Keto VS HCLF *high carb low fat*

Options
tanigrrrrr
tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
Okay, I love love love Keto, its sustainable for me.. cured meats and cheeses... full fat cream and butter... and loosing weight IN HEAVEN. So this question is more about curiosity rather than which way of eating is better. (cause for me there is no contest)

So my question is...

I basically eat around the same amount of calories per day as I would be High Carb.. At the same amount of calories in both methods how much extra would you expect to loose on the same calories but eating Keto.
I know that the body is far less efficient at using ketones so therefore needs extra to operate.. but Im wondering how big that gap is?

I personally will loose more weight on keto simply because im far more likely to stick to it.. but yeah. Just curious

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Well. I've heard of a 300 calorie advantage to a ketogenic diet, and have seen some evidence to back that up (but I don't have the source at my fingertips this moment). However, I don't think that it is because the body is less efficient at burning ketones. In fact when you become keto-adapted (depending on the person that would take 4-8 weeks of solid ketosis) your body becomes *very* efficient at burning fat for fuel. I think the issues witha high carb diet have to do with insulin release, and essentailly your body can be getting plenty of calories but the body doesn't "see " that becuase of high insulin levels. This concept is explained very well in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek.