Exercise

Options
I find it very difficult to get enough exercise as I have agoraphobia so going out alone is out of the question. Most days my husband supports me so I can go out for a short walk but that's really to get me out of the house and into the fresh air. We go to dance class once a week (ballroom, jive etc) and we try to cycle a couple of times a week but the walking and cycling depend on the weather because in the UK manufacturers of waterproof trousers seem to think that only slim women want to go out in the rain or indeed take any outside exercise at all :grumble:

I have been looking for a suitable exercise video on youtube but they mainly seem aimed at the already fit, the elderly or those who are far less heavy than me. Then I came across these two. I'm sorry if you've seen them before but if you haven't they're maybe worth a try. I did the first one today and believe me my thighs, upper arms and stomach know they've been exercised :laugh:

They're produced by a Christian organisation but don't let that put you off. If you're open to the message then great but if, like me, you're not then just let it waft over you. They don't preach at you overtly. What I like is that the woman constantly tells you to do what you can do and doesn't expect you to keep up with her. She shows you what you could achieve over time but doesn't make you feel a failure when you can't do it all straight away.

Anyway have a look if you want and see what you think. They're only 10 minute videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN40iWW1QYE&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpWy79QvsY

Replies

• starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thank you for sharing these!!

Another great exercise series that you can do in your home with only a little space and that is appropriate for larger bodies or people that have not exercised in a while is "Walk away the Pounds" by Leslie Sansome. She is also on YouTube and I LOVE her...she can be a little chatty but it's not annoying (to me anyway). It's basically just a walk in place workout and she does add things like little kicks, knee lifts and side steps to get your heart rate up a little. Also, she has vides that range from 1 mile to like 5 or 6 miles I think.

Here's a link to one of the shorter walks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I love to turn on some music and dance with my kids. My daughter is 8 and we like doing the Just Dance games on the Wii, but if liitle brother (3) wants to join in we just do freestyle.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I am finding that even though FitnessBlender.com seems to target fitter people, even they have videos that were very doable for me at 320 pounds -- just focus on their videos that are labelled "low impact," "easy" and "beginner." I've been doing their Beginner Boot Camp A LOT, and have recently added in some low impact kickboxing and standing ab work from them too. :smile:
  • starchile
    Options
    I am finding that even though FitnessBlender.com seems to target fitter people, even they have videos that were very doable for me at 320 pounds -- just focus on their videos that are labelled "low impact," "easy" and "beginner." I've been doing their Beginner Boot Camp A LOT, and have recently added in some low impact kickboxing and standing ab work from them too. :smile:

Thanks for the tip!! I'm going to check this out right now. :)
  • starchile
    Options
    WOW!!! That Fitnessblender.com website is AWESOME!!!!! so many great workouts!

Thanks so much again for sharing!