Too Many Carbs?

Do you guys think 27 carbs is a lot for one day? I don't know, I'm new to this..

Replies

• sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    What's your target carb allowance? And is that count net carbs (total carbs minus total fiber)?
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    What's your target carb allowance? And is that count net carbs (total carbs minus total fiber)?
    Pardon my ignorance because I'm new to this but please can you explain what you mean by this and how you calculate? I'd be most grateful, thanks
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Pardon my ignorance because I'm new to this but please can you explain what you mean by this and how you calculate? I'd be most grateful, thanks

I am also curios about this
  • sb4480
    Different people have different targets because we're all different. <100g (net) is considered "low carb" but most people don't enter ketosis until they're under 50g, Atkins induction advises 20g. Some people find that they lose faster at 50g, some need to go even lower to get into ketosis and see the scale move.

I'm on my phone so I don't have the link handy, but there is a calculator that will help you figure out the macros you need to achieve your goal. I will try and find it tomorrow.

But for the most part it's trial and error. Atkins has you starting really low to jumpstart the process, but then you're supposed to add carbs until you match the amount of carbs to the amount and rate of loss that you're targeting.

So for me 27 net carbs is higher than I'd like because I aim to keep it under 20 net. But for someone else 27 is right on target. So the OP's post was too vague to answer because its all subjective

ETA-your daily allowance should be total carbs less fiber carbs (net carbs). So if you come in a 27 for the day but 7g are from fiber then your actual carb count for the day is 20. This is because while fiber inherently has carbs in it the body doesn't process it like typical carbohydrate so those carbs don't count.
  • Domane1963
    Thank you.... just to clarify the "carbs from fibre" thing.... do you mean carbs that are counted in vegetables as "fibre".... particularly green leafy stuff? I know they are high in fibre but what about oats? They're full of fibre too (and I am missing my daily porridge sooooo much!! lol)
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/keto there you will find lots of info plus a keto calculator to help you set your macros
  • sb4480
    Correct, the fiber count in what you eat is not counted in your total carbs. So the net carbs of oatmeal would be

Total carbs - fiber grams = the carbs you count (or net carbs).

If your(personal) daily carb allowance will accommodate the net carbs of your oatmeal plus the other carbs you're eating during the day from vegetables and other stuff, then you should be OK eating oatmeal.

My body is sensitive to carbs coming from grains and I personally don't digest oatmeal well so I avoid it. But I love oatmeal in general so I can see why you're missing it.
  • Domane1963
    A-ha.... now I'm beginning to understand. I've changed my setting on here so that it shows me the fibre as well as the carbs. Just out of interest, I have a flaxseed mix "omega 3" sprinkle on my oats which is listed at 3g carbs and 4g of fibre. Am I right in thinking that it actually a "credit" then?? lol
  • sb4480
    No, adding fiber does not negate carbs because your body is still processing the "other carbs" as carbs. Fiber basically just goes through you unprocessed. That's why fiber is recommended for constipation. Your oatmeal, even with the flax added, would still be worth the net carbs of the oatmeal. Does that make sense?
  • Domane1963
    That makes PERFECT sense! Thank you for enlightening me.... I feel a lot more educated now, much appreciated x