Kickbox and dental implants

Options
TheBoldCat
TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
Hi guys,

am going to have dental surgery tomorrow and will get implants for approx. 7 upper front teeth. It's not cheap and am wondering if anybody is doing MMA and having implants. Should i purchase mouth guard? Am not profi fighter but don't want to give up on kickboxing just because of dental implants. Also am curious how long after surgery i should wait before continue the kickbox lessons?

I'll ask my dentist tomorrow but would like to hear some advices from you guys...thanks

Denise

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't have dental implants, but I ALWAYS wear a mouth guard when sparring. I don't think it would really affect your training except that you will need to give yourself time to heal up first. That's what happened to me last year when I had brain surgery. Doc said, "no getting hit in the head for 1 year". God it was a long year lol. Although I did start training again about 2 months after my surgery, just no sparring. But do whatever your dentist tells you. Like you said, "it's not cheap".
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Agree with j75j75, you should always wear a mouthpiece when sparring.

Depending on your finances you may want to get your dentist to do a custom mouth guard for you. I would seriously consider it due to the expensive dental implants you are getting.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thanks for advice, i had a talk with my dentist, now i cannot do kickbox for a month, going for check up in 3 weeks. He also mentioned the custom mouth guard. Good thing is, he apparently does mma as well so he knows the situation from both sides.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    thanks for advice, i had a talk with my dentist, now i cannot do kickbox for a month, going for check up in 3 weeks. He also mentioned the custom mouth guard. Good thing is, he apparently does mma as well so he knows the situation from both sides.

Always nice to have a dr/dentist who truly understands :)