First treadmill workout of the season

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
Now that we've switched the hour back, it's too dark when I get home from work to go out running. Today was my first treadmill workout.
I've set the incline to 2 and it feels very similar to running outdoors on flat ground. I'll treat 2 as "flat" and 4 as "hill" for the time being and see how that works.
Also, I was pleasantly surprised at my pace. When I left the treadmill in the spring, I was running at a pace of 6.2-6.4 Km/hr. Today that pace was much too slow and I kept bumping into the front of the machine. My comfortable pace today was 7.0 Km/hr! I was surprised and pleased.

I completed W10D1 of the 10K program that I'm half-arsed following: 4X 15 minute intervals with a 2 min, 3 min and 4 min walk between the intervals. I did it quite comfortably, too, so I'm happy with that.

I feel really good today about my progress this summer.

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You should feel good about your progress too - you keep on putting your shoes on and improving every time you do it so be proud of what you've accomplished :D

That's good information about the treadmill incline!

I can't remember the last time I 'ran' on a treadmill, maybe 8yrs?. I say 'ran' as I know it would have been a flat out run for about 30secs before walking whilst unable to breathe then skulking off to the elliptical lol

In anticipation of snowy/icy weather I've been looking at local gyms to see who offers day passes for the days when it's really too dangerous to run outside (I don't want to take out a contract as I know from the past I wouldn't go often enough to make it worthwhile). A couple do, though they charge handsomely for the privilege. Now I just need to check if they have a restriction on how long you can hog a treadmill as if I am paying over £10 for the use I won't want to have someone tapping my shoulder after half an hour lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Now that we've switched the hour back, it's too dark when I get home from work to go out running. Today was my first treadmill workout.
    I've set the incline to 2 and it feels very similar to running outdoors on flat ground. I'll treat 2 as "flat" and 4 as "hill" for the time being and see how that works.
    Also, I was pleasantly surprised at my pace. When I left the treadmill in the spring, I was running at a pace of 6.2-6.4 Km/hr. Today that pace was much too slow and I kept bumping into the front of the machine. My comfortable pace today was 7.0 Km/hr! I was surprised and pleased.

I completed W10D1 of the 10K program that I'm half-arsed following: 4X 15 minute intervals with a 2 min, 3 min and 4 min walk between the intervals. I did it quite comfortably, too, so I'm happy with that.

I feel really good today about my progress this summer.

That is awesome, Plexgut. I'm glad your transition back on is much smoother than your transition off. :)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Thanks, Varda.
    I'm now feeling a bit deflated because, after doing the math, my treadmill speed is slower than my outdoor speed!! I thought that my treadmill may be out of cal (not counting distance correctly) but it's the speed. Sigh. Why, oh why, does it feel like I'm going quickly on the treadmill when it's slower than when I run an easy pace outdoors? Ugh!
    I'll figure it out and adapt, I know, but it was a bit deflating to find that 7K/hr is slow.......on the other hand, running 7+K/hr is great, so there's a good side to this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are still running!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    That is the biggest plus of it all, Varda! I'm a runner. I feel like one and I run like one. :smooched:

Today, I had such a good run. I ran along at a comfortable pace for 6K and enjoyed every step; finishing in 48:57. I felt great getting home and still feel wonderful. It's a good start to a day.