frustrated. feedback please?

Options
lebowski8
lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
the weight isn't melting away, as the books claim. I have no intention of stopping the keto diet, though. I'm convinced a keto diet will help me manage my metabolic syndrome without pills. But... I'm really frustrated! This is my first post.

I have to talk to somebody, and I don't know anyone else who is dieting at the moment. Because, yes, I want to lose weight and look good too. Call me vain.

I've read Taubes, Atkins, the Reddit Keto FAQ, and Eating Academy. I'm well versed in the science.

I've been on a keto diet for 35 days. So far, I've been tracking carbs, protein, and total calories with MFP. The tracking is stressing me out a lot. I stopped logging exercise because I was eating back calories. I set my calorie intake using the lowest of several calculators I've tried. I set my macros at Carb 5% Protein 20% and Fat 75% (though the first week I had carbs at 10%)

But weight isn't really coming off, melting away, as so many poetically claim. Those statements conjure up images of watching the needle drop a pound or two every week.

And, I think the 3 pounds I've lost is probably water, isn't it?

Before this round of keto that I started a weeks before joining MFP, I'd been on South Beach since January 2012. I started at 259 pounds with worrisome bloodwork. I lost 25 pounds over 10 months, and then basically plateaued for many months later. In september 2013, at 234 pounds, I decided to change things up since nothing was working on South Beach program anymore.

I did intermittent fasting for a month (16:8, plus one 500 calorie day a week). Then I started a keto diet (again). I'm using the urine strips again because I can't afford the blood strips. The strips are almost always in the slight to middle range.

I'm at 229 today. My goal is 160-165. I average 4 miles of walking a day, with light intensity.

Now, I did Atkins in 2001, and the fat did melt away back then. In 12 months, I lost 45 pounds, with 20 in the first 90 days. My physical activity was roughly the same then, though about once a week I did do some intense aerobic for 30 minutes. Back then, all I did was count carbs. I kept it under 35 grams 95% of the time. I used keto sticks only for the first 60 days. I drank a lot of bourbon and occasionally lower carb beer. And I remember never paying attention to portion size. I remember a lot of giant steaks. Big 4 egg omelettes with extra cheese. And full racks of ribs without sauce. It was pretty easy, except for the friends who kept telling me I'd die eating that way. I never got bloodwork done at that time though. And eventually I convinced myself that I might be thinner but I'd die sooner. The science wasn't so robust back then.

I guess I'm frustrated because I'm watching my diet intensely with MFP, more intensely than I did a decade ago. I'm using a scale to weigh all my portions which is time consuming. But the attention to detail isn't paying off. I feel like I could be doing better things with my time rather than tracking all this.

And maybe it's because I'm stressed out from setting my expectations too high, expecting my body to work like it did when I was 26. And today, at 38, I'm also concerned about my metabolic syndrome. My bloodwork was fair in 2012 & 2013, but alarming in November 2011, which was the kick I needed to start dieting.

I don't know what I'm asking for. Support? Encouragement?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this post.

Replies

• Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having a look at your food diary to see what advice I could possibly offer. Send a friends request and I'll be happy to support you and take a look. Any alcohol will set you back some, but if it is pure "vodka, Gin" then the setback would only be for the time in which it takes to burn the alcohol calories and you would not slip out of ketosis.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Likewise, I'm happy to help however I can.

Have you seen an endocrinologist and/or had your thyroid tested? What about a nutritionist?
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Thanks, I'll send a friend request
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Likewise, I'm happy to help however I can.

Have you seen an endocrinologist and/or had your thyroid tested? What about a nutritionist?

My thyroid tests came back in normal range. I've not seen an endocrinologist nor a nutritionist.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of metabolic syndrome you have, but I have one too, and I'm in a similar boat; I lost a ton of weight on Atkins 6 years ago, and I'm very strict about my keto'ing now, but I'm stalled.

Macronutrient ratios are important, and yours seem good. Mine are similar, but I've noticed that this time around calories are actually starting to matter a little. And not JUST calories, but overall gram amounts of carbohydrates, not just the 5% ratio I've got it set at here. I could theoretically eat 70+ grams of carbohydrate and it still be only 5% of my overall caloric intake, but it's still too high.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Agree with the thyroid testing. Did you test just tsh? if so ask for free t3 and free t4 and make sure they are at least in the middle range and see an endocrinologist.

And I have also lost 10lbs in 10 days the first time I went on a low carb diet 6 years ago. And had kept if off for a long time. But never after that I was able to do lose this much weight in this short time. Maybe , the first time the body had a major shock or something and then it got used to it.

I have been on keto for 4 days and haven't lost anything yet. I have only 15-20 lbs to lose, that could be why. I also have hypothyroidsm, but taking meds.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of metabolic syndrome you have, but I have one too, and I'm in a similar boat; I lost a ton of weight on Atkins 6 years ago, and I'm very strict about my keto'ing now, but I'm stalled.

Macronutrient ratios are important, and yours seem good. Mine are similar, but I've noticed that this time around calories are actually starting to matter a little. And not JUST calories, but overall gram amounts of carbohydrates, not just the 5% ratio I've got it set at here. I could theoretically eat 70+ grams of carbohydrate and it still be only 5% of my overall caloric intake, but it's still too high.

Thanks for the reply.
    . My timeline might be off somwehat in my venting, but in the past 5-6 weeks I've generally (90%) kept my carbs under 35 g , and on the 3 or 4 "off" days, under 60 g.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Agree with the thyroid testing. Did you test just tsh? if so ask for free t3 and free t4 and make sure they are at least in the middle range and see an endocrinologist.

When I have the next visit, I'll ask for the additional tests. I'm going to get a glucose meter this month. My last fasting test came out at 86, and that was back in May, when I was still doing the low GI diet. I'm curious to see what it is like now, and to get many points of data, not just 2 per year.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.
    . My timeline might be off somwehat in my venting, but in the past 5-6 weeks I've generally (90%) kept my carbs under 35 g , and on the 3 or 4 "off" days, under 60 g.

I hate to say it, but you might want to drop down to 25 for a bit and see how it goes.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    I'll be sure to keep it under 25 g. It isn't that hard, if I cut back on yogurt. I'm counting total carbs also, not net carbs.

I know that many say you can subtract the fiber, but I don't want to bother with the extra math.
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got the friend request, but your food diary is not open to friends either. I had to really cut my carbs deep (less than 10g a day) to start kicking in the fat loss when I stalled out. I was still in a calorie deficit, but didn't want to cut it so low that I started to burn muscle. Once I cut the carbs this low I was actually able to up the calorie intake on fat and protein and start the weight loss back up. This link may give you some help:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/weight-loss-plateau.html
  • lebowski8
    Options
    I got the friend request, but your food diary is not open to friends either. I had to really cut my carbs deep (less than 10g a day) to start kicking in the fat loss when I stalled out. I was still in a calorie deficit, but didn't want to cut it so low that I started to burn muscle. Once I cut the carbs this low I was actually able to up the calorie intake on fat and protein and start the weight loss back up. This link may give you some help:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/weight-loss-plateau.html

I have fixed the privacy setting, thanks for letting me know. And thanks for the tips & link.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey it's The Dude! :)

I can relate to your frustrations. A couple of things that helped me on my way:
    1) get all thyroid hormones checked and evaluated for optimal levels
    2) get a blood work panel if possible that will check food allergens and sensitivities, these can stall or stop weight loss entirely (once I eliminated the foods I found out I had allergies to, I was able to push forward)
    3) get hormonal factors checked, things like low testosterone will kill your attempts at weight loss or in building muscle

Hope that helps!
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Hey it's The Dude! :)

I can relate to your frustrations. A couple of things that helped me on my way:
    1) get all thyroid hormones checked and evaluated for optimal levels
    2) get a blood work panel if possible that will check food allergens and sensitivities, these can stall or stop weight loss entirely (once I eliminated the foods I found out I had allergies to, I was able to push forward)
    3) get hormonal factors checked, things like low testosterone will kill your attempts at weight loss or in building muscle

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips. I'll ask my doctor for these tests at the next visit.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'll be sure to keep it under 25 g. It isn't that hard, if I cut back on yogurt. I'm counting total carbs also, not net carbs.

I know that many say you can subtract the fiber, but I don't want to bother with the extra math.

I've had to do a deep cut in carbs to see weight come off & when it comes off, it does so almost imperceptibly. In the last few weeks, I've lost inches, NOT weight. I have metabolic issues & don't do well with sugars & starches.

I had to cut out nuts in exchange for the occasional spoonful of peanut butter (cause I'm greedy, lol) every now and then. I also had to cut out greek yogurt, but only after about 3 months of keto, and 2 months of a stall did I start to reassess.

The more activity I get, the quicker I need to buy new jeans. I have a fairly active job (dog walker) so with 6 30 minute dog walks per day, I can get 10k steps easily but when I get upwards of 12k, I seem to get smaller quicker.

Currently I'm at meat & veggies and do best at this way of eating.

I would say to decrease carbs further, and increase activity. If this doesn't do the trick, I would question the type of metabolic disturbance you have & pin it down. Good luck.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same as you, but what works for me is turn up the crease. Less of the rest and more fat like coconut oil, pork rinds etc do the trick. I also noticed some food sources don't work well for me. If I eat hard cheese I gain even tho it's low carb, so I skip that completely now.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't have good advice regarding weight loss, because that is secondary to me, but I do know that our metabolism does tend to slow down as we age. You got some good advice here regarding medical tests and cutting carbs. I've had luck actually increasing calories and making sure I have very high amounts of saturated fats in my diet.

Also, I've learned in reading labels and ingredients, that sometimes manufacturers will change the way they make a product. For instance, some mayonnaise brands now contain sugar when they did not before. My best suggestion is to double-check the ingredients of what you eat - sometimes there are surprises that can halt your progress.

I really wish you luck on your journey.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    I think i will try to eliminate one common "problem" food just one at a time, on a week by week basis, to see what happens.

I eat a lot of dairy foods, for example, especially hard cheese and yogurt. I could start with the hard cheese next week.
    I am facing the same as you, but what works for me is turn up the crease. Less of the rest and more fat like coconut oil, pork rinds etc do the trick. I also noticed some food sources don't work well for me. If I eat hard cheese I gain even tho it's low carb, so I skip that completely now.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    I don't have good advice regarding weight loss, because that is secondary to me, but I do know that our metabolism does tend to slow down as we age. You got some good advice here regarding medical tests and cutting carbs. I've had luck actually increasing calories and making sure I have very high amounts of saturated fats in my diet.

Also, I've learned in reading labels and ingredients, that sometimes manufacturers will change the way they make a product. For instance, some mayonnaise brands now contain sugar when they did not before. My best suggestion is to double-check the ingredients of what you eat - sometimes there are surprises that can halt your progress.

I really wish you luck on your journey.

Thanks.
    I agree about the double-checking of ingredients. I was looking for no HFCS / no sugar added tomato sauces. I went to 3 supermarkets before I found some. I've also found HFCS and sugars in most brands of sausage / wurst / hotdogs. Finding brands without those additives is time consuming.
  • lebowski8
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I've been losing inches?? I haven't even thought of remeasuring myself! thanks for the Good idea :)

I've had to do a deep cut in carbs to see weight come off & when it comes off, it does so almost imperceptibly. In the last few weeks, I've lost inches, NOT weight. I have metabolic issues & don't do well with sugars & starches.

I had to cut out nuts in exchange for the occasional spoonful of peanut butter (cause I'm greedy, lol) every now and then. I also had to cut out greek yogurt, but only after about 3 months of keto, and 2 months of a stall did I start to reassess.

The more activity I get, the quicker I need to buy new jeans. I have a fairly active job (dog walker) so with 6 30 minute dog walks per day, I can get 10k steps easily but when I get upwards of 12k, I seem to get smaller quicker.

Currently I'm at meat & veggies and do best at this way of eating.

I would say to decrease carbs further, and increase activity. If this doesn't do the trick, I would question the type of metabolic disturbance you have & pin it down. Good luck.