New to keto? Are you hungry? Do you have cravings? (long)

Options

Replies

• KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    bump
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    bump
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    bump for new 2014 members!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great read! Thank you!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great read! Thank you!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it as well. Thank you. :)
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This was great! Love the references that you included. YES carbs make me crave more carbs and that gets me nowhere. I have PCOS and it's a never ending cycle. Very depressing. Thank you so much for writing this!!
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great summary and yes, covers all the key points around Atkins's approach to carbs vs fats. I would only like to STRESS that it is a misnomer that Atkins is about high protein low carb. You mentioned MODERATE PROTEIN which is exactly right. A lot of people go on Atkins overdoing the protein. Too much protein can bring on a gluconagenic effect similar to eating carbohydrates and so take you out of ketosis. It is a fine balance with proteins. Also it is recommended that supplementation of minerals may also be required if you are becoming light headed etc. on Atkins. If doing a lot of exercise you need to be careful in maintaining your sodium levels to prevent your body leaching out other minerals as a result. Ref: interview of Peter Attia MD on UTube ref:- Diet Doctor, Very Low Carb Performance.

The other thing I like to add from my own experience is to eat slowly and to stop eating as soon as I am no longer hungry. Better to have many small meals. Also, if you are insulin resistant to try and keep carbohydrates to no more than 5gm per meal as going over 5gm will increase insulin levels in your body.
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    You really must have a boring job! LOL

Thanks for putting all the "science-y" stuff into layman's terms. I have done much research on my own and though I'm no dummy, it is nice to see it all laid out and simplified. You really cleared up things for me and have given many great resources for even more info.

Carbs can go die in a fire! A metabolic, fat-burning, weight-melting fire! LOVE it.
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great info for a keto newbie. Thanks for taking the time to write.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great summary and yes, covers all the key points around Atkins's approach to carbs vs fats. I would only like to STRESS that it is a misnomer that Atkins is about high protein low carb. You mentioned MODERATE PROTEIN which is exactly right. A lot of people go on Atkins overdoing the protein. Too much protein can bring on a gluconagenic effect similar to eating carbohydrates and so take you out of ketosis. It is a fine balance with proteins. Also it is recommended that supplementation of minerals may also be required if you are becoming light headed etc. on Atkins. If doing a lot of exercise you need to be careful in maintaining your sodium levels to prevent your body leaching out other minerals as a result. Ref: interview of Peter Attia MD on UTube ref:- Diet Doctor, Very Low Carb Performance.

That's what I was trying to get at, haha. So much of the hate of Atkins comes from people who never took the time to read the book and did it "wrong" and failed and then spread misinformation to everyone else.

And yes, magnesium/potassium/calcium/zinc supplements are vital if you don't partake of a wider variety of ketogenic foodstuffs! I don't eat enough spinach or fish, so I have to keep my Mg tablets nearby. If I notice twitchy legs when it's bedtime, I know I need one.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You have written some great stuff here. But be careful when you say this information, like keto and metabolic syndrome, is gaining acceptance. I don't see that. If you look at other forums on MFP, you will see and army of nay-sayers that will lash out at you. This morning I put in my two cents in backing someone else up who posted a positive comment on Dr Robert Lustigs famous sugar a bitter truth video, and goodness did I get my buttocks kicked for that! There's a very strong sentiment out there that these highly qualified people ( like Lustig of UCSF) and the valid science behind them are quacks.

Yeah. the nay-sayers are pretty much a small group of *kitten* that cannot get past calories in vs calories out. It's like saying the only way to make a car go is to put in more gas, or to take away gas to make it stop. Anything else beyond CICO is quackery and just excuses by the obese to do what they want. They have no understanding of biology and the human body and they make me sick.

You want to know the reason why they make me sick? They disgust me because if I was starting my journey now, without and proir knowledge of how hormones work, then I'd take their advice, still be fat and tired and sick, and I'd probably have diabetes. They do a tremendous disservice to others by shooting down people like Lustig and they can go to hell.
    You should thank them, because of them, only those who have put in some time and effort on their own attempt this way of life. They help weed out the casual and fad dieters for you. Because of this unintentional assistance, they are giving you, the time you take to help and clarify things for us new people is not waisted on the uncommitted.

Just a new way to see it.:flowerforyou:
  • minibikinime
    minibikinime Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very helpful, thank you for posting!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
    Eating carbs makes you hungry for more carbs and sad. Eating fat and protein makes you full and happy.

LOL I did read it all, but excellent summary!!!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    So much of the hate of Atkins comes from people who never took the time to read the book and did it "wrong" and failed and then spread misinformation to everyone else.

This! I did Atkins a few years ago. I checked the old books out from the library and did a lot of reading. It amazes me how even the Atkins label promotes misinformation! Now it's just about making money from their products.

Also, I found this group by searching for "low carb" groups after I saw the animosity towards low carbers in the regular forums. I have never believed the CICO myth. It's the makeup of that calorie that's important.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ah, man, after like a year of eating badly and gaining about 40 lbs with a new job and everything... I really needed to reread this. MOTIVATION!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Great info. Well done.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

::flowerforyou::
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @bacitracin‌

Last night, about midnite, I read this post and I think it is one of the best summaries OF MY LIFE that I have EVER read. I am going to send it to four of my friends so that they can see what I have been struggling with for over 30 years. I ESPECIALLY like where you put statements in ALL CAPS. Because I felt the SAME way!!!

I will also link this in two of my blogs "Best Keto Links" & "Past good discussions".

You should be a book writer for Keto...! :D

Dan the Man from Michigan