SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
This article speaks VERY loudly to me!

http://paleomovement.com/paleo-acohol-exemption/

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I am so guilty of this. I don't drink often but tend to drink several drinks when I do. I try to get vodka, club soda and lime cause I figure it is low sugar. hmmm I'll have to reconsider.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, many of us seem to excuse alcohol. I still have some occasionally (once every month or two) and I notice very much what it does to my health, and it acts just like sugar on my metabolism. I struggle with cravings and hunger for days after, besides feeling like total crap. I still choose to do it occasionally, but I do NOT excuse it. I mix with water (wish our stores had club soda!) but it doesn't lessen the blow.
  • TripleRadiance275
    TripleRadiance275 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Aww yay! It's Sara's blog. I started out my Paleo journey as someone who didn't drink often to begin with. I drink even less often now and never react badly to it. A room full of cigarette smoke, however, does me in.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Alright, I am going to defend my alcohol consumption but of course everyone is different. I don't have any adverse affects of alcohol (in my case dry red or white wine) if I count it in my carbs (less than 50) for the day. The adverse affects he mentions in the article seem the common ones found when eating a SAD diet with higher carbs and processed food. If my fat/protein/carbs are in line with paleo/primal I feel just fine. Just saying....
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has been the hardest thing for me to give up. In the beginning, the thought of going a whole 30 days without a glass of wine was painful. I couldn't even do it--I ended up having two glasses of wine during that month.

I'm giving it another go now and I'm determined not to fail this time. Just 30 days. That's what I tell myself to keep my brain from screaming in protest. The reality is that I'm hoping after 30 days, I will have trained my habitual self to not see Friday night with a movie and a glass of wine as a reward for another week of good choices.

Perhaps after this 30 days (and I'm only on day 8), I can commit to giving it up completely until I've fixed all of my health issues completely. I have at least a year-long road ahead of me in terms of weight loss. It's going to be a long year.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Wow, Tank you! Just the kick-in-the-pants I needed this morning. I am training for an event and have a party this weekend (my favorite party of the year), so I have been going back and forth on whether or not to drink while there.... Thanks for pushing me off the fence!!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Urgh - wish I hadn't read this. It's really going to put a downer on my weekend binge :P

Honestly, I do not understand why I find it soo difficult to stop drinking. I guess it's the social and cultural aspects of it.
    There's just something so unsatisfying about going out with the guys and drinking water, or going out for a nice dinner and not having some wine.

I guess if my ultimate goal was to be in the absolute best shape possible, I'd cut out alcohol; but I need a balance between health and enjoyment of life and to me completely cutting out booze would be cutting out a huge portion of my social life. It's also why I'll have the occasional pizza or nachos.

Good article though and it's definitely food for thought. I have been trying to move to 'less bad' alcoholic beverages (ex: vodka sodas over beer).
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty anti-social, so I have little trouble giving up drinking when I decide to. Beside that, alcohol is a second-rate drug anyway. I can think of other substances I'd rather use, but I don't use those either. I can tell you that cutting it out 100% for several months early on this year, did very little to help me attain any goals I had. So, this article is a little presumptuous.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy did me the favor of breaking my drinking habit... but occasionally I will go out to a party and partake, or drink a glass of wine at home or with a dinner out. I'm not one who drinks regularly. Maybe I'll have a glass of wine or other drink 10 times a year?? As a non-drinker, this article doesn't help me...

My sister, however, is an "every other weekend partier" (when her kids are with their dad) and desperately needs to read this. Thanks for sharing, Nicci!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I don't drink anymore,it's been close to 1.5 years now.If only I could commit the next 1.5 years to no sugar,then I think I would see the changes I am looking for..one day at a time..or is that booze :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty anti-social, so I have little trouble giving up drinking when I decide to. Beside that, alcohol is a second-rate drug anyway. I can think of other substances I'd rather use, but I don't use those either. I can tell you that cutting it out 100% for several months early on this year, did very little to help me attain any goals I had. So, this article is a little presumptuous.

I don't think the article was talking so much about the person that only drinks occasionally, and only has a couple of drinks when they do. I think it was talking more to the weekend partier. The guy that does strict Paleo all week, then Friday and Saturday nights are spent in the bars, getting smashed on their favorite booze.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article was talking so much about the person that only drinks occasionally, and only has a couple of drinks when they do. I think it was talking more to the weekend partier. The guy that does strict Paleo all week, then Friday and Saturday nights are spent in the bars, getting smashed on their favorite booze.

Ya, that's me unfortunately.

Maybe not both Friday and Saturday, but at least one of those and usually a pint (or glass of wine) or two a few nights a week.
    The worst part is that after a few drinks, I get cravings and then start eating garbage.

I consistently lose 4-5lbs Monday-Friday, and then gain 3-5lbs over the weekend. Most of it is water weight, but still.

We're having a kid in a month or so though so I'm assuming that'll cut into my 'partying' a bit.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, interesting reading.
    When I first started eating primal I thought it would be okay to include wine as long as it fitted into my carb profile but I've learnt it doesn't work that way. Drop the wine and drop the weight. I sleep better, wake easier, feel more alert and reduced joint pain in my hands.
    I used to have a couple of glasses of wine a night - there was often a glass waiting on the bench for me when I got home from work! I live surrounded by vineyards that make some stunning wines and live in a household that eagerly awaits the annual local cellar releases (and has an extremely well stocked cellar - we could party for weeks without running dry!) so saying no isn't always easy. I'm guilty of exceptions though - I still have a glass every couple of weeks and use a little in my cooking where the alcohol is evaporated. There's also the wine exporter friend that comes to stay every few months - he brings wines that aren't available in the local market and retail at $100 plus overseas plus he always wants an opinion on samples he's considering exporting. Hard work but somebody has to do it ;-) I pay for it afterwards though.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I know that alcohol consumption (1-2 nights every weekend lately!) has led to a stall in my husband's weightloss progress and it has led me back to some symptoms that I'd rather forget about, we're thinking of forgoing all alcohol until New Year's eve. It would do us both a lot of good, I think!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I know that alcohol consumption (1-2 nights every weekend lately!) has led to a stall in my husband's weightloss progress and it has led me back to some symptoms that I'd rather forget about, we're thinking of forgoing all alcohol until New Year's eve. It would do us both a lot of good, I think!

I've just been thinking 'i can't take a break from alcohol NOW, the festive season is approaching!'

I did notice that when I started eating paleo, my hangovers went from crappy to horrendous.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I'm banking on the theory that our primal brothers also indulged in Magic Mushrooms and Marijuana time to time :smokin: :glasses: :smokin: :glasses:
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm banking on the theory that our primal brothers also indulged in Magic Mushrooms and Marijuana time to time :smokin: :glasses: :smokin: :glasses:

Ha! I'm sure they partook of various substances. I have doubts that it was often enough that evolution factored it in to our physiology. As a matter of fact, I should think that if it did, those substances wouldn't really have much of the effects that people consume the drug for to begin with.

Having said that, it's important to not get sucked into the dogma of, "Grok did it/would have done it, therefore it's healthy to do it." The purpose of paleo diet and fitness is for health. The purpose of substance use, is recreation, healthy or otherwise. Find the balance that makes you most happy and go with it, I say.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    bump !!! I need to read this
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    excellent read...now to do it!! I know thats whats holding me back ....I enjoy my wine with dinner, and like another poster the whole social aspect ...:ohwell:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    TBH... I haven't had a drink since before I posted this! I'm holding out for the company Christmas party next month!