lost 10 lbs. I can't wait to see what other things change for me.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    lets revisse this group please
    I just started this wonderful way of eating and so happy I did.
    come and join me
    Marie
  • nnyarko19
    nnyarko19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in reviving this group. I just watched FOK about a month ago then came across McDougall 's talks on YouTube. I've yet to read the book but have started changing up my diet based on his talks and other's tips. Plan to get the book this week.

How is it going for everyone? Diabetes and high blood pressure runs in my family so this lifestyle of eating really appeals to me. Do you ever feel like you miss certain foods? How is it eating out? I am single and live in a big city where I happen to eat out fairly often with friends.