Ever been this frustrated?

Options
Rindabu
Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
I'm about one month in and I've lost 36lbs. At my one month appointment my doctor seemed a little disappointed that i hadn't lost more. The nurses all had this attitude like they were trying to reassure me the weight would come off. Ever since then, I've been obsessed with staying strictly to the diet plan and exercising every day. It's like my body is holding on to every little bit of fat for dear life. Honestly, it has sucked the joy out of every little milestone so far. I'm lighter than i have been in 4 years and I still feel like i'm failing.

I guess I was wonder if anyone here who is farther along ever experienced this.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't remember what I lost the first month, but 20 to 30 pounds a month is a LOT. I had gastric bypass on 9/27/12 and have lost about 110 pounds--and have been at normal BMI for about the last 4 months.
    As for the diet, every day, every moment of every day, I have stuck to my meal plan and exercise routine. Remember that surgery is only a tool to help us get where we need to be. We have to do the work since it's not a magic fix.
    Most days I am hungry--to the point that I feel starved almost. I still crave sweet things now and then. I just choose to ignore those feelings most of the time. When I indulge, I don't eat 5 cookies, but a half of one or a tiny bite or sliver of cake.
    Not understanding why your surgical team is unhappy with the weight you have lost. Persevere and stick with your meal and exercise plan and everything will go fine. Honestly, 36 pounds is amazing!!!!

Hey, I just went through my weight loss stats and on the date of my surgery I was 218 and one month after I was 190.2, so that is roughly 28 pounds. I received a ton of praise from my surgeon. Don't get frustrated! You are doing awesome!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is a great 1st month loss!! This Monday will be 4 weeks post op for me and I won't be half of that loss. My first week I just lost the water i gained in the hospital and the last 2 weeks I've lost 11 pounds. I expect this Monday to drop another 2 or so. So yes, you've done great!! Don't let it get you down. Come back often to share your journey. :)

Debbie
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I had lost 17 pounds at my three week check-up and my doc and nurses said I was doing great. So, you are doing awesome and don't let anyone tell you different!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Don't remember what I lost the first month, but 20 to 30 pounds a month is a LOT. I had gastric bypass on 9/27/12 and have lost about 110 pounds--and have been at normal BMI for about the last 4 months.
    As for the diet, every day, every moment of every day, I have stuck to my meal plan and exercise routine. Remember that surgery is only a tool to help us get where we need to be. We have to do the work since it's not a magic fix.
    Most days I am hungry--to the point that I feel starved almost. I still crave sweet things now and then. I just choose to ignore those feelings most of the time. When I indulge, I don't eat 5 cookies, but a half of one or a tiny bite or sliver of cake.
    Not understanding why your surgical team is unhappy with the weight you have lost. Persevere and stick with your meal and exercise plan and everything will go fine. Honestly, 36 pounds is amazing!!!!

Hey, I just went through my weight loss stats and on the date of my surgery I was 218 and one month after I was 190.2, so that is roughly 28 pounds. I received a ton of praise from my surgeon. Don't get frustrated! You are doing awesome!

I agree
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. You've lost more than I did my first month, and I was a lot bigger than you.

You will have some weeks where you may not lose at all. Don't lose sight of the big picture. Have a good plan, and stick to it, and it will work out fine. Do this for yourself, not other people.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bubu_, I'm very happy to read all the replies, so far that can prove to you how different we all are in our weight loss journey. I, as well, would have been disappointed had my surgeon said he "was surprised I didn't lose more." Granted I'd already lost 50lbs before my surgery in January '12. Instead, when I weighed in 6 weeks out and 12 lbs down, he stated "excellent work, you have now lost 77 total pounds, keep up your good work." Remember, this is a lifestyle change and process and everyone' s body handles that process differently. You (and your surgeon/MD) should be proud of your progress. You've made outstanding progress!Now stay focused and keep plugging. Take time to be proud of your accomplishments - it is not easy to prep and endure the surgery, recover, and keep going. If your surgeon can't be proud of you, suffice to know that WE ALL ARE ~ don't be discouraged. You GO GIRL! :drinker:
    Christine
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I believe you are doing great!!! I am 3 weeks out right now and went from 237 on the day of surgery to 220 today. When I seen my Dr last Monday I had only lost 13lbs and everyone said that I was doing wonderful! My Dr did comment on a 3rd week stall cause he said that is when you go to soft foods and some tend to not lose as much during week 3 and 4 but it sounds like you are doing amazing with losing 36lbs!!!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything in the first month! I was very frustrated, but my doc and the team calmed me down. I started losing right after that and it's been pretty steady since. I think you're doing great! Hang in there.
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was just at my WLS support group meeting last night and other were talking about their big losses during the first month....in the 30's. And I've just lost 17 pounds. But they also said everyone loses it at a different pace. I'm better with it. My clothes are looser so I know it's coming off. I will be anxious to see what the dr's office says next week with my results.