caseythirteen's bulking log

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    And weigh in on Thursday this week and not Friday. :laugh:

Hahahaha...true that!!!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    I fluctuated all over the place in those first 2-3 weeks.
    I think there is a Lyle McDonald article that specifically talks about how bulking progress via scale can be difficult for women due to our hormonal fluctuations through the month.
    He suggests weighing once a month at the same time in your cycle. Which is a little long for me to wait. Or...he suggests weighing once a week, but comparing the weeks in our cycle only to that same week in the cycle the previous month.
    So....week 1 compared to week 1 each month, week 2 compared to week 2, etc.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I fluctuated all over the place in those first 2-3 weeks.
    I think there is a Lyle McDonald article that specifically talks about how bulking progress via scale can be difficult for women due to our hormonal fluctuations through the month.
    He suggests weighing once a month at the same time in your cycle. Which is a little long for me to wait. Or...he suggests weighing once a week, but comparing the weeks in our cycle only to that same week in the cycle the previous month.
    So....week 1 compared to week 1 each month, week 2 compared to week 2, etc.

But damn, that means a month before you even figure things out?? And the flaw in that for me is that I'm unfortunately not regular. Other than I'm regularly not regular. Add it to the long list of how women got cheated! I guess me and my sodium will slunk off to the corner and keep on keepin' on.
  • caseythirteen
    I'm about 3.5 weeks in now but don't have much of an update. My weight seems to not be fluctuating quite as much as it was and it's up anywhere between 1.6 - 2.8 lbs from when I first started using my new scale. Honestly, I have no idea what to consider a starting point though so it changed so much at the beginning. The numbers also aren't quite adding up in terms of average calories and weight gain so I'm really not sure what to think. I know it's not linear though so I can't get caught up in that too much. Considering that I still have higher days on the weekends, I think I'll keep my calories where they are for now, which is in the 2300-2400 range (by macros).

As for my lifts, I'm not jumping by big amounts but every time it's better than the time before in either weight or reps so that's good. I'm feeling a bit stronger but I was hoping for more. It might be that my calories aren't high enough for that. So this is kind of a work in progress too. I'm happy that I almost hit 4x5x90 for chest press today. I couldn't get a 5th rep in the 3rd set because my form was off but I think I could have if it hadn't been. So that's definitely better for me.

The plan is to just keep on keeping on, Making sure I'm eating my calories, keeping it as in check as possible on the weekends (a bit harder this time of year), and making sure I am staying focused and pushing myself in the gym.
  • I haven't made any huge leaps with lifting either. I have been able to up the weight with most of my lifts, but nothing crazy. Not sure what I was expecting. Maybe in the back of my mind I thought all the extra foodz would make me a badass powerlifter over night :laugh: I can say that I am able to lift at a higher volume with more intensity and for longer periods. There are days I have to make myself quit. I guess I'll take what I can get.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    You're doing awesome! As long as you're increasing every week then you're good.
  • TriLifter
    Sounds about how I feel--it's like, is my body really doing anything? Because I'm not really feeling/seeing it yet. We'll get there. I have faith.
  • sarahstrezo
    Give it time. You are doing great so far!!
    My lifting seemed to get a boost right away and then again whenever I upped my calories. But your body does get used to the extra food and kind of tapers off in the energy, I think.

I agree with Holly, as long as you are progressing over time (weather it's weight or reps), you are doing great!
  • caseythirteen
    Funny how a couple weeks ago I complained about my weight being all over the damn place and now it's steady as a rock! The first couple weeks were bouncy but this week I have weighed the exact same every single day.

Week 2- weight: 116.2 ....... avg. calories: 2430 (was still fluctuating a bit here and in to next week)
    Week 3- weight: 117.4 ....... avg. calories: 2720 (put a SWAG of 5000 in for Thanksgiving and weight was day before Thanksgiving)
    Week 4- weight: 117.6 ....... avg. calories: 2300

So since Week 4's weight reflects a gain from Thanksgiving week, I really think my TDEE is in the 2300 range, especially since I've dropped most cardio. I still do it here and there but not like I was.

I can't decide if I want to stay at 2300 for another week and see what happens or go up to 2400.
  • TriLifter
    If you've mostly dropped cardio, you may want to keep it one more week at 2300 abd see how it goes.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Wow, it sounds like your metabolism is really on fire. I agree with PR, stay at that same 2300 another week just to see what happens. If your weight stays the same, you've found your new TDEE based on less cardio. :drinker:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Yep hold out for another week and go from there.
  • caseythirteen
    Thanks for your feedback ladies! In my head, I was leaning that way too. My stomach has wanted to consume ALL THE FOOD the last two days though so it was trying to vote for 2400.
  • TriLifter
    LMAO! If there's days you want to eat 2400, by all means DO IT!
  • sarahstrezo
    I vote for calling 2300 your TDEE and going up to 2400 ;)
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Sarah, I'd say eat what your body is telling you to. If you are still hungry eat. I go through phases like that too, it doesn't last forever. Since you are trying to gain, there's no reason to deprive yourself is you are still hungry. I've gone over by more than 1000 calories on a few days, it did not result in me getting fat. Lol
  • caseythirteen
    Oh, I definitely go over when I'm hungry! I'm not one to stick to my calorie limit even though my stomach is growling. I was just being silly. :wink:
  • caseythirteen
    Week 5 --

weight: 117.2 (down .4 from last week)
    average calories: 2500 ish

Average calories were higher due to Saturday and Sunday being high/estimate days. Monday through Friday was right in my target range of 2300. Weight was down which I actually kind of expected since TOM showed up. I bloat before hand and then it goes away. Lifts are going well - I PR'ed in chest press this week and in general am progressing well with everything. Trying to take it slow but steady (but not too slow) so that I don't over do it and screw up my progression (which I've done in the past).

I'm going to raise calories to 2400 and I know I'll have some days/weekends coming up that I won't be tracking so my averages will certainly be higher than that. But I'm OK with that. I've been really focused on calories the last 5 weeks so I'm fairly confident that I know where my TDEE is and where I can be over it and not just be stuffing my face. I'm only traveling for one weekend over the holiday too so my workouts won't take a hit.

I haven't measured again but might do that tomorrow. Overall I'm sure I haven't grown but I'm not disappointed with how it's been going so far. Even though I haven't really "bulked" yet, the plan to do it has been giving me the focus that I needed so I'm happy with that. So, five weeks in many more to go!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Sounds like you're right on track!
  • TriLifter
    Great plan--nice work!