Need help before I get too frustrated and give up

Options
parrotlover
parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
I have lost almost 20lbs since the very end of may...but over the last few months my weight loss has significantly slowed down to snail pace. I try to exercise at least 20mins a day but do try to do more. I try to eat healthier and stay under my calories . I do go over calories some days..Why has my weight loss slowed. I have so much more to lose. Can someone give me ideas. Should I cut out everything except for healthy foods....what am I doing wrong

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hi Parrotlover,
    I would say, #1 don't give up. There's alot you can do at this point.
    #1 - Adjust your calories intake, decrease it by 100 calories until you see the scale move.
    #2 - Stop your current exercise and do something different, if you run, do swimming, try Insanity.
    #3 Measure all of your food, make sure it = to your calories in quota,
    #4 get a HRM (spend $60) and work out until you hit 500 calories or 1000 calories
  • parrotlover
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I was really thinking of doing some of your suggestions before you stated them. I really want to get a fitbit one. I think it will make sure I am more accurate and it syncs with MFP. I also am going to start measuring.. Like this moring I measured my cereal and I was actually logging that I was eating more than I was. I thought I was actually under measuring but I wasn't. Also. I noticed that if I go over my calories on the weekend I tend to lose weight...so I wonder if I am not eating enough.
  • parrotlover
    Options
    Bump anyone else have suggestions? I will take whatever I can get! thanks
  • c_lui
    c_lui Posts: 2
    Options
    Try upping the intensity of your workouts. Your body may be getting use to the routine, so it's no longer working effectively.

When I hit a plateau, I try swapping out one or two meals with replacement meals or doing a cleanse to reboot my system.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Measuring your food is very important and include every little thing, even a mint! Don't go under 1200, your metabolism will slow down if in starvation mode.

Sugars? Are you eating too much bread and pasta or sweets?

Weights? Are you using weights? Muscle burns more calories well after your workout is done.

Are you able to up your workouts to 30min?

What ever you do, don't quit. If you gain that 20lbs back you'll wanna kick yourself and then it may end up in gaining even more.
  • jobi1kanoobi
    Options
    There was a great post in the forums a while ago about someone who was under eating and not losing weight as a result. Although initially you see a good weight loss, eating too little will slow your metabolism significantly and make it difficult to lose weight. If you start measuring your food and realise that this is the problem then don't be disappointed if you gain a little to begin with, you need to retrain your body to take more food to undo the effects of the under eating. After this you will notice the scales going in the right direction again.

If this isn't the case, then I say mix up your routine a bit more. Make sure you build strength workouts in with cardio, although cardio is good for burning fat, muscle will increase your metabolism as it takes more to sustain it.

You have done really well so far so don't give up now!