low carb recipe ideas...

Options
It will be a great help if everyone posted their favourite low carb recipes which works for them so we all can have more ideas to help us with our weight loss!

My recipe ideas:

get boneless chicken steaks or wings or any other chicken cut (wothout skin and fat) and put some nice spices on it and grill or oven bake with some nice vegetables on the side. Fills you up and eat two steaks if your have a bigger appetite. a low carb diet also suppresses your appetite, so you will soon notice your appetite going a lot smaller than it was when yu startted.

You can also try a nice omelette with lots of veg mixed inside or scrambled. (I use one whole egg and 2 egg whites which makes it low fat along with filling) You can add veg or a salad on the side.

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just a question, why skinless? Aren't we supposed to be eating low carb but high fat?
  • rotielover
    rotielover Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are correct in what you say -- this should indeed be high fat, high protein, low carbs. Fat serves to keep you full longer, and does not contribute to remaining fat :).

Check out the Atkins site on induction for more info:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/How-to-Do-Induction-Right.aspx
  • slimmingteacher
    Options
    I believe when you can do without it why have it? Why have the excess wheb i know that doing a low carb diet and avoiding the not needed fat could exceed my weight loss?
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I suppose its all about preference when it comes to chicken skin. I myself LOVE chicken skin, especially when its crispy from pan-frying. I myself have a lot of recipes of sorts for LC food. Well, I'm actually paleo. Most of my stuff is chicken, chicken, chicken! :D with the occasional beef/pork, etc.

First up: Wraps!

I love wraps, plus they are easy and great to eat when I'm on the go to work. I just get large romaine leaves or kale leaves (if you like raw kale). I stuff them with say, tuna or leftover chicken, add homemade paleo mayo or salsa and any veggies. Its yummy and easy.

Something I like to use a lot with my food, since I used to love rice is, cauliflower "rice". Just place pieces of cauliflower into a food processor, pulse until its like rice, place in boiling water (or steam in a bamboo steamer with some spinach leaves and herbs to add flavor. Maybe even use jasmine tea for that smell and flavor of jasmine rice) for 5 minutes, drain and serve. :3

When it comes to chicken, I like to use it curries, grill it, bake it, fry it. I have a killer recipe for chicken tenders that are totally paleo. I use arrowroot flour but tapioca starch can also be used. I get a lb of chicken breast meat that I cut into strips. Add about 1/3 of a cup of arrowroot flour (all in the same bowl), an egg white (or the whole egg if you like), salt and pepper to taste, cumin, paprika, chili powder, pureed garlic (I like mine garlicky so I add like a tablespoon, so for those that like subtle, a tsp would be good), and chili flakes for a bigger kick. If you don't like it spicy, skip the chili powder and chili flakes (paprika is not spicy). I mix it all together and depending on how wet the batter is, add a bit more arrowroot until its coated nicely and it all sticks to the chicken. I heat up olive oil, or coconut oil, depending on what I have on hand, fry them in two batches (they are fried twice so it gets that nice crispy crust). If you're avoiding frying, you can bake them at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.

One thing I love to eat are salads. Salads are versatile. You can add anything and everything to them. You can mix chicken with fruits and nuts, make it more savory and add avocado, olives, use spinach, mixed baby greens, kale, etc etc. A simple dressing I like to use that is amazing (and best suited for savory stuff and if you like the tang), 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2-3 tsps of lemon/lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. :3

I have more stuff and if you guys want, I can share. :D
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I need help on how to cut out more carbs in general. I know you have to cut out the bad carbs such as breads, flours bread crumbs and such and more good carbs. Ive recently increased my proteins but how can I decrease it in other ways
  • 40misti
    Options
    I really need help with chips! They are my downfall. I am a total chips and salsa kinda girl and need my fix. People saw use bell pepper slices, while I love bell peppers, it doesn't satisfy that craving. I've done the cheese crisp but I have to watch my sodium because I have a heart condition. So if anybody has a recipe for something that is like a real chip, I'd totally love you forever!
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also a lover of chips, so I choose multigrain. I also would like to experiment in making my own.
  • musicboxes
    Options
    SAUSAGE ROTEL DIP

Our new family fav dip: (Sausage; cream cheese & Rotel tomatoes). We should have made a double batch!

#www.food.com.
  • KRoth416
    KRoth416 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this chick's blog/site: kalynskitchen.com! Check it out! I was drooling yesterday looking at recipes! She's ALL low-carb meals AND has links to other websites with other tasty low-carb ideas!!
  • KRoth416
    Options
    @40misti: why dont you make your own chips? buy a low carb tortilla/wrap and cut them up into triangles and bake/broil them...you could add some salt prior to baking if you wanted to. just a thought?
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im with musicboxes and 40misti. About 2 weeks ago I decided to cut back big time on chips and add in more proteins and then this past Sat I was craving chips I did get a small bag tho. And I made it last over 2 days but thats my down fall chips not sweets
  • musicboxes
    Options
    Haven't made them into chips yet...but try a variety of Flatouts.
  • musicboxes
    Options
    Taco salad shell: My husband turned a round bowl (for use in the oven) upside down, sprayed it with Pam, laid a round Wrap on bowl & gently pressed down & baked. Makes a healthy shell to make your own taco salad.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have celeriac chips. Cut into chunky chips and par-boil for a couple of mins then put on baking paper on a baking sheet and spritz with Frylite, salt & pepper and cook at 200C for about 40 mins, turning once.

Yesterday I made this "bread" and it is scrumptious....

http://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/07/paleo-pumpkin-bread-2/
  • slimmingteacher
    Options
    I suppose its all about preference when it comes to chicken skin. I myself LOVE chicken skin, especially when its crispy from pan-frying. I myself have a lot of recipes of sorts for LC food. Well, I'm actually paleo. Most of my stuff is chicken, chicken, chicken! :D with the occasional beef/pork, etc.

First up: Wraps!

I love wraps, plus they are easy and great to eat when I'm on the go to work. I just get large romaine leaves or kale leaves (if you like raw kale). I stuff them with say, tuna or leftover chicken, add homemade paleo mayo or salsa and any veggies. Its yummy and easy.

Something I like to use a lot with my food, since I used to love rice is, cauliflower "rice". Just place pieces of cauliflower into a food processor, pulse until its like rice, place in boiling water (or steam in a bamboo steamer with some spinach leaves and herbs to add flavor. Maybe even use jasmine tea for that smell and flavor of jasmine rice) for 5 minutes, drain and serve. :3

When it comes to chicken, I like to use it curries, grill it, bake it, fry it. I have a killer recipe for chicken tenders that are totally paleo. I use arrowroot flour but tapioca starch can also be used. I get a lb of chicken breast meat that I cut into strips. Add about 1/3 of a cup of arrowroot flour (all in the same bowl), an egg white (or the whole egg if you like), salt and pepper to taste, cumin, paprika, chili powder, pureed garlic (I like mine garlicky so I add like a tablespoon, so for those that like subtle, a tsp would be good), and chili flakes for a bigger kick. If you don't like it spicy, skip the chili powder and chili flakes (paprika is not spicy). I mix it all together and depending on how wet the batter is, add a bit more arrowroot until its coated nicely and it all sticks to the chicken. I heat up olive oil, or coconut oil, depending on what I have on hand, fry them in two batches (they are fried twice so it gets that nice crispy crust). If you're avoiding frying, you can bake them at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.

One thing I love to eat are salads. Salads are versatile. You can add anything and everything to them. You can mix chicken with fruits and nuts, make it more savory and add avocado, olives, use spinach, mixed baby greens, kale, etc etc. A simple dressing I like to use that is amazing (and best suited for savory stuff and if you like the tang), 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2-3 tsps of lemon/lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. :3

I have more stuff and if you guys want, I can share. :D

Wow! I love the idea of the cauliflower rice! I will defo try that one! x
  • slimmingteacher
    Options
    I really need help with chips! They are my downfall. I am a total chips and salsa kinda girl and need my fix. People saw use bell pepper slices, while I love bell peppers, it doesn't satisfy that craving. I've done the cheese crisp but I have to watch my sodium because I have a heart condition. So if anybody has a recipe for something that is like a real chip, I'd totally love you forever!

Hi Misti,

I totally understand where you are coming from! Eventhough it is still carbs I would suggest sweet potato as it is a better option to normal potato. Or a better option would be parsnips..once I had parsnips for xmas dinner at my workplace and didn't realise they weren't chips till someone told me after I finished my meal! Cut the parsnips into chip shapes and put a tiny bit of frylight spray and toss it in lemon juice and black pepper and oven cook them. hope that helps! x :)
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is fab, as is cauliflower mash... and celeriac mash for that matter. Courgettes can be peeled with a julienne peeler and fried for about 60 seconds to make "spaghetti" too....
  • KRoth416
    Options
    I just had cauli-rice with dinner the past two nights... Very good!!
  • rotielover
    rotielover Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Classic Muffin in a Minute - Atkins recipe perfect for those times when you need a quick meal.

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
    1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
    1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon butter

Directions

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced - I have used Bannana extract, almond extract, and garlic (separately lol) to flavor mine

Some people count the flax as a carb/fiber wash, so then the net carbs would be 2.78.
  • vaidajurgaityte
    vaidajurgaityte Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.. I just don´t get it about fats what you are saying.. sorry if that was answered already before.. but why you keep the fats high?
    What benefit does that bring?

I have totally reduced fat to a minimum, carbs as well, ate almost protein and veg, drank 2 litres of water and green tea, and lost 4.5 kg in 3 weeks.
    Eating fats, even though if followed by high protein...? how can you loose your fat reserve consuming additional fats?