UTI?

Options
Anybody have any information on if there is any relation to a Keto diet and getting a Urinary Tract Infection?

Just wondering, because I've only been doing Keto for around 2 weeks? And I have one now :-/ And this is my first one since I was about seven, haha. But I'm also not sure if the UTI is related because of other health symptoms/issues/things/ ME :-P, but I am curious to know, because I don't want to stop my Keto diet until this thing goes away if I don't need to. I seem to be getting mixed results when I look it up online.

Replies

• craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to have UTIs all the time when I was little too, and then the thing that started them back up when I was older was being sexually active. I think there's even less of a risk for UTIs with keto since the bacteria like sugar usually, and since there's far less in your system it may not develop as easily. But I'm just guessing on that.

This all may be a long shot for you, but I know how miserable UTIs can be. But personally, being keto makes me and my husband feel so much better that we're much more active in the bedroom. :) Like I said, I have no idea if this applies to you or not....but I've been taking more cranberry supplements and always rinse off afterward since I seem to be very susceptible to UTIs.

A tip: When I can tell a UTI is coming on, I chug water with baking soda in it to change the ph of my urine. I've fought off two UTIs with this method and didn't have to go on antibiotics. :) For next time!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree with mixed results from google on this. Here are some reddit threads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=UTI&restrict_sr=on

Drink more water!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I agree with mixed results from google on this. Here are some reddit threads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=UTI&restrict_sr=on

Drink more water!

^ this drink a lot more water. If you pee more than usual but the urine is more concentrated it irritates the skin more. the more dilute your urine the less it irritates.