New Challenge - Bring this group to life

Options
thom2369
thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
Hello everyone! Let's bring this group a little more to life! I know there is a huge thread about weight loss on waygook.org but this MFP community could be so much more close. So, here is a question.

1. What are your weight loss goals for your time in Korea?

2. If you are going back to your home country how will you plan to adjust your diet when you get there?

Me:
1. Lost about 8 kg in a year and looking to lose 8 more kg!
2. I have no idea, its why I am asking. I guess...continue to eat a lot of kimchi when I get back. hahaha But, watch my portion sizes much more closely for sure. Not sure when I am going home but it is something I think about.

Replies

• KCarlssen
    KCarlssen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Thankful to have worked off 8 pounds. Ready for the next 8 to disappear.

2. No immediate plans to leave, but if I do it will mean searching for an Asian
    supermarket wherever I wind up. Have to keep a supply line open to my diet
    secret - meeyok soup. If Odduki ever stops making this stuff, or fails to export
    it, I am sunk.

As long as I am here I can find neighborhood restaurants that
    will make it, but outsideof Korea this kind of homestyle cooking just isn't
    going to be "cool" enough to ride the "Hallyu food" wave. Or they will
    charge some ridiculous amount of money for it...was so stunned the time
    I went to London and found bibimbap for $35. I pay 3,000 at my local
    eatery! Talk about sticker shock!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I lost 48 pounds in Korea and moved back home at the beginning of October. So far I have maintained back home. It was really hard at first because I just wanted to eat all the amazing breads, cheeses and other Western food that I had missed! Now Im back into a routine and I have found foods which suit my diet here. I do miss Korean food though! I had a good routine over there and knew what I could eat when out for dinner which wouldnt be really bad calorie wise etc.
    Good luck!
  • Beckisyear
    Options
    a little late but figured i'd post! I put on my weight in Korea, now I'm trying to get rid of it again. I'd like to become fit and healthy again. Joined this for motivation and to meet others on a similar mission to keep on track!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The trick is to only "eat Korean". If you take a look around, those who are in the habit of eating western
    food, ie. pizza, burgers, chips etc. are the folks who are putting on weight. There are so many kids at
    school who are beyond chubby. I know from experience that they are in for a long hard battle as adults
    if they don't get a grip on fat and carbs. Unfortunately, if parents don't keep an eye on their child's diet,
    there is not a lot that a teacher can do. We are all prone to choose immediate satisfaction over future
    benefits and it isn't an easy lesson to teach a person who is not ready for it.

Keep up the good fight, fellow waygooks. :wink:
  • sarahcyr3
    sarahcyr3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't really agree here. everybody always says Korean food is healthier but is it really? so much salt and fat from eggs and dressings and not to mention carbs. I tried eating only korean food and I turned into a dumpling!
  • dbzltm
    Options
    I'm tired of buying clothes online and wasting money doing it. I just want to lose enough weight to shop at regular korean stores. I don't need to be the ideal Korean size 2--I just need to be able to wear nice clothes. I'm also sick of hearing Koreans tell me that I should exercise more--I exercise a lot, thank you very much. I have PCOS so losing weight is really tough.

2. If you are going back to your home country how will you plan to adjust your diet when you get there?
    I'm not going back for long time--that's part of the problem. If I continue to live here I need to be able to buy clothes! Ahhh ㅠㅠ

I live in the middle of nowhere so thankfully, hiking and outdoor activities are plentiful!
  • dbzltm
    Options
    I can't really agree here. everybody always says Korean food is healthier but is it really? so much salt and fat from eggs and dressings and not to mention carbs. I tried eating only korean food and I turned into a dumpling!

I find the biggest problem for me is the white rice. My body just can't handle it. Koreans tell me over and over how the rice is the healthy part--riiiiight. You also gotta watch out for sodium and calories in sauces in Korean food! But any of the stews (kimchi jigae, doenjang kigae) are very good. If you shop at a farmer's market and prepare your own food, you can make Korean-style dishes much healthier. I stopped eating the school lunches and I immediately lost 5 pounds because I wasn't eating all that white rice every day.
  • sarahcyr3
    sarahcyr3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight so I can wear nice clothes as well. My goal has always been to be photographed for a street fashion magazine but I don't ever see them photographing anyone bigger than maybe size 10? I also am very picky with who I date. I want him to be super handsome but its kinda mean for me to be out of shape and want my partner to be fit. In reality I am trying to lose weight for me though. I have always seen myself as smaller than I am so I want my imagination to match my mirror.

I usually eat very healthy when I live at home. For some reason I always find it easier to find snacking veggies like celery and baby carrots at home. I am also less likely to try weird snack foods, because "weird" where I come from is pickle flavored chips.... ick
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Once I lost some weight and was finally able to fit into Korean sized clothes I definitely felt better. Though jeans are still a little snug on these thighs of mine. Dresses and skirts are perfect though. I have a handsome Korean bf who keeps his body looking fit so I want to be fit for him too. I agree with Sarah. If we want the good looking guy we gotta keep ourselves looking good too! Though street fashion magazine? I could never get into that because I am pretty sure I don't have the fashion gene. hehe