Hungry

Options
primalkiwi
primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
Does anyone else have days where they are ravenously hungry even with eating paleo? In all the months/years I've been eating this way I'm usually completely satisfied after each meal and can easily go 7 or more hours between meals without hunger except for the last 2 days.

I ate a huge breakfast at 6, was nearly passing out with hunger at 10 (couldn't stop work to eat though), big lunch at 12, crazy hungry again at 3, just ate a big dinner and half an hour later I'm hungry again. Otherwise feel fine (good energy, not grumpy etc). I've had 1700 calories, 44carbs, 96 fat and way up on protein at 160. Haven't been working physically or exercising. Just so hungry and not sure why.

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    The only time I experience this is when it's around my t.o.m…it sounds like your body needed it or you wouldn't have been feeling that way.
    Go with the flow!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The only time I experience this is when it's around my t.o.m…it sounds like your body needed it or you wouldn't have been feeling that way.
    Go with the flow!

Agreed. Also, your fat seems a tad on the low side and protein a little high. Unless you're lifting weights, you probably don't need quite so much protein (and even then, protein seems rather high from what I can guess of your LBM off your pictures), so try swapping out some of the protein for fat and see if that helps.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just started Whole30 and I am hungry almost all the time... eating half an avocado with each meal helps, or at least some type of fat. :)
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    eat more fat eat more fat eat more fat... This is all I hear whenever anyone brings up hunger. And as much of a cliche as it's become - it's truly what works for me. I had fajitas for lunch last Sunday with a giant scoop of guac and literally didn't feel like eating till the next morning. The fat content of the guac was the only major difference between that meal and my typical meals otherwise. FTR, I try and stay PFC% = 25/50/25
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    degan2011: Me too! I worry that I'll end up gaining weight on the whole 30

LisaGNV: I keep hearing this eat more fat paleo mantra, but it doesn't help everybody . My default is to eat 145g fat a day(65%), and I am battling with hunger on the whole 30 and I ate 192 g(69%) fat yesterday, the day before 199 g(73%)! How much more fat a person can eat? I am putting bacon grease on my hardboiled eggs by default and eating avocados with my meals. I start to think I need to eat more protein instead of fat, because it seems that I am less hungry on high protein days.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Can we eat all the fat?? LOL! kidding of course - and I completely agree with you - more fat isn't the answer for everyone - we're all different, move differently, eat differently, live differently. I sometimes am amused by my own fat/protein intake since switching to Paleo versus when I ate more of a bodybuilder's diet. It's practically incomparable.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    degan2011: Me too! I worry that I'll end up gaining weight on the whole 30

LisaGNV: I keep hearing this eat more fat paleo mantra, but it doesn't help everybody . My default is to eat 145g fat a day(65%), and I am battling with hunger on the whole 30 and I ate 192 g(69%) fat yesterday, the day before 199 g(73%)! How much more fat a person can eat? I am putting bacon grease on my hardboiled eggs by default and eating avocados with my meals. I start to think I need to eat more protein instead of fat, because it seems that I am less hungry on high protein days.

There is a point of diminishing returns, of course. You'll eventually get to the point where you're not eating enough protein. Protein slows down the digestion process, which it what helps with satiety. However, the reverse is also true - too much protein and not enough fat will do the same thing. That's why there's also the cliche of "dialing in" your specific diet to your needs.

Also, if you have just dropped your carbs, you'll often find yourself more hungry for a while, as your body adjusts to the lower availability of dietary sugar. That's why beginners guides often say, if you're hungry, eat. Send your body the message that it has fuel, it just has to use the different form than it's used to.
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts - yeah protein was high because pre-cooked meat (chicken breast, leftover taco filling) were the quickest easiest snacks to grab. My protein is not normally this high! Fat is probably a lot more than recorded but I'm not one to stand around measuring stuff out but suspect there's probably a third more consumed than recorded.I'm not shy of consuming plenty of fat!! Generally my fats for the day will include an avocado, a big tablespoon of coconut oil, butter on everything, a couple of TB's of homemade mayo, fat on my steak etc.

I'm also not new to this way of eating (approx 2 years) which is why suddenly being so ravenously hungry took me by surprise as my body is used to this carb level. Not t.o.m either. Third day of being hungry today - made a big frittata last night to get me through the munchies today. Sort of worked. At least I'm not feeling tempted to fill up on rubbish, just the good stuff :-)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts - yeah protein was high because pre-cooked meat (chicken breast, leftover taco filling) were the quickest easiest snacks to grab. My protein is not normally this high! Fat is probably a lot more than recorded but I'm not one to stand around measuring stuff out but suspect there's probably a third more consumed than recorded.I'm not shy of consuming plenty of fat!! Generally my fats for the day will include an avocado, a big tablespoon of coconut oil, butter on everything, a couple of TB's of homemade mayo, fat on my steak etc.

I'm also not new to this way of eating (approx 2 years) which is why suddenly being so ravenously hungry took me by surprise as my body is used to this carb level. Not t.o.m either. Third day of being hungry today - made a big frittata last night to get me through the munchies today. Sort of worked. At least I'm not feeling tempted to fill up on rubbish, just the good stuff :-)

It can happen even to experienced people, if the macros in your diet start creeping off (and then, if you notice and reset them). It could also be that you're fighting a bug or something off. I'd say listen to your body and feed it a little more for a while. Regardless of the cause, it should settle out within another few days.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    One thing I find that helps a lot with satiety is ensuring I get enough water.

Also, for me, if I eat an early breakfast I feel that I'm starving by like 1030. Intermittent fasting has really helped me a lot with not eating too much.

Other than a coffee and some BCAAs if I workout, I generally don't eat anything until lunch. I have a big meal and that'll hold me until dinner pretty easily.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    2 yrs, eh? Since you eating like this for such a long time, I doubt the issue related to your dietary intake. My guess it is something totally unrelated maybe hormonal. Are you sure you are not pregnant? Or started some medication?
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    Cheers everyone for the input :-) Checked on the scale this morning and despite eating like a hippo for the last 3 days I've lost 5lbs in the last 5 days. WTF?
    Def not pregnant, no meds so guess my body was just fighting something off. Water intake is always around 2.5 litres a day. Nowhere near as hungry today.
    I've tried intermittent fasting on weekdays previously but it's not for me - it means I'm working physically hard for nearly 6 hours before I can eat and I get a bit light headed which is not great when working at the top of a ladder in the heat. I usually IF over weekends when I'm not doing anything that involves heights and balance!
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go with the flow!

I'm constantly hungry during my t.o.m. That's one of my main signs it's coming.