Read Starve Mode - want to dive in but can't convince myself

Options
2»

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Whew, definitely doing to keep following this in hopes it can calm and inspire me!

I lost 60lbs on a low-calorie diet with lots of cardio, began eating higher every other day(~1,200-2,000 on and off), gained 10lbs, and have been plateaued there for about a year. Jumped on the MFP diet in September with 1,250 calories and lost 2lbs, but haven't moved since then.
    I recently increased my calories from 1,200-1,300 to 1,500... stayed there for about three weeks, while doing StrongLifts 5x5, and all my clothes still fit.

Just upped to 1,610 this week, and already feel "fluffier," and was thinking to quit.
    Definitely going to go super-slowly to my estimated TDEE (2,010cals) and see how each step feels!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Whew, definitely doing to keep following this in hopes it can calm and inspire me!

I lost 60lbs on a low-calorie diet with lots of cardio, began eating higher every other day(~1,200-2,000 on and off), gained 10lbs, and have been plateaued there for about a year. Jumped on the MFP diet in September with 1,250 calories and lost 2lbs, but haven't moved since then.
    I recently increased my calories from 1,200-1,300 to 1,500... stayed there for about three weeks, while doing StrongLifts 5x5, and all my clothes still fit.

Just upped to 1,610 this week, and already feel "fluffier," and was thinking to quit.
    Definitely going to go super-slowly to my estimated TDEE (2,010cals) and see how each step feels!

Definitely take it slow and work your way up towards TDEE - if you give the process the time it needs and deserves, it is so worth it! Personally, I know it took me close to a year to get from maintaining on 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day to maintaining at 2,100, but I am so glad that I invested that time in myself!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Good morning ! I'm popping in to say HOWDY and to re-assure you that you are on the right path. The advice and feedback you are receiving from Haybales and Anitra is SPOT ON.

consistency and persistence = WIN !
  • ReddHott77
    ReddHott77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In!
  • pabboo
    pabboo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So a little christmas update from me.....

I am now at 2150 cals per day - more like 1225 over the last few days with Christmas food!
    And I am not eating terribly "healthily" - while I am not over my calorie output, I am walking a lot and training a lot, so am pretty much at the right level of intake here - bit I manage to eat a fair few mince pies and chocolate within my calorie allowance, which I am pretty sure is not ideal.

I am still thrilled with my progress, but less so with my (it seems to me) growing belly.... I have no tape measure here or scales but worry I have shot up on both.

Can someone put my mind at rest? Once I have found my calories intake needed to stay stable and am looking to cut, how would I go about it? I am worried that I am just going to bounce back and forth between this weight/size and this intake, and/vs losing weight but being unable to sustain it when I then go back to eating at TDEE again. If that makes sense.

I keep wavering between wanting to keep eating like this as my strength is just fab and I am making great gains in the gym - and I feel like I am doing what Leigh Peele and the good folks on here advocate - and wanting to cut so that I don't gain any more around my abdomen....
    But I also think I should stay here longer and ensure I am really stable before thinking about cutting down.

So, that's me, happy, eating and strength training to be awesome. And with a bit of a belly issue that, frankly, I probably just need to get over...
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    So a little christmas update from me.....

I am now at 2150 cals per day - more like 1225 over the last few days with Christmas food!
    And I am not eating terribly "healthily" - while I am not over my calorie output, I am walking a lot and training a lot, so am pretty much at the right level of intake here - bit I manage to eat a fair few mince pies and chocolate within my calorie allowance, which I am pretty sure is not ideal.

I am still thrilled with my progress, but less so with my (it seems to me) growing belly.... I have no tape measure here or scales but worry I have shot up on both.

Can someone put my mind at rest? Once I have found my calories intake needed to stay stable and am looking to cut, how would I go about it? I am worried that I am just going to bounce back and forth between this weight/size and this intake, and/vs losing weight but being unable to sustain it when I then go back to eating at TDEE again. If that makes sense.

I keep wavering between wanting to keep eating like this as my strength is just fab and I am making great gains in the gym - and I feel like I am doing what Leigh Peele and the good folks on here advocate - and wanting to cut so that I don't gain any more around my abdomen....
    But I also think I should stay here longer and ensure I am really stable before thinking about cutting down.

So, that's me, happy, eating and strength training to be awesome. And with a bit of a belly issue that, frankly, I probably just need to get over...

Sounds like your head is finally in the right place, and congrats on sticking it out! I think that generally if you are still wanting to cut, you are not quite there yet. When you are completely. and totally comfortable with where you are (in terms of the reset) and your weight has stabilized (minus those monthly fluctuations), then you are ready to cut. Remember, this is almost as much a mental issue as a physical one for most people. Both your body and your brain need time to totally heal.

How long have you been at this 2150 level? I would try to stay there for a couple of months prior to taking your cut. Enjoy this time and the awesome progress in the gym. Then, when you are completely ready mentally and physically, try a 15 % cut. Don't rush that cut - you really want your body to recognize that *this* is your true TDEE.

Hang in there and keep up the awesome work!!
  • pabboo
    Options
    A little update from me-

So I have now been at 2150 for 3 weeks. My weight has been steady at around 160lbs for that time (10lbs up on what it was when I started the reset) and my waist is 28" (1" up on what it was).
    I am now focussing on "cleaning up" what I eat - adding more healthful foods that make me feel good, and less sugar - with the 80% on target eating and 20% allowance for indulgence.
    I do want to cut still, but I also want to up my HIIT as I hope to do an obstacle race in April. So now is probably not the time to cut anyway, and I want to give myself a month or so more at this level of intake before cutting back.

Thanks for your continued support and advice, folks. :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You'll find HIIT properly done will make some great improvements eating at maintenance, since it's like lifting.

Enjoy, and very true for performance at a race, or to finish strong, deficit is difficult.

Is April a good muddy month for the obstacles?
  • pabboo
    Options
    You'll find HIIT properly done will make some great improvements eating at maintenance, since it's like lifting.

Enjoy, and very true for performance at a race, or to finish strong, deficit is difficult.

Is April a good muddy month for the obstacles?

Oh yes, we will get muddy.... I hope to do a 5km in March as the one I already signed up for in April is 16km (I am a little daunted!)